• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I wanna love Redux...but...

cashmere_cat

Nov 2, 2010
Western Canada
...somehow it seems to be rather buggy - at least for me. Although I dont discount the possibility of some user error here ;)

So far some of my issues:

- Each time I've rebooted, I'm met with a new surprise. The first time, I had one slider to unlock. OK, cool. The second reboot gave me two sliders - an unlock and one other -- I forget which one - a volume button perhaps? After another reboot, I now have 4! lol. I havent change anything yet - not even sure where to do that yet. On other reboots, the clock has changed itself. hmm. And on yet other reboots the wallpaper has switched.

- the lockscreen requires two swipes in order to unlock. The first one just bounces back and does nothing. [edit: i disabled widget locker and all 4 are now gone. But now there is no lockscreen at all? Waking the phone goes straight to the homescreen?]

- my previous sms messages and call logs are gone. The last rom i flashed (teppics), a restore restored sms and call logs. Somewhere i can find these now?

- seems all my user data is gone - did not get restored with a Ti backup?

- THE most annoying thing: my Home button no longer works. Pressing it does nothing. I have to use the back to get out. Is this a feature? bug? It will certainly be a deal breaker for me if it cant be rectified...

- Force close errors. I cannot do anything with sounds (Menu/Settings/Sound). every attempt gives a f/c. But I can go into all the other parts of the Settings menu.. Random apps pop up with the error/force close message, even if the are not being used (ie: Maps gave the error for no reason...)

Any thoughts? Is this just not the rom for me? or did I get a bad file? (I did the md5sum check and all was well)

:thinking::(

wiped and restored apps and data.
home button works again, woohoo.
But still no sms, call logs, or user data in apps.
And still not able to access the Sounds settings.

Edit:
Rebooted, to see if maybe it just need another reboot - now it has deleted the test sms messages since I wiped and restored.
Still no user data anywhere. oh - except my two scrabble type games - it restored my user data there?!
And the home button no longer works.
....sigh...

Upvote 0
Update: I wiped all data yet again, and all functionality is back. Home key works, can get into Sound menu etc.
Soooo... i guess that means a problem with my back up file?

Also, on a sort of related note... trying to understand where/how data is stored..
I haven't restored anything yet. So of course it tells me i have no contacts. So i typed in the phone number to send a text message, and after i hit send, it now shows the name of the person i sent it to? so even tho i did a wipe, theres still some info...somewhere...
Also, with wifi -- turned it on and it connected to my home connection right away. It remembered..?

Upvote 0
hi CC.

sorry to hear you are suffering with redux :-\
I tend to manually backup to sd my contacts just to be sure.

my sms calls etc do disappear after a flash but I assumed this was normal.

hope you get it sorted.

cheers
dan

...bit odd about remembering wifi. mine is always lost

Upvote 0
I tend to use MyBackupPro (bought it before rooting so didn't have Titanium) for sms/call logs etc. Just allows me to pick and choose which ones I want so much easier.

So only end up backing up and restoring user apps through Titanium and then can get my texts and call logs back through MBP. Never let me down.

Contacts should be synced as soon as you log into gmail. That's the beauty of Google contacts

Upvote 0
@cashmere

Restoring from Titanium the batch option for Missing apps plus data is the best one.

You need something like My Backup/SMSbackup etc to restore texts - i use MyBackupPro for restoring texts, contacts, user dictionary etc.

Wifi was remembered 'cos you've probably got the option to backup to Google servers enabled in Privacy settings - I turn that off 'cos it smacks of big brother :)

Upvote 0
hi CC.

sorry to hear you are suffering with redux :-\
I tend to manually backup to sd my contacts just to be sure.

my sms calls etc do disappear after a flash but I assumed this was normal.

hope you get it sorted.

cheers
dan

...bit odd about remembering wifi. mine is always lost

Hi dan
Yes so far it has been a bit of a hate/hate relationship with redux, lol. However, if i can get it all sorted out, i think i may like it as it seems to be quite fast.
Oh - and i've discovered that i have a blue LED!

Upvote 0
what you can try on your old rom, is using something that can browse /data/data (root explorer for example), find the apps in question you really need the data from and copy those folders to the new rom.

Yes, i wondered about that..
I dont have root explorer. Is there another one that might work? I have OI file manager...
Or some way on the PC, as i copied all backups to there..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones