I think I might root my desire

Last Updated:

1. Spacedementia87

Spacedementia87 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

It depends which a2sd you want. You have 2 choices, default 2.2 a2sd, or the old (and best in my opinion) style rooted a2sd.

After rooting using the modaco guide

for normal:
    - just flash the 2.2 rom and you get the native a2sd inside froyo

for (best) a2sd
    - partition your sdcard then flash the 2.2 rom and you get automatic old style a2sd

3. Spacedementia87

So it is as simple as creating a partition. Don't need to install anything extra?

One more thing I am worried about... I like to have all my contacts linked to Facebook, and they all say they are linked through "facebook for HTC sense" so will I loose this?

4. Spacedementia87

Also that 0:8 guide is so different from your 0.75 guide. Makes me wary. I have bricked a phone before and don't want to do it to this one.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Yep, for the deFrost ROM if it detects an ext partition it will install apps to there.

default android also links to facebook, all mine are linked via the facebook for android app :p

I haven't used the 0.8 guide myself (all my guides I have done personally) so I can't tell you anything definite, but it is very hard to brick an android phone.

6. Spacedementia87

I'll probably want to go for that 2.2 Rom that is up here.

You can understand why I am wary when I have such an expensive handset and I don't want to go back to my inq1! I will post a brief outline of what I plan to do after the weekend and it would be awesome if you could check that it looks alright.

7. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

hey spacedementia,

I used the modaco r6 root method (with bootloader 0.80) last night. the guide is simple, it looks too simple and that is always worrying, but the fact it that there's nothing to it, and if you follow it you should have no problems.
    my tips:
    1. dont panic!! a number of the stages take time and look like nothing doing, and your fone will turn off and on and appear to have crashed, and show an htc screen you havent seen before, and... dont panic!!
    2. make sure HTCSYNC is installed on pc (it doesnt have to be open/running, in the system tray is enough)
    3. make sure you 'copy' the update.zip from the unzipped r6 to sdcard, but leave the original copy (zipped, as is) in the pc directory... I 'cut' it and then had to go through most of an evening of PANIC!! until I worked out my mistake.
    4. if you do get errors on the fone, dont panic... just reboot it from the list... if it hangs on reboot, dont panic... remove the battery if nothing doing. Then, without panicking, make sure you have completed each step as instructed. and everything is where it should be. Then repeat
    5. DONT panic... take your time, and you can get it right first time... if you do, you will have a rooted desire in well under an hour
    6. follow lekky's (great) instructions to install DeFrost & radio (after Titanium Backup, rom manager etc) or whatever rom you like
    7. stay cool, dont panic; done it once and it's easy, and the rom manager approach is the biggest doddle ever

Please don't take offence, I am not being condescending; this is a set of tips based on the mistakes I made and the fixes I thought through. Also, I am a pretty calm person, but was near freaking out at one stage when nothing was working. The irony is, I didn't like the new rom/android look & feel, so have unrooted and my desire is nearly back to how it was 24hours ago, I just have to tweak the last few settings. Rest assured that it is possible to return to the start!

8. Spacedementia87

I want to try and get hold of the original htc sense rom first so I can go back if i want. Where do I find this?

9. kilroy

kilroy Well-Known Member

10. Spacedementia87

Final thing before I start...

"ONLY if the above download is not suitable - if you have a bootloader version 0.80.xxxx or below AND a current ROM of 1.21.xxx.x or below"

I am on 2.1 or is that not the thing i should be looking for?
    Firmware version or software number? lol

11. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

find bootloader by turning off desire then holding down 'volume down' and pressing power

software information> build number or software number is the same

IMPORTANT: for the RUU's if you have a 0.80 boot and 1.21 the shipped-rom link from modaco may not have your version... if you google search there are other sites... I'll have to check this evening where I got mine from

12. Spacedementia87

Ok I am properly stuck now

You said to just partition the sd card. Easier said than done. I don't have linux installed on my pc so cant use that to make an ext partition. Tired using Rom Manager to do it and it doens't seem to work. Did the partition thing and my sdcard still has all the files on it and i don't think the partition has been made. So how can i partition my SDcard

13. Spacedementia87

Ok I did get my sd card partitioned in the end, but it still doesn't look like apps2sd is working. I have no checkbox under applications to choose or anything. How can I tell?

14. Spacedementia87

Also now i can't seem to add my google of my flickr accounts to the sync. Just my facebook. Are they only available with HTC Sense?

15. Spacedementia87

Oh and I can't use the phone and ~90% of apps can't load including the stock web browser and the market. LOL think i may go back.

16. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

17. Papex

Papex Active Member

Hi,
    Like Spacedementia87 I'm considering rooting my Desire and then upgrade it. So I'm curious about the outcome of this.
    However, as a fan of Sense (I really haven't tried anything else but just heard that basic Android shouldn't be that interesting) I don't know if I should just wait a bit.

Another question: kboya you write that HTC sync should be installed on a PC. As far as I know, this program is only available on PC's running Windows. Is this correct? Well I'm running Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what to do.

18. kboya

kboya Well-Known Member

I can only speak for windows, and only have experience of the guides (i.e. Lekky's, modaco's) for that system, as the OP implied he was using a pc

hope that clears it up, good luck with the rooting if you choose to do so

19. Spacedementia87

Ok i went with this ROM 27/May r3.1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for HTC Desire with Online Kitchen - Android @ MoDaCo

and now everything is working fine. Though I installed the one with apps2sd+ using the online kitchen and initially i thought it was working. When i installed apps off my backup my phone storage space didn't drop. However then I installed a few new apps off the market space and the storage space dropped from 115MB to 90MB. Maybe i need to check the partitioning on the SD card. But I don't have linux installed. Is there another way to do it?