• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I wanna try a 2.2 rom... but which one?

My advice is check out the ROM's released by Adrynalyne, and go with a ROM that is from the 2.2 released in august it seems to have less bugs then the one released in july.

It's all about what you want as well, I perfer Sense which is why I got an Incredible so I perfer ROM's with sense instead of vanilla. I recommend checking out the evo test port posted above aka Frankenstein ROM lol

or

Or this one which is also by Adrynalyne

It's just a cleaned up release of the August 2.2 with some of the bug fixes and bloatware removed.

Reactions: andreezy
Upvote 0
I did start the DL on the second wave...

Next question... Why is there a ton of downloads like ringtones, htc messaging app etc.

My assumption is the rom is missing ringtones and they need pushed, as well as htc messaging app?

Also since it's missing the backup assistant app, does anyone have the 2.2 backup assistant apk that i can push?

I'm officially gonna pull the trigger tonight! After I get enough liquid courage! LOL, more like after I get back from the Pro Football Hall of Fame Ribs Burn off!
THANKS to ALLL!

Upvote 0
My advice is check out the ROM's released by Adrynalyne, and go with a ROM that is from the 2.2 released in august it seems to have less bugs then the one released in july...

Although adrynalyne does amazing work and responds/supports those who use it (evidence one post above!...), please don't necessarily ignore some of the others ones out there - some people seem to be doing well with jager, skyraider, etc.

Reports on the various forums are all supporting the idea that the august-release based roms are doing well. And if you are looking for a more vanilla style experience, CM6 test 8 is very popular, save for a few kinks.

Play around with a few and get a taste of what each is about, takes only a few minutes to flash, you could have a different rom to match your outfit each day.

Upvote 0
I did start the DL on the second wave...

Next question... Why is there a ton of downloads like ringtones, htc messaging app etc.

My assumption is the rom is missing ringtones and they need pushed, as well as htc messaging app?

Also since it's missing the backup assistant app, does anyone have the 2.2 backup assistant apk that i can push?

I'm officially gonna pull the trigger tonight! After I get enough liquid courage! LOL, more like after I get back from the Pro Football Hall of Fame Ribs Burn off!
THANKS to ALLL!

Out of curiosity, does backup assistant send your data to remote server? I think so, but just contemplating the choice for BA vs titanium or other backup app.

Upvote 0
mybackup pro is pretty damn good.
don't really like titanium as it messes with system files and you don't have much control over the app restore process. seems like i get a lot more errors with titanium restores.

i hardly have any apps (im still a noob to android) so i really think titanium just isn't that great. that being said i haven't played around with it enough to know for sure.

oh yeah... my favorite 2.2 is the evo port or adryn's first 2.2 tweaked and enhanced.
I don't like the 8/1 leak version. just too slow.

Upvote 0
So far I've honestly had the most luck with the leaked 2.2 made for Inc though the fastest benchmark is still held by CM6 test 8. Right now I'm running the Evo rom and I have issues with mms and keeping sense from running but I love having the 720p video and 8mp pictures (neither of which are in CM6 - pictures are about 5mp).

Upvote 0
mybackup pro is pretty damn good.
don't really like titanium as it messes with system files and you don't have much control over the app restore process. seems like i get a lot more errors with titanium restores.

i hardly have any apps (im still a noob to android) so i really think titanium just isn't that great. that being said i haven't played around with it enough to know for sure.

oh yeah... my favorite 2.2 is the evo port or adryn's first 2.2 tweaked and enhanced.
I don't like the 8/1 leak version. just too slow.

We eventually determined it's the streaming audio fix that messes with quadrant scores. You get about the same linpack scores in either rom.

Reactions: lafester
Upvote 0
well i'm not going by scores... just the overal "snapyness" of the rom lol..
sliding between screens, opening emails etc.

i have never installed the audio fix and as far as i know it has not been included in any of the roms i have tried.

i do look at the scores but don't really hold them to much real meaning. all the 2.2 roms have scored really well compared to 2.1

Upvote 0
I've had great luck with the original Froyo leak (7/27). I have no patches installed and have full functionality in all regards. For whatever reason, I have not encountered any of the bugs others have seen. Not sure why, but I won't be flashing another ROM until either the official Froyo is released and made root safe or until CM6 is 100% stable and everything works without patches. If Koush keeps at it, I'll almost certainly end up on CM6 as my final choice.

Upvote 0
You are correct about the 2.x radio.

I did a titanium backup, nandroid backup, while I was still on stock 2.1 rom.

Unroot, flash radio,

I did a nandroid backup after getting to 2.x radio.

reroot, wipe data/cache, flash new rom is the steps I took.

for adrynalyne's roms you need to flash the 2. radio correct? i had this one time. went back to the first one, cause of the warnings. now to run it im talking, unroot, flash radio, reroot, flash new rom. wont bother doing a new backup cause it wont work with the new radio anyways.. right?

Upvote 0
How do I know which "radio" I have? (Not sure what it is either)

Menu > Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Baseband Version

Current stock is 2.15.00.07.28. I dare say a majority of rooted users are also on that radio. I'm sure you noticed that this thread is dated. I would look elsewhere for Rom ideas if that's where you were headed.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones