I tried un-rooting, but not sure if I did...help?

Last Updated:

1. brownbuffalo

brownbuffalo Active Member

Hey all,

I recently rooted, had some difficulties, and decided to un-root. Have since tried to root again, but my computer won't recognize Android in the Device Manager, leaving me stuck.

Is there a chance I didn't un-root correctly?

In the hboot menu, my phone says:

INCREDIBLEC XP SHIP S-OFF
    HBOOT-0.77.0000
    MICROP-0417
    TOUCH PANEL-ATMEL224_16ab
    RADIO-1.00.03.04.06
    Mar 23 2010,19:36:22

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?

I really want to root correctly.

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. gummymotts11

gummymotts11 New Member

3. brownbuffalo

How do you go about doing that?
    Thanks!
  4. Mahalo

Mahalo Well-Known Member

Edited to remove bad information! Sorry about that. I didn't pay attention.
  5. doug piston

doug piston Well-Known Member

To flash s-on you need to root again, then flash it, then unroot again.
  6. wilson615

wilson615 New Member

I tried unrooting also, everything seems to go back to the state it was before rooting except the S off does not go back to S on, I used unrevoked3 to root. Any Ideas on what I should do, I would like to go back to stock.
    Thanks in advance
  7. dscribe

dscribe Well-Known Member

wilson615 likes this.
  8. brownbuffalo

Now I'm really confused. My issue is that since I unrooted incorrectly, I'm back to 2.1. I used the incorrect unrooting method.

If anyone's willing to take the time, what should be my step by step route this time?

I really hope I didn't mess it all up:(
  9. Eris Lover

Eris Lover Well-Known Member

Since you still have s-off it really shouldn't be that hard except for the fact that your computer is not recognizing your phone? Did you turn on usb debugging after flahing back to 2.1?
    Taking no responsibility of course. Ultimately what I think you need to do is get your phone rerooted using unrevoked.
    Then using clockwork flash http://downloads.unrevoked.com/forever/current/unrevoked-forever-son.zip
    as stated above.
    Then go here http://androidforums.com/incredible-all-things-root/181255-how-downgrade-official-2-2-a.html as stated above. And flash the 2.2 ruu file following the directions. And your done! Bone stock, current software and radio.
  10. brownbuffalo

Thanks for the help everyone.

My question now, is, do I re-root for 2.1 or re-root again for 2.2, being that I'm no longer 2.2?
  11. brownbuffalo

Also, I did turn debugging on.
  12. brownbuffalo

bump in search of answers :(
  13. brownbuffalo

Buehler?
  14. iowabowtech

iowabowtech root@android:/ #

Just use the afforementioned link to load 2.2 You're trying to root again anyway so get the base 2.2 from there and don't worry about s-on. It has nothing to do with your objective. Re-root once you're at 2.2. You have zero reason to go back to 2.1.
  15. brownbuffalo

I'm sorry, I'm really stuck on the details.

You mean, I should download the 2.2 update again, install it on my phone.

Then root with unrevoked forever for 2.2

And then I should un root with the link?

Sorry to be such a pest, but I really do appreciate and need the walk-through.

Thanks again!
  16. brownbuffalo

So, I've tried rebooting with unrevoked forever, and after 3 tries, it says it wasn't installed, and that "this happens"

so frustrated...
  17. brownbuffalo

Awesome! So, I'm rerooted but with 2.1-update 1 under software information.

For me to downgrade, do I uninstall as if I'm starting from 2.2, or starting from 2.1?

Thanks again for all the help!
  18. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

What is your objective? To be on 2.1 or 2.2?
  19. brownbuffalo

I am now unrooted with s-off.

I would like to be rooted with 2.2.

I can root, because I had to reroot, to unroot, if that makes sense. Since it's unrevoked forever, its still s-off, and I don't know if that's what's keeping me from being able to install froyo. So yeah, I'd like to be rooted with 2.2.

Help, please?
  20. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

21. brownbuffalo

Thanks for your help everyone. I've got my phone rooted on 2.2 (I almost didn't do this, because for two days, my htc 1500 battery didn't have to be charged but once on 2.1!).

I'm ready to install a rom. I really like that blue one...but it doesn't work on 2.2. *SIGH*

Thanks again!
  22. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Guides Guide

What blue one? All the ROMS that are out for the incredible are 2.2. So if you mean a theme...some themes are not compatible with all Roms.