I think I tethered too much!! :-(

Last Updated:

1. DroidJnkie

DroidJnkie Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I love tethering on wifi for root users!

BUT I have downloaded maybe 3 or 4 gigs the last 3 days and I am scared that Verizon will do something terrible to me! Am I going to get into trouble???

:eek:

Advertisement
  2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

That would probably put you on their radar. I would lay very low for awhile.
    :cool:

3. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Yeah... I would suggest not doing anything else. There's that age-old rumor that if you go above 5GB in a month they "audit" your data usage. I wouldn't test that rumor if I were you. ;)

And keep us posted on what happens at the end of this month. :O

4. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

That's a lot for a few days but I bet you will be ok. But you probably don't want to make a habit of doing that. Its stuff like this that will ruin tethering for everyone. Last thing we need is our unlimited plans getting a cap put on them.

5. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

I, personally, dont think anything will happen. My reason?

A non-root user can still run a tethered droid with PDAnet or Easy Tether. Im sure you know it gives them access to tether.

Even if they tether as much as you have, would they get in trouble? No, and thats because it happened to be an application that was available to them without the rooting of their system.

Is it different than doing it wifi? I wouldnt think so, its the same data being used.

Just my 2cents. Hope it eases your mind. lol

6. njKeever

njKeever Well-Known Member

I don't think that just because an app doesn't require root means that it doesn't break your TOS.

7. s1ckGhost

That does make sense, and excuse my ignorance in this matter but is there any app (non-root) that can break your TOS with any heavy use?

wifi tethering is just a speculation of giving the ability that it could break your TOS, but thats to say that VZW can trace that its being tethered using wifi. I guess that would mean that you'd have to go under the radar like was said.

I dont know....buuuut Happy Tethering =D

8. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

The new palm phones on Verizon have tethering so I would assume that it dose not break your tos. As long as your not doing anything illegal you should be alright.

9. droidpcguru

droidpcguru Well-Known Member

It is possible to run that much up with the internet radio apps also, so I wouldn't worry.

10. ronaldramsayii

ronaldramsayii Well-Known Member Developer

I think it's safe to say everyone here has different opinions about the 5GB cap for Verizon. Wouldn't it be easier to just call and ask a rep and use easy tether or PDAnet as an example?

11. Branndon

Branndon Well-Known Member

when does your billing cycle reset? I want to watch this thread. I never tether, but am curious.

12. kg6epf

kg6epf Well-Known Member

With all due respect to you, this is exactly what I've been worried about.

People tethering as the main internet connection, people connecting to their game consoles... This is the sort of thing that could make a provider (VZW) find a way to lock down the phones better, or track things better and make us all pay more.

You all know that you aren't supposed to. Use it but don't abuse it.

13. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

+1. This is how I feel about tethering also. I have used it a few times when I'm on the road with no wifi nearby but only for work related stuff that I can't do on the Droid. I'm sure you can use this much or more watching a ton of YouTube videos or using Pandora 24/7 but those things don't violate the ToS. It specifically says we are not allowed to tether our Droid's to any internet capable device for data usage. The Palm mobile hot spot is different, it is specifically for Palm devices.

You may be on the radar now, so just be safe and don't tether for awhile. They can very easily see what type of data you have been accessing from a simple interface they have available. If they see any torrent stuff, online gaming, windows updates, application downloads for pc's and so on then they will flag your account, after that they will go through it with a fine tooth comb and every MB of data you used via tethering will net you some extra charges.

14. snake_fist_gung_fu

snake_fist_gung_fu Well-Known Member

So its ok for Palm users to do it but not for Droid? Im sorry but thats kinda gay if you ask me. Still I agree you should not be using it for torrents. Thats illegal anyway but I would guess with my online gaming (Storm8 games) and Pandora and Slacker radio that I prob reach that number also.

15. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

Verizon is trying to sell through their palm devices since its possible that the company is going to be sold. So they are offering an incentive.

16. CRPercodani

I'm not the one who made the decision, VZW did.

17. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

change their minds for us. Optimus Prime smash? :D

18. s1ckGhost

+1. Please?

19. CRPercodani

lets roll out

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

20. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

21. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Yep, comes down to Verizon needing to sell the Palm inventory that is slow selling. All other phones (Blackberry, etc) that can tether, are charged an extra fee ($29.99 IIRC). Verizon is supposed to release an official tether app one day for Android. When they do, they will charge the extra $29.99 a month + give a 5 GB limit on it.

Also, I believe they have methods to tell if tethering is being used, rather than normal data (I think it has something to do with port numbers)...

22. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Wait I thought I read somewhere that Verizon stopped charging the extra monthly fee for tethering...

23. CRPercodani

Yea for Palm they did.

24. ska.t73

ska.t73 Well-Known Member

Maybe that was it then... I don't think I should be too worried, I only use tethering to listen to Pandora on my ipod touch in the car (sorry but the iPod is so much better for music, until I can get an equalizer for the Droid :p)

Well that and I use the tether to control my life sized robot of mass destruction...

25. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

lucky for us your 3G is slow. I shouldn't have to worry about that robot for at least another 10 years. :D