I think my gps works

Last Updated:

1. mi04se1

mi04se1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ive been like everyone else trying band ades and it did not work. I could almost never get a lock standing still in either the house or in the open outside. I thought I will give google nav a try on the way home form work. Put my Captivate in the universal car holder in my car on the dash and opened the app. At first it was searching for a signal then after I left the lot I got a lock (under 30 seconds). Drove home (11 miles taking different roads) monitoring the gps the whole way. Dead nuts accurate with the correct street names and never lost a signal. Ill try turn by turn tomarrow to see if thats works. I was going to try it today but every time I said my address it came up wrong and I didnt feel like manually putting my address in. When I got home, I plugged the phone in because it was dead from watching baseball on Sling at work. After I plugged the phone in, I tried Google maps and Google nav and I got a lock in 10 seconds. I might be jumping the gun here, but maybe the gps in the Captivate was meant to be used while moving.

Advertisement
  2. mi04se1

Just tried it again in my room and locks are even faster. Used the voice to put in my work address and turn by turn came up and its freakin sweet. I still have to try it tomarrow. Since I got my work in there, Ill try it on the way in the morning and report back.

3. sremick

sremick Well-Known Member

Uncheck "use wireless networks" under "Location and security" settings, then try again. If positioning doesn't work after that, then your GPS isn't working.

4. Shelbster

Shelbster Guest

Anyone know if Samsung has sent out a fix for the GPS? Two days ago, I could not get a lock indoors, and even outdoors it would take a while.

After reading this thread, I just tried my GPS indoors. I got a dead on lock within 10 seconds.

Edit: My use wireless networks is unchecked.

5. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Google maps always seems to work for me when I'm in one place. In other words not moving. Have yet to try while driving.

6. mi04se1

I unchecked it and still got a lock in my house. This is a hunch, so bear with me. The only thing I did today was turn bluetooth on and paired it to my car. I read on XDA I think the the bt and gps are on the same chip. For people not getting a lock, try this..........Turn bt on and pair it with something than see if you get a lock. Actually my bt is on but its technically not paired to anything right now. So just turn bt on and see what happens. If that works, its bs on Samsungs part for doing that.

7. acandia007

acandia007 Member

Im getting instant locks n its pretty acurate!!

8. BigCiX

BigCiX Well-Known Member

Il l be sure to try that if I can't get a lock while moving.

9. jas2k9

jas2k9 Well-Known Member

Bad news, last night, working dead on, quick locks accurate, and nice - this AM, 5 minutes + to lock, then dropped lock a few times and took seconds to minutes to relock.

I use bluetooth with the phone all the time and always have - I don't think there is a correlation - but a coincidence.

10. mi04se1

Alright I did a test this morning. I got a lock in under a minute, which is comparible to my Iphone 3G and old dedicated gps units. I tried turn by turn and worked great and was accurate. Google had me take a different route to work that I normally take. I took the same ole route and re-route was almost instant. The only thing I got tired of was the voice. I will be taking a road trip from Michigan to Iowa in a couple of weeks, that will be the true test. But Ill take my reliable Iphone just incase (I never had problems with the Iphone gps).

11. DT

DT Well-Known Member

If you uncheck wireless under 'Location and Security' (leaving use GPS sats checked) but still have the service menu option for Operation set for MS Based, it that still using 3G/cell? MS Based does use it by definition, I'm not sure if it overrides the user menu.

FTR, my wireless under L&S is NOT checked, but my service menu is set for MS Based and I had outstanding performance:

http://androidforums.com/samsung-captivate/137669-my-gps-experience-today.html

This afternoon we're headed up into town, and I'll go back into the service and select the GPS only option there too just to cross check things. I'll report back tonight :)

12. mi04se1

All the settings are the ones from the factory and I unchecked use wireless.

13. jonE5

jonE5 Well-Known Member

If im out it seems to work a lot better (in orhter words the times i actually need to use it).

Not as good as iphone yet, but hopefully update will fix.

14. mi04se1

I just went outside for a cig and thought I would play around with GN. Locked in under a minute and I did a satellite view and the arrow was on the correct side of the building in the correct location.

15. mi04se1

I rebooted last night cause I thought I was having issues. I was afraid if I reboot I would loose the gps. After I rebooted, tried the gps and couldnt get a lock in 2 minutes. Waited this morning, while driving to work, got a lock before I left my subdivision.

16. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

Mine's off and on, but once it locks outside (sometimes in one minute, sometimes in ten), if I keep it on the dashboard (in line of sight), it tracks just fine.

I <3 my Captivate!