I want more than a 72dpi photo

Last Updated:

1. BigHAZE

BigHAZE Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I took some photos today at 8MP and they were all 72dpi. That is some camera "trickery". Is HIGH better than FINE? I used ISO 200 and Auto and the photos were grainy...not at all like the ones I have seen posted here.

So...8MP "sounds better" but are the photos only good after you take them into photoshop and resize them?

What is the best setting for the best outdoor photos?

ISO = ?
    HIGH or FINE
    WHICH MP SETTING?
    WIDESCREEN?

To the folks who have taken the nice shots elsewhere in the forum...your settings please?

:)

TIA

Advertisement
  2. djkleric

djkleric Well-Known Member

ISO is the sesativity of the sensor. the higher it is the more sensative it is, which makes the picture look noisy.
    High is the best quality

BigHAZE likes this.
  3. anthonylokrn

anthonylokrn Well-Known Member

Lowest ISO possible will yield the best photo clarity; higher ISO will start producing noise (grainy). If you're taking pictures of a moving object, then it will require a higher ISO for faster shutter speed.

4. NeoteriX

NeoteriX Well-Known Member

You do not understand what "dpi" is. DPI stands for "dots per inch" and thus it is only relevant for printing. An image's dpi essentially tells the printer how "fine" to print an image -- whether to cram more or less pixels into a given square inch of paper. For any given image, you can print a smaller photo (with a greater dpi) or blow it up (with a smaller dpi).

So really it's not a fixed value and for all intents and purposes, one can change any image's DPI without changing anything of the image (quality, size, intrinsic nature) itself.

5. Kevin C

Kevin C Well-Known Member

Try 400 ISO for an indoor picture with the led flash...I had mine set for auto and was getting grainy pics too...much better on 400

6. Rob_A

Rob_A Well-Known Member

72dpi is normal. Resize the pic to 8x10" and the dpi will be around 250dpi+ (my 15MP DSLR takes pics that the photoshop says are 44x66", 72dpi. When I shrink that down to fit 8x10, it's about 350dpi)