I think this is the best path forward

Last Updated:

1. zaphodbblx

zaphodbblx Well-Known Member

well I've decided that virgin mobile is no longer the good service it was 2 years ago so ive decided to move on (anyhow my Triumph is starting to do funky things like stop charging at 100% then begin to run the battery down) and I cant send it back because I rooted and rom'ed it so i decided to drop off the grid for a bit and go this route.
    a unlocked current generation phone the galaxy nexus hspa+ from Google (about the same price as my shitty no gps Triumph)
    with a sim from Straight talk mobile :p http://straighttalksim.com/
    https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa
    thats a bit more expensive $45 per month as opposed to $35 but its Unlimited Data, Talk & Text (their "unlimited data is 5gb) also its bone stock ICS so and if I want to rom the bootloader is unlocked so no more trying to stay ahead of VM and having to use gingerbreak.
    I encourage everyone to vote with their bucks and tell Virgin to screw off

Advertisement
    nightcrawl3r likes this.
  2. thebryceee

thebryceee Well-Known Member

I reflashed the stock ROM from b_randon and sent it back. Some people didn't even bother doing THAT after their 3rd or 4th MT that they had to exchange and did it without any problems.
  3. brandonok

brandonok Well-Known Member

That does sound like a great deal when I try to buy a t mobile sim card it says they dont offer coverage in my location while the t mobile website say they do
  4. nightcrawl3r

nightcrawl3r Member

I did the same thing and got a galaxy nexus with straight talk. I'm enjoying a better phone with faster speed and more coverage. Being GSM, I can move to another carrier if/when straight talk starts sucking.
  5. mjs2011

mjs2011 Well-Known Member

The only thing that concerns me about Straight Talk is that they have hidden data caps. There have been cases of them Nanjing customers for going over 100/mb in a day.
  6. Seanette

Seanette Well-Known Member

I worry about Straight Talk because they're Tracfone and my short tenure as a Tracfone customer featured unreliable function and hideously bad customer service. Granted, this was in about 2004. so they might have improved since then, but I'm still feeling singed.
  7. mjs2011

It's not much different. They literally have no customer service. I'm reading today now that they're making warning phone calls to customers that use 500mb of data in a month. It's still up for debate on whether or not this is just a scare tactic, but I definitely don't want a harrassing phone call from my phone carrier because I decide to browse Facebook during my lunch break every day.
  8. Seanette

And this is somehow better than VM's 2.5GB before throttling? I find myself wondering if everyone claiming StraightTalk is so vastly superior to VM even knows about this.

If I were to switch carriers (not likely in the foreseeable future), I'd probably take a look at T-Mobile.
  9. mjs2011

Yeah, I suggest that if you look to switch to Straight Talk, look through Howard Forums and there are many topics regarding the invisible cap issue. Some people reported getting multiple calls per day from Straight Talk warning them about their excessive data usage.

While the GNEX looks quite awesome, it don't really think it's THAT much better than the Evo 3d (Evo V) and it's not worth switching to a carrier that does not post clear/accurate data usage policies and that harrasses their customers for breaking these invisible policies. Plus, they're telling people that they can't stream video on their data plan, so there goes YouTube or Netflix.
  10. sisu

sisu Well-Known Member

a n00b question: how do i check my data usage (I am on VMUSA)? Do I have to log on to my account on their website?
  11. keisukehonda

keisukehonda Well-Known Member

log into your account and click on view history for "Data & Web". It will state exactly how many MB you used this month
    sisu likes this.
  12. Seanette

You can also monitor via app. There are several out there. I personally like Onavo.
  13. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Does this finally work? Last I saw it was totally blank.
  14. melim

melim Disabled

It does work now, yes.
  15. Seanette

Works for me (well, as well as that site ever does for someone who refuses to use IE).
  16. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

As Melim stated, yes it works. Wanted to add though that ICS has it's own built in data usage thingy (or at least Quattrimus does). It's pretty darn nifty, too. Gives you a breakdown of what you've used and whatnot.
  17. swerver32

swerver32 Well-Known Member

Does this include 4G, if so wimax or lte? What networks does straight talk run on? I checked the website but it's pretty bare bones. Very interesting though either way.
  18. shiv81

shiv81 Well-Known Member

It has 4G HSPA+. It's GSM and does not use Wimax or Lte.
  19. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member