• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

i think i messed up

cabbie

Android Expert
Mar 23, 2010
I rooted my phone and was so excited to finally figure it out, that I flashed freshrom1.1 and gumbokernal before I did a nandroid backup. I know I should have made one immediately THEN flashed them.

Where does this leave me when fresh gets updated for 2.1? :(

I suppose my question is, could i flash another ROM over my existing one? Something I'm not clear on is compatibility...I know I can have both fresh and gumbo, but get the impression that if I wanted cyanogen I would need to revert to pre-fresh status. I suppose my worry is that I need to return to a state without freshrom1.1 to add on the new one, or any new one. Its confusing to me.

Upvote 0
You can flash any ROM on top of anything via recovery... provided most of the DEVs suggest to go for a complete wipe before flashing. This will clearly be indicated it in the ROMs' release page. That is all...
As far as I know none of the ROMs that exist would recommend us to move any particular previous state in-order to flash it.
EVEN if they say, it is pretty much possible for us to run the official HTC RUU and bring back our phone to "pre-root" condition (stock ROM). This step will rewrite all our custom hBoot, Recovery etc... with official one. From here on we need to root our phone again and continue...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones