• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I think my Android is due for an update...

Mr Cool

Lurker
Jan 5, 2012
Hi,

I have a Samsung Moment Model No. SPH-M900. I'm not sure which version of Android it runs on, but I'm pretty sure it's an older version since it's an older phone. When I try to update it through settings, it say's it's currently up-to-date. But I think it should since my friend's phone runs on Android 4.0 (at least he says it does :p). Am I wrong to think it's due for an update? And if it is, how do I do it?

Thanks,
Mr Cool.

Does your friend have the same phone as you do? I doubt it, as I'd think the Samsung Moment's hardware is too weak to run ICS with only 800Mhz of CPU power, especially since Google already said that the Nexus One with 1Ghz of CPU power is incapable of running ICS (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich).

To get the latest available official update for your phone, install Samsung Kies on your computer, then connect your phone. Once loaded, Kies will prompt you if you have an update.

Upvote 0
Does your friend have the same phone as you do? I doubt it, as I'd think the Samsung Moment's hardware is too weak to run ICS with only 800Mhz of CPU power, especially since Google already said that the Nexus One with 1Ghz of CPU power is incapable of running ICS (Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich).

To get the latest available official update for your phone, install Samsung Kies on your computer, then connect your phone. Once loaded, Kies will prompt you if you have an update.

No he has that new one that was built for Android 4.0. And ok, where can I get Kies?

Upvote 0
Hi,

I have a Samsung Moment Model No. SPH-M900. I'm not sure which version of Android it runs on, but I'm pretty sure it's an older version since it's an older phone. When I try to update it through settings, it say's it's currently up-to-date. But I think it should since my friend's phone runs on Android 4.0 (at least he says it does :p). Am I wrong to think it's due for an update? And if it is, how do I do it?

Thanks,
Mr Cool.

I used to have a Moment. :)

Samsung stopped updating that phone long ago.

You can update and improve performance by rooting it and installing a custom rom.

Our Moment rooting forum has video instructions posted by other helpful Moment owners.

It's from an earlier generation, so forget ICS, not enough memory. And the processor architecture limits how far you update in addition to memory.

Clock speed isn't the issue.

Upvote 0
Don't bother with Samsung Kies. On your phone, go to MENU-About phone and find Firmware version. The last official update the Moment got was 2.1, but you can install 2.2. A few different versions of 2.2 are available over at sdx forums, if you root your phone. Check that out. You can also stick with 2.1, but rooted. That will allow you to remove certain pre-installed apps and free up some memory. Everything you need to root should be in this post:
http://androidforums.com/moment-all-things-root/255644-samsung-moment-root.html#post3150966

Go to this thread to see what apps are safe to remove. The easiest way to remove them is to go into 3.1.1 Recovery file browser, navigate to /system/app (using trackpad), click on the file you want to remove, and select delete.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones