• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I wanna love Redux...but...

Is oxygen quite different from redux?

No they're pretty similar really. I tend to bounce between Redux and Oxygen, but Redux (1.2) started to hang every so often so have been on Oxygen for a couple of months now - is more stable for me. You can find latest Oxygen here if you want to try it.

Haven't tried Redux 2 test - it sounds like there's a few additions included in it. Oxygen works for me, stable, clean, fast. Are you s-off? Or is that the next step ;) - doing this and changing partition tables helps makes the most of these ROMs

Upvote 0
You don't need to be but the advantages of these roms comes from the fact that they are stripped back and so smaller.

This saves on battery and makes them faster but arguably the biggest benefit is that if you re-partition the internal memory (because you need less space in \system) you get more space for your apps and sometimes don't even need to turn to the SD card for extra space. You can only re-partition with s-off.

Reactions: cashmere_cat
Upvote 0
No they're pretty similar really. I tend to bounce between Redux and Oxygen, but Redux (1.2) started to hang every so often so have been on Oxygen for a couple of months now - is more stable for me. You can find latest Oxygen here if you want to try it.

Haven't tried Redux 2 test - it sounds like there's a few additions included in it. Oxygen works for me, stable, clean, fast. Are you s-off? Or is that the next step ;) - doing this and changing partition tables helps makes the most of these ROMs

I agree they are pretty similar but redux 2 has a better notifications tab and persistent music controls on the lock screen. But oxygen was definitely worth flashing and using for a while. For some reason I also suffered from systemui fc which was a pain but I may well go back one day. Or I may get the confidence to s-off

Upvote 0
After a brief go using Oxygen, I am trying Redux again. I didnt mind Oxygen, but the battery life seemed to take a nose dive from what I've been used to.
This time around I have gotten Redux installed properly and am in the process of setting things up again. The oddest thing I've come across -- the alarm clock.
To have an alarm go daily (ie Monday to Friday to get up for work), the repeat schedule is day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ??? What happened to good ole names of the days of the week? The numbering system depends on when you consider the week to start - I would think Day 1 is a Sunday...but... maybe the dev of Redux is across the pond, and thinks differently? Very odd.

Upvote 0
After a brief go using Oxygen, I am trying Redux again. I didnt mind Oxygen, but the battery life seemed to take a nose dive from what I've been used to.
This time around I have gotten Redux installed properly and am in the process of setting things up again. The oddest thing I've come across -- the alarm clock.
To have an alarm go daily (ie Monday to Friday to get up for work), the repeat schedule is day 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 ??? What happened to good ole names of the days of the week? The numbering system depends on when you consider the week to start - I would think Day 1 is a Sunday...but... maybe the dev of Redux is across the pond, and thinks differently? Very odd.

All I see is proper days of the week. Redux 2.

Upvote 0
Hmm I'm on 1.2 and may do this. Will my phone start from scratch? Ie go through the initial set up? Also have you noticed much difference?

I flashed v2 right over top of 1.2 -- no wipe.
Everything is still as it was - all my settings etc remained. It did seem to take quite a while to reboot after - this always makes me a weeee bit nervous.
Haven't checked it out very much yet, but so far the differences I've noticed are the proper days of the week on the alarm clock. A very different pull down notification screen with tons of options.

The other thing I've noticed, although I'm not sure its a Redux thing, is that my 3G seems to be always busy. The "H" with the up and down arrows always seems to be flashing. Seems to be causing a drain on battery, not to mention my data usage is taking a hit. I've always left all the auto syncing on in the past, on all previous roms, including stock, and it hasnt done this. Wondering what has changed........

Upvote 0
Well, instead of making a new thread regarding Redux, I'll hijack this (seemingly) dead one.

I'm most likely to going to flash one of the experimental builds (2.31.08 lite TEST to be more precise) and wondering are all the apps which are removed the same available from the Market? As in the exact same ones? I'd like Google Maps & Talk, but I use alternatives for the other removed apps (Email, Gmail and LiveWallpapers). As there are only 3 relatively memory consuming apps I will be ridding myself of, I don't see this as a deal breaker.

Also, as I have flashed the Dalvik to SD script, I'm assuming that this will be perfectly fine to leave it as it is and not reflash it? But the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that I'm not right about that.. So a little clarification would be greatly appreciated.

Also, as I dare say more people will flash a 2.x version on Redux, how are people finding it? Is it stable? I appreciate that this is not a complete build and I find 1.2 solid as a rock. So very few issues. I think if I went to something even slightly buggy I'd be slightly put off as 1.2 is great.

As usual, many thanks all :D

Upvote 0
@Jon_LTD I have been using the full version of redux 2 test build 31/08 since it got released and have had no issues with it at all apart from when I decided to start using alternative kernels and tweaking with the overclocking and undervolting using incredicontrol. But I can't blame the rom for that. I have even been off playing with the likes of cm7 and oxygen but always seem to end up back at redux 2.
As for dalvik cache flash, I tend to reflash when I return to redux just in case.

The only issue I have ever had with redux 2 was with Google maps and places which for some reason shoulwed up twice in the app draw (one had a little red 'o' on it) but this was resolved by deleting the relevant apk from the rom and flashing again.
My suggestion is go for it. It is my favorite ans will take something special to get me away from it.
But that's just my opinion
Paul

Reactions: Jon_LTD
Upvote 0
Thanks gents,

I'm not too bothered about using custom Kernels at the minute as that will be my next project over the Christmas period. But something to consider certainly. As for the stability I'm glad to hear it sounds solid. I think the little perks will make the rom even more enjoyable to use and tailored for my own pickyness.

Thanks SUroot for clearing that up for me. I just knew the more I thought about it, the more it couldn't be right!

Upvote 0
Well, I installed it lastnight but wasn't too amazed. I restored my 1.2 nandroid. Also disappointed I couldn't get the official Google Talk from the market and unable roll back the market as it installed the newest version.
I'm working all week and I just figured I could have a play over the weekend to try and tailor to my needs. I was also immediately put off by the notification bar too! Couldn't immediately find the option to have the power widget incorporated in the notification as usual instead of the tab, but as previously mentioned, I didn't poke about too much.

Could I find the relevant .apk's for Google talk and the replace the market present in the zip? Not sure if that can be done. One thing I will say about it, very lite!

Upvote 0
Oops, I meant to get back to you on this didnt I.
Turned out I wasn't really that excited about Redux, even after upgrading to v2. A few small things that I wasnt crazy about, such as the power notification I think its called. The constant data usage calmed down a bit and as a result so did battery usage. Still I wasnt overly thrilled with redux.
I am now on cyanogen, and oddly enough, finding that I quite like it. Battery has been fairly decent, around 30 hours on a typical day of moderate use. It is very customizable, which is probably a good part of the draw for me. I like all the themes that are available - should keep me busy and entertained for a while!

Reactions: Mulan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones