• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I turned off some apps I thought unnecessary - now problems

catteau

Lurker
May 26, 2016
I have a Samsung Galaxy 3, around a year old. Recently it started spontaneously rebooting all the time (like every ten minutes). I also find that when I plug it in to charge, it rapidly blinks on and off - charging, not charging, charging, not charging. Sometimes does that, not always.

I looked on line for possible explanations for the reboot problem, and found sites telling me to delete unnecessary apps that could cause it.

So I looked at what apps I'm running, found lots of things that I didn't know what they are, and turned some of them off. And now - no surprise - things don't work right.

Symptoms:

• When I try to send or read messages, it (message app) immediately shuts down as soon as I open it. It will do this repeatedly - then stop, and behave normally for a while.

• I no longer have phone call logs - old logs are gone, new ones not created.

• I keep getting messages saying Touch Wiz Home is not working. What is Touch Wiz Home? It is on my list of "all apps" but not in the Running list, nor in the Turned Off list. Same for TouchWiz easy home. What is the difference between them?

• Almost ever time I get a call, it rings maybe once and then I get a message saying I missed the call. (This may have been happening before as well - I don't get many calls, so I'm not sure.
  • All of my widget links disappeared - I put some back, but what would I have done that wiped them out?
I assume I turned off things that I shouldn't have, but I don't know which things. I don't know how to take screen shots on the phone and post them here, but here's a list of things that are turned off:

BadgeProvider

Best face

Blurb Checkout

Bubbles

CapabilityManagerService

ChatON

com.android.providers.partnerboo...

DirectConnectManager

DirectShareManager

Drive (google drive)

Dropbox

Dual Clock (digital)

Favorite Contacts

Flipboard

Google Backup Transport

Google Calendar Sync

Google Contacts Sync

Google Play Games

Google Text-to-speech Engine

Group Play

InteractiveKeyguardTutorial

LogsProvider (that sounded likely, I just turned it back on)

Market Feedback Agent

MobilePrintSvc_CUPS

MobilePrintSvc_CUPS_Backend

Multimedia UI Service Layer

S Memo

Samsung Link

Samsung Print Service Plugin

Samsung Push Service

Software Update

Story Album Widget

TalkBack

Trim

Weather (that's accuweather, which I thought I'd uninstalled - though it shows 0 bytes, so maybe it's just an icon?)

Can anyone tell me what else I should turn back on to solve these problems? it looks like logs might work again now that I turned it on. I now have the logs predating when I started turning things off, though not those from the past week. Progress, maybe?

Thank you!

catteau

p.s. In the interim I put in a different battery, and I don't think I'm having the spontaneous reboot problem any more. That may have addressed the charge-not charge problem as well.

If it's a year old I doubt it's an S3.
Don't disable any of the "com.android.xx" processes with generic Android icons, those are system processes and should be left alone.
If you're not 100% sure of what an app or process does, err on the side of caution and don't disable it.
If you want to troubleshoot to see whether a particular disabled app is causing problems, re-enable everything and if the phone then works correctly try turning things off one at a time and testing (following the first two recommendations).

Upvote 0
I agree with Fox Mulder. U should re-enable all and then disable only the applications that u really don´t need like:
S Memo,ChatON,Dropbox,Drive (google drive),TalkBack(optional),Weather,Bubbles ...other apps can be used by the system so u should leave them alone for a stable experience. I recommend u flash a custom rom if u don´t want to have these apps in your phone. (Rooting and flashing causes u to lose your warranty and can brick your device**)

Upvote 0
install this app
* Package Disabler Pro [Samsung] - the New Version

In one fell swoop it will re-enable everything.

then if things work okay, put it on 'Automatic' and let it disable everything it thinks you don't need.

if that works great for you, Job #1 done.

if not, re-enable everything and then pick and choose.... the beauty of this app is, nothing is ever deleted off the phone, and every thing is reversible.

Upvote 0
install this app
* Package Disabler Pro [Samsung] - the New Version

In one fell swoop it will re-enable everything.

then if things work okay, put it on 'Automatic' and let it disable everything it thinks you don't need.

if that works great for you, Job #1 done.

if not, re-enable everything and then pick and choose.... the beauty of this app is, nothing is ever deleted off the phone, and every thing is reversible.
He needs to reenable Play Store and Services before he can download anything. Lol he disabled some of the key services to have the phone running smoothly and to have regular app updates.

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy 3, around a year old. Recently it started spontaneously rebooting all the time (like every ten minutes). I also find that when I plug it in to charge, it rapidly blinks on and off - charging, not charging, charging, not charging. Sometimes does that, not always.

I would suggest actually there's a more serious underlying problem causing the instability, e.g. a bad battery. I presume all those apps and services you nixed, all were running OK before this problem happened? Also a Samsung Galaxy S3 is very likely to be well more than a year old, and possibly the battery is worn out.

I looked on line for possible explanations for the reboot problem, and found sites telling me to delete unnecessary apps that could cause it.

Yeh, don't always believe everything you might read on the interwebs, it might be misinformed or just simply wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThePhizzle
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones