• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think I understand root but....NAND and recovery???

In order to flash custom kernals and Roms. You have to have the NAND unlocked which allows you to install a custom recovery. This let's you install Roms like the MOTO droid users have been doing and allow us to get plan froyo and such. Allows you access to all your system files also. Hope this helps. I am fairly new to android within the past year but had lots of experience flashing custom Roms on my MOTO droid before moving to the incredible now I am just waiting for NAND unlock for the start of custom Roms.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Basically NAND is the phones internal memory. Generally, the internal memory is locked to prevent users and applications from modifying core system files unless the client has root privi's. This is why currently, even though you have root, you cannot fire up a console within the phone, write something to /system and retain that information. Currently, you will either get an 'access denied' error, or, the system will reboot itself when the changes commit.

Custom recovery refers to a recovery mode that gives all access to the system files. Right now, booting into recovery leaves you with nothing but allowing you to push a special "update.zip" , factory reset, or reboot. The only way we actually have the ability to do soemthing is through the exploits that we have been trying to use to get root access. With a custom recovery, we wont need to worry about hacking through exploits as the recovery will be open and customized for the device (so we can update the os, make backups, write stuff to /system/ etc)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones