I think I'm infected... zero-day flash flawSupport

Last Updated:

1. larrysimmons

larrysimmons New Member This Topic's Starter

I can't be the first person to claim this, but I do think I have become infected by some type of virus or malware. I recently downloaded the new flash player for Android, which I'm told has this new security flaw. Today I noticed for the first time while I was browsing the Internet that it appears as though someone has taken over my browser. They were scrolling up and down, left and right, and even tabbing (sounds like they're on an actual machine) through the various hyperlinks on the page. Later, I was in my gmail app, and the same thing. I opened up an HTML email, and it was scrolling, and tabbing through links in the email. I immediately shut down my phone. I have three anti-virus software apps running, and scanned with all - no issues. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I should do - and what I should be worried about? The first thought that came to mind was log back on and uninstall anything related to Flash / Adobe Reader... however if I'm already infected, does it matter? Should I wipe my HTC incredible? What about the storage card? If they're smart, I assume they put something there since they know most have no idea how to wipe that. HELP PLEASE!!! :eek:

Advertisement
  2. ianr

ianr Well-Known Member

Chill out, the chance of you being hacked is largely 0. If a hacker had hacked your phone, they'd be dumb to do so in such an obvious manner and the flash issue is only being seen to be exploited on Windows so far as that's the big target. Phones have been hackable for years but still they aren't much of a target.

Try and investigate a little more along the lines of a trackball or touchscreen problem.

3. wayrad

wayrad Well-Known Member

If it's also scrolling between home screens, the first thing to try wiping is your optical joystick (if you have one), with a microfiber cloth. :)

4. usmcxm35

usmcxm35 New Member

hopefully everything turns out alright. I'm waiting to come from a Blackberry, and didn't realize that having an android phone is like having windows. xP

5. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

They would actually be REALLY quite frickin' stupid to do that... even if you have no idea what you're doing, going into the SD card and just right clicking everything then hitting delete would get rid of it... if they were smart, as you suggest, they would have put it IN the phone, not so much on almost 'external' storage.

6. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Well-Known Member

It'd be easy to figure out if you're hacked or not. Turn on the phone. Go to the Internet and the Gmail app and see if you observe the same issue as before. If you do, turn on airplane mode. This terminates all data in/out of the phone. If you are being hacked, you'll be able to open Gmail and the Internet and both will work fine. If you're not being hacked, you'll have the same issue offline which means you've likely got a hardware issue. Turn off airplane mode and see if the issue comes back.