• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I thought i successfully rooted my phone, so I messed with some things on TWRP and stuff happened

Xeireal

Sep 20, 2015
Hello, Yesterday I unlocked bootloader on my HTC One M8, from that I installed TWRP recovery and installed supersu from twrp. I'm new to rooting and modding so I learnt from YouTube. From TWRP, I tapped 'fix permissions' after that, i cannot access settings and it said 'unfortunately setup wizard has stopped'. i googled and found this forum. i created an account.
before i exit twrp, it said something like 'your phone isnt rooted, root now?' i tapped yes

the reason i tapped fix permissions is because, i went to root checker and it says your phone is not rooted. please help!!
i will provide you info of my phone if you need them.
i just need it to work

Hello, Yesterday I unlocked bootloader on my HTC One M8, from that I installed TWRP recovery and installed supersu from twrp. I'm new to rooting and modding so I learnt from YouTube. From TWRP, I tapped 'fix permissions' after that, i cannot access settings and it said 'unfortunately setup wizard has stopped'. i googled and found this forum. i created an account.
before i exit twrp, it said something like 'your phone isnt rooted, root now?' i tapped yes

the reason i tapped fix permissions is because, i went to root checker and it says your phone is not rooted. please help!!
i will provide you info of my phone if you need them.
i just need it to work
Well you could if you have a backup choose the wipe option then swipe to factory reset. Then it'll ask to reboot.

Choose main menu or press the back button until you're at the main Twrp menu. Choose the advanced option then adb sideload. Then sideload a SuperSU zip. en tyou should have root and the setup wizard should function as usual.

Reactions: Xeireal
Upvote 0
Well you could if you have a backup choose the wipe option then swipe to factory reset. Then it'll ask to reboot.

Choose main menu or press the back button until you're at the main Twrp menu. Choose the advanced option then adb sideload. Then sideload a SuperSU zip. en tyou should have root and the setup wizard should function as usual.
i did the first step which is wiping it. i went to adb sideload and there are two check boxes.
the first one says wipe dalvik cache, the second one is wipe cache.
i'm not really sure how to sideload a SuperSu zip.
i'm sorry but i need full guidance on this as i'm really new to this

Upvote 0
i did the first step which is wiping it. i went to adb sideload and there are two check boxes.
the first one says wipe dalvik cache, the second one is wipe cache.
i'm not really sure how to sideload a SuperSu zip.
i'm sorry but i need full guidance on this as i'm really new to this
You seem kinda new to this so i'll try to make this easy. Take the SuperSU zip, rename it to root.zip for simplicity.
Take the SuperSU zip and put it in the folder you have adb,fastboot etc in. Then type adb sideload root.zip and it will install SuperSU. Once it says successful, it should ask to reboot system.

As long as the device is detected in recovery you should be good to go.

Reactions: Xeireal
Upvote 0
Can you get in to the phone without issue? Does it boot or does it just go in to recovery/the bootloader?

If you can get it to boot properly, are you still getting an error?

Could you connect it to your PC to copy files to?

Also, what was the exact error message from the SuperSU app?

yes, i can boot it properly.
but, after booting it up, it shows a message saying 'unfortunately setup wizard has stopped working'
i cannot navigate anywhere else in the phone and i cannot access supersu in the phone.
i also cannot go into settings.

Upvote 0
You seem kinda new to this so i'll try to make this easy. Take the SuperSU zip, rename it to root.zip for simplicity.
Take the SuperSU zip and put it in the folder you have adb,fastboot etc in. Then type adb sideload root.zip and it will install SuperSU. Once it says successful, it should ask to reboot system.

As long as the device is detected in recovery you should be good to go.
Alright, but i have a few questions to make sure i dont mess up

-Do i download the supersu zip file from anywhere in the internet?
-will this adb/fastboot file work? http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081
-where do i type in 'adb sideload root.zip'?

Upvote 0
Who is the carrier? Sprint, Verizon etc. You could flash a custom rom that is for your device. Or you could probably find a stock rooted rom. What is the android version?
i was hoping you ask that.
my carrier isnt from the UK or the USA.
i'm from Malaysia and the carrier is CELCOM.
i'm not sure whether you've heard of it before or not.
The android version is 5.0.1
i need you to guide me to find a stock rooted rom or a custom rom.
I'm afraid i might mess my phone up again

Upvote 0
Alright, but i have a few questions to make sure i dont mess up

-Do i download the supersu zip file from anywhere in the internet?
-will this adb/fastboot file work? http://androidforums.com/threads/adb-guide-updated-2014-11-11.443072/#post-5389081
-where do i type in 'adb sideload root.zip'?
Those files should be fine, Here's SuperSU
https://download.chainfire.eu/735/SuperSU

Hmm did you use the adb, fastboot files or some kind of a toolkit?
I have nothing against toolkits, but learning adb and fastboot is easy....
You type adb sideload "Name of file.zip" in the cmd window that is pointed towards the adb folder or whatever you want to name it.

Upvote 0
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.19.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.25.21331147A1.06G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: [removed]
(bootloader) imei: [removed]
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B11000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__044
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 28eb9285
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.123s

That's what i got from typing 'fastboot getvar all'

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Those files should be fine, Here's SuperSU
https://download.chainfire.eu/735/SuperSU

Hmm did you use the adb, fastboot files or some kind of a toolkit?
I have nothing against toolkits, but learning adb and fastboot is easy....
You type adb sideload "Name of file.zip" in the cmd window that is pointed towards the adb folder or whatever you want to name it.

i tried doing this step in the command prompt pointed towards the sdk tools file.
it said device not found.
do i need a new driver or is there something that i did wrong?
i'm not really sure if my device is connected successfully to the computer or not
but on the phone it says [fastboot usb] and it is highlighted in red

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones