• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I think its hardware but not sure?

An UrgeTo Dance

The Hero of the Winds
Jul 22, 2010
Okay so my phone defaults into to car mode no matter what I do. I have tried three different ROMs with full wipe (data, cache, dalvik, system, and boot) and with every ROM when it starts up it goes into car mode with car home launching and the phone always goes to speaker when I get a call and make one. Some how I think that my phone feels like it is plugged into a dock even though it isn't. Can someone please help, I think I am going to have to unroot and bring it in though.

Thanks
An UrgeTo Dance

PS: The three ROMs I have tried to fix it with are King's GB, MIUI 1.4.1, and King's Froyo R3 in that order.

EDIT: I have also tried freezing and deleting the car home app it still didn't work

It could be a hardware problem, definitely, but it might not be. The fact that it's transferring from ROM to ROM doesn't work well in your favor, but there are some things you might be able to try. First of all, have you started using any different USB cables or chargers recently? If not, you might want to try flashing an RUU PC36IMG that matches your hboot (effectively unroot, but don't bother switching S-OFF to S-ON). If you do that, you'll be taking your phone as close to stock without truly unrooting (making it easy to switch back). If it still does it then, I'd say you've got a hw problem.

A quick note on the PC36IMG.zip unroot - if you do so with S-OFF, your radios will flash to whatever version goes along with that hboot version. You should stick with the right hboot version unless you want to lose your nandroid backups. This means you'll need to reflash the latest radios (if you currently have them) if you have an hboot older than 2.10. This, of course, doesn't apply if you already have hboot 2.10.

Upvote 0
Here is the link. Keep in mind that if you flash that, you will lose recovery. As long as you don't flash the S-ON tool, you can just reflash recovery. To flash this, rename it to PC36IMG.zip, exactly, and copy it to the root (top level) of your sdcard. Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down to get to hboot. It will prompt you to flash the file once it finds it.

Upvote 0
Okay well it started again so I think I am going to have to bring it in, I may try to call support and see what they say.

EDIT: does flashing an RUU change the boot animation and the splash screen because I have both of them customized.

Yes, running an RUU will replace everything with stock, including the boot animation (part of /system) and the splash screen.

Upvote 0
Okay thanks, I have tried everything I can think of. I will probably call support tomorrow and see what they say then I will try the RUU and see if that fixes it, if it doesn't going flash s-on tool and bring it in. Although I don't see how if it is software how it would last through three full wipes (including system and boot).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones