• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I tried to like the Evo4G while perusing Best Buy today...

Coming from a BB Curve, my first reaction to my new Evo was, "OMG, it's HUGE!" But now, after using it, everyone else's 3.5" touchscreen feels small. Same thing with HDTV, the initial shock over the larger size wears off, going back feels too small.

I have to agree with this one. I have an iPod Touch and it seems so fricken small now. I tried to type on it earlier today and had more wrong characters than right...lol.

Upvote 0
I sold my iPod Touch to my sister-in-law last month in preparation for me getting my EVO. She handed it to me today because I needed to help her with something, and the thing just felt downright scrawny in my hands. I had forgotten how small (comparatively) it was.

Whoever says that the EVO's screen size has spoiled them for every other phone in the future... count me in on that.

Upvote 0
Why the need to write a long drawn out post? If you don't like it, fine, by why come into the house that evo built and try to spout off about it? Not sure what you think is going to happen...

Not long, or drawn out, IMO. Also being open minded about it. If you read my post, you'd see I complimented the device, but also commented on what I didn't like. I commented here because this is the Evo forum... why so serious? :D

Enjoy your 3.2" screen. The EVO is the perfect size IMO.
That's the point really isn't it... I do enjoy 3.2". I think it's the sweet spot.

I absolutely love the screen size of the Evo. It is the largest phone on the market, but it's by choice. It feels so good in the hand, and the large screen size makes texting, web browsing, and emailing a dream. Ever since I saw the HD2, I was hoping so bad HTC would make an Android version, and fortunately my prayers were answered. IMO, the Evo is easily the best phone on the market.
Glad to hear that. Maybe I haven't held it long enough. Thanks for your impression.
You definitely get used the screen. It's been a few days and already my iPod Touch feels (which I still use for music) incredibly small.
Cool, kinda what previous poster said. So at first you found it bulky too? Will def. have to try it a bit longer in the hand.
Funny, I don't even notice it being big anymore. Now I just laugh at how unusable everyone else's phone is! Of course, I do a lot more than just call people. If I just wanted a phone, I could see thinking it was too big.
I wouldn't call anything smaller unusable. Maybe I'm behind the curve just upgrading to 3.2", but I like it and do a lot more than calling.
Big hands like this phone.

Small hands will NOT. Just too cumbersome to reach the power button with one hand.

Medium hands will still have problems typing with one hand.
I'd say I have medium to small hands. Hmmm...
Why not buy the Incredible then. Its almost the same phone but much smaller.
Sprint Family Everything Data @ $97/mo
Considering the CPU in the Evo is almost twice as fast as the Hero, your browser performance argument is invalid. You'll get a lot better page loading with a 1Ghz CPU than a 528Mhz CPU letting you take advantage of the increased bandwidth. Those two points paired with the large screen you're complaining about lends itself to streaming video. Something your Hero would be mediocre with at best.
I wasn't talking about the device, I was talking about on a tethered laptop. The point is that the slowness isn't the 3g but the CPU, hence I find 4G unjustified in a mobile device WITH a $10 surcharge. You got a point on streaming though, which I don't refute. But I don't see a big value in streaming from WAN much on lappy (LAN media extender sure) let alone mobile, so def. to each his own. I'd rather see proper local codec support such as Divx/Xvid and container support for matroska and avi, but I digress...
I love how people just roll into the EVO forum and drop stink bombs like this. :) Nothing good can come out of this thread.
I really think the there is a lot of unneeded commotion in some responses, but also some good, to be honest. It's o.k. to be critical of consumer technology, even what you own... really :D
so many stupid posts... what do you expect to get by posting this here besides just a reaction. there is no conversation set up in your post, sure you add, "what do you think" but that doesn't make it a conversation starter, this is the EVO's home!
Apparently there is. There are indeed thought out, useful responses, then there is your type of response.

ur post is mostly about att sucking and not about the evo.....so me thinks you prob have the tiny lil iphone, the phone built for soccer moms.

I have a Hero... not rocket science to figure out, but then, you live in Oklahoma so I forgive you :D

Upvote 0
I was thinking of upgrading to the Incredible until I looked at the EVO. The size is perfect. I'm still debating if I want to cancel my Verizon account pay the ETF for the EVO or what a couple of months to see what Verizon has coming out. But one thing is for sure, I can't see myself getting anything smaller than a 4" screen after playing with the EVO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones