• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think metro pcs is the best place to get gs3

If you don't have your 4G sim activated there's no way whatsoever you can get 4G because the network won't authorize you

But the thing is when u activate it thru that way(*228) it'll get "activated" but the sim card will have a dummy sim card number. There for u can make calls and surf the web but just not at 4G speeds. And the symbol bounces from 4G to 3G

Upvote 0
Don't just say South Florida, SFL has 3 counties with like 6 million people & is 100 miles North - South, 50 miles East - West(5000 sq miles) So your generalizing a pretty large area. In West Palm Beach I get 7-12mbps, someone in Ft. Lauderdale got 11, seen higher than 8 in Miami.

What's the actual city your in?
kendall area, want my exact coordinates?
i understand FL doesnt actually have the worse coverage, but the fact that for some reason i do, is the only thing that concerns me, sorry i dont live elsewhere.
By any chance did both of u activate the phone by dialing *228?
in fact im pretty sure ive reactivated it through *228, but yet the speeds are just the same as on october the 20th when i got it activated at a corp store after paying $550.
So im not sure if what youre saying is any true, as far as im concerned if there is 4G you get the 4G sign if you dont then you just wont get that sign.
In addition, what is so special and unique about having an unknowledgeable 4ss metro rep doing the set up for you, as far as im concerned there is only 2 steps in an s3 activation for metro
1. Putting the s3 on the system, and added to your account by just running the esn(after making any necessary plan changes ofcourse)
2. Program the device settings manually(assuming automated is only through *228)
to accomplish this you first make sure the hidden menu is unlocked if not you can simply do it through *#22745927>Enable
then you simply adjust your MDN & MSID settings accordingly by entering the NAM info menu through *#772
once the phone is on the database and active on your account youre good to go.
you tell me if im missing the said magic performed at the metro store after their magical connection fee
S3 doesn't have access to different spectrum
guy, who ever said the s3 will magically have access to more spectrum?
its after the said "beneficial merger" that we were to have better spectrum and therefore making the +$500 purchase worth it on Metro rather than other Prepaid choices.

Upvote 0
guy, who ever said the s3 will magically have access to more spectrum?
its after the said "beneficial merger" that we were to have better spectrum and therefore making the +$500 purchase worth it on Metro rather than other Prepaid choices.
By better spectrum do you mean more spectrum? Because when the merger goes through it'll just be a lot more spectrum on the same band. Better spectrum is considered the one that penetrates the most. So the type of spectrum that we have isn't actually the better one but we'll have a lot more of it.
oh wait i actually dont love metro, specially after the purchase of a $550 s3, all in 'hopes' for better spectrum.
Sorry if I had misread your post but since you were talking about you don't love metro now I thought it was because you didn't get better (or more) spectrum now. It does seem that you're referring to right now and not in a couple months because how that sentence looks up there is like you were in hopes for better spectrum for your $550 phone but you didn't get it but as I said sorry if I had misread your post but that's what it had looked like to me.

Upvote 0
the t-mobile spectrum wont be able to be used till we go 100% VoLte since T-mobile is and always been a gsm phone carrier. Once we are fully VoLte on metro then we will no longer depend on our cdma/1x radios for calls instead our phones will depend more on 4g data for calls and sms/mms.

Upvote 0
the t-mobile spectrum wont be able to be used till we go 100% VoLte since T-mobile is and always been a gsm phone carrier. Once we are fully VoLte on metro then we will no longer depend on our cdma/1x radios for calls instead our phones will depend more on 4g data for calls and sms/mms.

We'll get access to that new spectrum shortly after the merger's approved. Most of their HSPA+ is now available on 1900PCS also GSM.
How they are trying to structure it is that all 4GLTE is on the 1700AWS band which is what metro already uses in a majority of areas for 4GLTE and then push as much HSPA+ as they can onto 1900PCS which they use for GSM already. They'll probably add CDMA onto 1900PCS since that's what metro uses for CDMA in any market that they have it even though some markets like New York only have 1700AWS. T-Mobile’s Network Modernization: What Is It? Where Can I Get Coverage? | | TmoNewsTmoNews

Tmobile has said though that they might not be as quick to jump on the VoLTE bandwagon like everyone else but they will support all progress metro has made @the completion of the merger. It was 1st said in this thread even though they said more about it at a recent event http://androidforums.com/metro-pcs/631207-tmo-will-maintain-volte-network.html

But anyway tmobile doesn't have the spectrum constraint like we do now the most metro has in some markets is like 20mhz but tmobile has like 90mhz even though it can't all be fully utilized for LTE in the beginning. After the merger we'll probably have a 10x10 network then as more people move to LTE & they gradually shut down CDMA that amount will increase & there's a chance we end up with the fastest LTE network.

Right now clues indicate that Las Vegas for tmobile 4GLTE is running 5x5 which is also what metro has running there AFAIK so 5x5 + 5x5= 10x10 which is what Verizon's running.

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
in fact im pretty sure ive reactivated it through *228, but yet the speeds are just the same as on october the 20th when i got it activated at a corp store after paying $550.
So im not sure if what youre saying is any true, as far as im concerned if there is 4G you get the 4G sign if you dont then you just wont get that sign..

The *228 issue is caused by PRL update. You can have 4g, with a symbol. But your PRL is updated to a newer one, which in some cases it is slower, some cases it is faster. Back when 4GLTE came out [which people forget that MetroPCS was the very FIRST company to have it], they released a private PRL for corporate employees that pushed 12mbps when everybody else was just running 1x...same phones, but without PRL it would not run 4G.
Upon activation phones, the PRL is impregnated into it through *228, or through push when you activate online. Their is a list running around here somewhere of the best PRLs...also if you live in the same area as somebody and they have fast, you have slow...google how to change PRL, and fix the shit lol.

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones