• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want iPhone 4

damnit I just watched the marketing video for the iPhone 4 and it is pretty sick!

I came back to Verizon last summer (because I was disappointed with AT&Ts service) and I had, in order, an HTC Droid Eris, a MotoDroid, and now I have the DInc. So far, the DInc is the only device that I personally feel holds a candle to the 3GS. So now that 4 is out...I am torn!

Somebody convince me that I should stick with Android...I really like Android but something about iPhone just set the bar for me.

That would make my decision for me. Whats the use of going back to ATT if the service wasn't good. If it didn't work for Steve Jobs during the demo then it probably won't work for you either lol

Upvote 0
A 3.5" screen isn't revolutionary. Apple might have the best 3.5" screen but it is still very small compared to everything else out there. They are stuck at that size because they have to, not because they want to. All their apps would break if they decided to come out with a 3.7" or larger screen. There's no reason why Android can't have a larger screen and even higher resolutions.

Why do they have to remain at any particular screen size? The OS capabilities should be dictated by resolution rather than physical size. They could easily get a 960x640 screen at a larger physical size.

It really just seems to be a marketing gimmick so they can claim that it has the highest ppi in the industry. I look at my X10 (which has a 245 ppi resolution) next to my dad's 3GS, and I can't understand why use such a small screen.

There's so much wasted space on the front face of the iPhone due to the small screen size.

Upvote 0
I don't buy the whole apps needing a 3.5" screen.

The iPad uses the same OS and is compatible with the same apps. It has a much larger screen.

I think they used 3.5" because there is one iPhone and it is a one size fits all thing. 3.5" is not small. It may not be big but it is big enough (I have a 3.5" phone). It works for teenage girls and business professionals.

Upvote 0
On 2.2 the code is JIT compiled to native code. There is no difference. In fact its possible through JIT compiling to produce more efficient machine code than hand coded C/C++/Objective C because the JIT can make adjustments to the machine code based on runtime usage. I don't know if Google went this route but the HotSpot VM from Sun/Oracle does this.

Now couple that with the chipmakers going into all out war to produce the best platform for Android and Android has nothing to worry about in the speed department.

Oh ok. I didn't know it had a jit compiler. Though I would be surprised if the jit compiler produced mre efficient machine code than a c program. C++/obj-c yeah, but c?

Upvote 0
I'm also not impressed by anything I saw in terms of build quality. In fact no one else was either.
We will let the market determine that. Some consider Leica's ugly, yet no canon faboys can dimsiss the build quality.

Actually no. I was not impressed by iMovie. I don't want to edit a movie on a 3.5 in screen

Just because it isn't on Android, doesn't mean it is not impressive. Google has Google Voice and Nav as their killer apps. The fact that you can do this on a phone (any phone, Android, Symbian/Nokia) is short of impressive. Some Netbooks can't even play 720p video or even attempt to edit them. I have a $400 Dell Mini netbook that can't do what a $200 iPhone does.

Here is a video of it in action. If you want to skip to the end result, go to 3:20 in the clip.

YouTube - iMovie for iPhone 4 - Demo at WWDC 2010

The more I think of it, the more I do think this type of technology is magical. We like to think of the tech specs and the nitty bitty gritty hardware nuances. The first time someone post a "made-on-iPhone" High Quality video, the result will speak for themselves. It doesn't matter about the iPhone, what matters is the end-product.

Last year, I bought a $300 720p pocket camera. I posted it for my friends to see. Everyone with $1500 1080p cameras were impressed with what I did with 720p footage. I didn't need to tell them or sell them on a macintosh. I just said, I did it in iMovie. That alone, 6 people bought macs afterwards. I go to parties, weddings, and none of my friends with $1500 full HD Canon camcorders say squat. Sure, you can do this on any platform, any computer, any software. I even have 2 DSLRs that shoot HD video and I don't lug them around because I know I can make quality, polished videos with "magical software."

Both the software and hardware solutions empower people to do things. It doesn't matter if it is a quad core 3 ghz phone, if it can be done on a 300 mhz phone, it is indeed magical. The result is the end product and when people see "magical" videos of their bridal shower, vacation done on an Iphone, it will sell the phone itself. I sure don't want to lug a laptop around if I am now going away for a 3 day weekend.

Upvote 0
We will let the market determine that. Some consider Leica's ugly, yet no canon faboys can dimsiss the build quality.

Just because it isn't on Android, doesn't mean it is not impressive. Google has Google Voice and Nav as their killer apps. The fact that you can do this on a phone (any phone, Android, Symbian/Nokia) is short of impressive. Some Netbooks can't even play 720p video or even attempt to edit them. I have a $400 Dell Mini netbook that can't do what a $200 iPhone does.

Here is a video of it in action. If you want to skip to the end result, go to 3:20 in the clip.

YouTube - iMovie for iPhone 4 - Demo at WWDC 2010

The more I think of it, the more I do think this type of technology is magical. We like to think of the tech specs and the nitty bitty gritty hardware nuances. The first time someone post a "made-on-iPhone" High Quality video, the result will speak for themselves. It doesn't matter about the iPhone, what matters is the end-product.

Last year, I bought a $300 720p pocket camera. I posted it for my friends to see. Everyone with $1500 1080p cameras were impressed with what I did with 720p footage. I didn't need to tell them or sell them on a macintosh. I just said, I did it in iMovie. That alone, 6 people bought macs afterwards. I go to parties, weddings, and none of my friends with $1500 full HD Canon camcorders say squat. Sure, you can do this on any platform, any computer, any software. I even have 2 DSLRs that shoot HD video and I don't lug them around because I know I can make quality, polished videos with "magical software."

Both the software and hardware solutions empower people to do things. It doesn't matter if it is a quad core 3 ghz phone, if it can be done on a 300 mhz phone, it is indeed magical. The result is the end product and when people see "magical" videos of their bridal shower, vacation done on an Iphone, it will sell the phone itself. I sure don't want to lug a laptop around if I am now going away for a 3 day weekend.

Good enough point.

Upvote 0
Oh ok. I didn't know it had a jit compiler. Though I would be surprised if the jit compiler produced mre efficient machine code than a c program. C++/obj-c yeah, but c?

Its been debated over and over but some tests showed Java outrunning C...in SOME areas...it wasn't everywhere. The main thing though is that its come to the point of being negligible for most things.

Upvote 0
iMovie is quite nice and guess what you f****** PAY for it, AFERT PAYING over the odds for the new iphone.

Its just insanity $5 for that??!! it should be a free feature!

Technology isnt magical its scientific, if you call anything magical your just buying into Apples PR.

Technology is amazing, yes (i still find it incredable that lightning and silicone can do so much) but your an idiot if you consider it magical.

And yeah Google have Google voice and Google Nav as killer apps...oh wait they are free! ...wait good tech....thats free...Now if Apple did that they COULD call it magical ...oh look a talking lion and a white witch :eek::eek::eek: AND FREE APPLE TECH :eek::eek::eek:

Upvote 0
Just because it isn't on Android, doesn't mean it is not impressive.

Who said that? I said I don't want to edit video on a 3.5 in screen. I also said I don't want to edit photos on a 3.7 in screen. With all the photo editing options for Android I don't use a single one of them. Seems like you were looking for some Android bias and found none. iMovie may be great on a laptop. I don't see video editing becoming a widely used feature on any small screen phone Apple or not.

The market has already determined that the phone is ugly. People across the internet were PRAYING that what Gizmodo had was not the real iPhone. Now that Jobs has blessed it they will all forget what they said about it and buy it. Its as simple as that. This doesn't change the fact that they said it was ugly. All it means is that they don't have their own opinions. Beauty for them is in the eye of Steve Jobs.

Upvote 0
iMovie is quite nice and guess what you f****** PAY for it, AFERT PAYING over the odds for the new iphone.

Its just insanity $5 for that??!! it should be a free feature!

Technology isnt magical its scientific, if you call anything magical your just buying into Apples PR.

Technology is amazing, yes (i still find it incredable that lightning and silicone can do so much) but your an idiot if you consider it magical.

And yeah Google have Google voice and Google Nav as killer apps...oh wait they are free! ...wait good tech....thats free...Now if Apple did that they COULD call it magical ...oh look a talking lion and a white witch :eek::eek::eek: AND FREE APPLE TECH :eek::eek::eek:

That is a good point.

Apple do charge for most things.
They just changed their upgrades for iPods to free (its amazing) :D

iMovie is a great little application however it would work much better on their Ipad.

I hope someone comes up with a good android version for whatever android tablet gets released.

Upvote 0

I tend to think of consumer tech in terms of what it does for me and not what it does for someone else. The fact of the matter is I'm never going to be staging videos and setting up lighting the way the professionals have done with the video footage presented here. So while iMove on an iPhone may work well for a videographer its not doing anything for me. It looks cool and all and I'm sure someone will put some "made-on-iPhone" vid on YouTube. But I'm no closer to making that type of vid than I am building an Android controller robot. Both are nice but neither amount to something that would make me buy the phone. (Well maybe I'm lying a little about the robot since Im a developer lol)

What I WILL be doing is keeping up with news, email, IM's and other information at a pretty rapid pace. I need information presented to me as soon as I unlock my phone. I need to be able to arrange that information in a way thats best suited to the way I work. I need to be able to take note of a notification without having to respond to it or dismiss it immediately. Those things are "magical" to me. Bells and whistles are no good if a device can't handle its primary function. If it were a video camera rather than a communication device then maybe I could see it. But at this point its actually starting to look more like a Microsoft Kin phone. It does everything but actually help you communicate.

Upvote 0
damnit I just watched the marketing video for the iPhone 4 and it is pretty sick!

I came back to Verizon last summer (because I was disappointed with AT&Ts service) and I had, in order, an HTC Droid Eris, a MotoDroid, and now I have the DInc. So far, the DInc is the only device that I personally feel holds a candle to the 3GS. So now that 4 is out...I am torn!

Somebody convince me that I should stick with Android...I really like Android but something about iPhone just set the bar for me.

Sure the iphone 4 looks amazing, i wont doubt that. But regardless of how good it is, it will ALWAYS be a walled garden thanks to apple's policy of protecting their stuffs. ;)

Ex-3GS user here btw.

Upvote 0
I tend to think of consumer tech in terms of what it does for me and not what it does for someone else.
Agreed.
I need information presented to me as soon as I unlock my phone.
I need to be able to take note of a notification without having to respond to it or dismiss it immediately. Those things are "magical" to me.
Bells and whistles are no good if a device can't handle its primary function.

I totally agree with you on this 100%. By the same Token, the iPhone, by your standard is magical to me because I can get my message/data/info whereas my HTC Incredible can't.

I use a Cisco VPN at work. All my emails go thru a IPSEC vpn. I need to SSH, VNC into my work workstation when I am away.

As of today, this is the number #3 requested feature for Android on Google's bug fix site:
Issues - android - Project Hosting on Google Code

To you and many others, you guys may not need this. If you read all the comments on that feature request, it is a deal-breaker for thousands of people. Just as multi-tasking is a deal-breaker and major bullet point for any Android fan on this site.

Like you said, what matters is what it does for "you."
I feel the same way, people here often the whole notion of choice, choice, open-ness,etc... flexibility. Thats is fine and in the real world, sometimes you want things done easy.

I've given this example a few times and let me explain it again:
I have thousands of photos all over the place. I have 4-6 dozen albums of events. I go to a wedding (which is the 434th pict in a set), I may want the shot of the ring to be the cover of my album. I may want all the photos at the end to be my highlight images and have them show 1st in a slideshow.

If I have DSN1000.jpg to DSN4000.jpg, I may want DSN20014.jpg to come 1st, DSN3999.jpg to come next. So for each photo I have, in Android, I have to go in an manually re-name, renumber my photos because there is simply no App in the market place that can organize the photos they way I want it. They all assume you want to see the photos based on the alphabetical naming conventions. So, I have to go in an rename DSN20014.jpg as 001_DSN20014.jpg, 002_DSN3999.jpg, etc..
I also have to run a cron job to resize 18-20 megabyte files to fit on the phone. I then have to go find the album cover and make a copy of it called .folder jpg so I can get a visual representation of it on some Gallery apps.

So if a piece of software "for simpleton" can do these simple tasks, it is indeed magical. With the iPhone, iTunes, the example I just gave are just a matter of clicks. Consumers, buy this kind of so-called "simplicity" and "ease-of-use." In my example, I don't care what platform I use. I just want to do what I just outlined in a simple fashion. I am willing to pay for it.

I'm willing to pay $30 for a good Photo management app on Android.
I am willing to pay $50 for an iMovie clone on Android.
Heck, I am willing to spend $350 for a Cisco VPN client for Android (I paid that much for a WM version few years ago).

Unlike some people, I don't expect everything for free. So to they guy expecting something like iMovie for free is being a bit ridiculous.

Upvote 0
But what I said is still valid. The publish specs for both the EVO and Incredible are 16-bit. The Nexus One is still inconclusive because there is no official publish spec. It could very well still be 16-bit and not be a software issue. Some apps can scale down and not produce banding even in a 16-bit display yet it is still a 16-bit physical display. E.G. my HTC sense photo gallery does a decent job of re-dithering that exact same Mars image and not show banding. It does a better job that the 2.1 gallery app but, the fact remains, my HTC incredible is still 16-bit according to Verizon's published specs.

One other thing to note, even the Motorola Droid's screen produces much sharper; readable text over the N1/Incredible's AMOLED screen.

Have you read Arstechnica scathing review of AMOLED? Those screens may not even produce the resolution they are claiming due to the inherent design of 'pentile pixel arrangement'

Secrets of the Nexus One's screen: science, color, and hacks

Yeah AMOLED is very bright. I prefer LCD for reading.

Just saying, there isn't enough proof to say the N1 is not capable of 24-bit. The HTC Desire is supposed to be the Sense twin of the N1 and it is supposed to be capable. Time will tell once that Gallery app is updated.

Upvote 0
Yeah AMOLED is very bright. I prefer LCD for reading.

Just saying, there isn't enough proof to say the N1 is not capable of 24-bit. The HTC Desire is supposed to be the Sense twin of the N1 and it is supposed to be capable. Time will tell once that Gallery app is updated.

it's harware capable but if the software doesn't support it then the hardware won't. The world doesn't revolve around what something can do. It resolves around what something does do. AT&T 3g can do 7.2mbps speed bit it doesn't.

Upvote 0
...The Iphone 4 is going to be outdated in 6 months. I mean.. so is the DINC and the EVO...
But doesn't Apple commit to giving you each OS update, up to and including the next major release as and when they're released? iPhone4 buyers know today that they're gonna be support at least until iOS5, hTC Hero owner's have been totally ignored for how long? 2.1 might be only weeks away, but anybody think hTC will give Hero owners another thought after that?

If the iPhone does what you want, it does seem the better buy IMO than any Android at the moment.

Upvote 0
But doesn't Apple commit to giving you each OS update, up to and including the next major release as and when they're released? iPhone4 buyers know today that they're gonna be support at least until iOS5, hTC Hero owner's have been totally ignored for how long? 2.1 might be only weeks away, but anybody think hTC will give Hero owners another thought after that?

What, kind of like how Nexus One owners know we'll get Froyo (in fact, we've already gotten that) and Gingerbread?

Upvote 0
What, kind of like how Nexus One owners know we'll get Froyo (in fact, we've already gotten that) and Gingerbread?
Yes, if that's what Google have said, but hTC don't seem to be making any such commitment; not sure about Samsung/SE/Motorola etc. It's this confusion of OSs and strategies that I think confuses some at a consumer level. You won't see Apple release a new product running old software, like Dell's Streak and SE's X10.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones