I think it is the battery's fault

Last Updated:

1. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am coming to the conclusion that the poor battery charge time is a result of the batteries and not the phone. The reason I believe this to be true is: I purchased the charger that comes with a spare battery and it takes a good 3-4 hours to charge in that, with no phone attached. Batteries in my previous phones would take an hour to fully charge in a dedicated charger. I bet when Seidio comes out with batteries for this phone, we will see much better charge times and possibly better battery life.

Advertisement
  2. vertcobra99

vertcobra99 Well-Known Member

I don't think this is the case... I was getting excellent battery life before the sept 16th update... now since then its craped the bed.

3. Bitbang3r

Bitbang3r Well-Known Member

You're semi-right. The real problem is that manufacturers -- Samsung included -- sell them with batteries that are just plain inadequate. If the Epic shipped with a ~2000-2400mAH battery, extended-life batteries beyond that would be an exotic super-niche item, not something that has normal users anxiously checking Seidio's website daily who'd agree to a $500 deposit if they could and it meant guaranteed shipment from the first batch the day they become available.

It's sad, because the existence of $9.98 for two 1500mAH batteries + charger with free shipping from Hong Kong deals on eBay proves that Li batteries aren't even all that expensive anymore. It would add maybe a buck, max, to the manufacturing cost, and maybe a millimeter of total thickness to a phone that's STILL thinner than the phone just about everyone had before it anyway.

When I got my Seidio extended battery for my Hero, my first reaction was, "my GOD. It's HUGE!" (mandatory, "That's what she said." comeback). Then I realized it was still tiny compared to my older phones, and the small added weight in my hand was nothing compared to the weight lifted from my shoulders by the freedom of not being enslaved by my battery charger, no longer having to always worry where and when my next charge was going to come from. I no longer had panic attacks when I got to work and realized I left my charger at home (or worse, got home and realized I left my charger at the office). I could go hang out with friends all day on Saturday, then keep hanging out with them at night without my phone dying by 8 or 9pm because I wasn't able to charge it before going out.

I'm willing to cut Sprint a couple of weeks of slack over the 150kbit upload issue. I can even almost rationalize the GPS issues (I'm personally more pissed at Google over their "No paid market apps for you!" policy for anyone running an unblessed kernel, because if they'd just implement their DRM as a proper loadable kernel module and lift that restriction, the guys at XDA-developers would have probably just snagged the newest driver from Broadcomm and built a new kernel to fix it by now). The battery life, though, is inexcusable, because it's something that Samsung could easily and permanently fix once and for all by just using a battery that's at least 50% bigger than the one the phone currently ships with.

Lest anyone forget, ~5 years ago, Samsung ended up giving out free second batteries to SPH-i500 owners because its battery life sucked so badly... it could barely make it through 16-24 hours (emphasis mine, for historical irony) on a single charge. Yet, people have now been brainwashed into thinking battery life worse than that is acceptable. 5 years ago, it was considered scandalous, and almost ended up being regarded as a fatal flaw on what was arguably one of the best phones Samsung ever made (considering the technology available at the time).

Screw the fashion police who think every phone has to be 2mm thick. Sell us phones with properly-sized batteries, and let the bitchy fashionistas buy blinged-out Nokia phones the size of a credit card if it really bothers them that badly. Phones need bigger batteries. Period, fullstop, end of story.

dan7532 likes this.
  4. buggerritt

buggerritt Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What I am more amazed at than battery life, is the time it takes to charge this shitty battery. Taking 4 hours to charge a phone battery, in a dedicated charger, is ridiculous.