• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want my privacy.

I really want alternative phone OS's to come out other than Android. Android is java on top of Linux, which is a fully open-source project, without any need to make money off of you. As much as I love android, I think it's wrong of Google to take an open source thing like Linux and turn it in to something that makes them money, which is the complete opposite philosophy of the creators of Linux.

Upvote 0
It's free as in speech, not free as in beer.

^ That quote is from Richard Stallman - the guy who started free and open software, created the GNU repository, and is responsible for the GPL.

You wouldn't have a GNU/Linux on your desktop if it wasn't for him.

Some of the biggest advances in Linux have come from its commercialization - RedHat Linux - perhaps you've heard of it.

Linus Torvalds - the man who started the open project leading to the kernel bearing his name - how do you think he's made money since college?

Not from the Free Pwnies fulfilling your mythology.

Sorry but there it is.

Upvote 0
It's free as in speech, not free as in beer.

^ That quote is from Richard Stallman - the guy who started free and open software, created the GNU repository, and is responsible for the GPL.

You wouldn't have a GNU/Linux on your desktop if it wasn't for him.

Some of the biggest advances in Linux have come from its commercialization - RedHat Linux - perhaps you've heard of it.

Linus Torvalds - the man who started the open project leading to the kernel bearing his name - how do you think he's made money since college?

Not from the Free Pwnies fulfilling your mythology.

Sorry but there it is.
I stand corrected, but I still think it's wrong. I'd rather pay for something to not collect all my personal data and use me as an infinite cash machine.

Upvote 0
I stand corrected, but I still think it's wrong. I'd rather pay for something to not collect all my personal data and use me as an infinite cash machine.
People pay for iOS and get used that way.

Your carrier will do everything in their power to use you that way and you're paying them through the nose.

At least with Android, if you root responsibly, you can do a great deal to prevent data mining.

Like your desktop browser does unless you're running an Ad Blocker and Ghostery.

Not a problem unique to Android my friend.

Upvote 0

Your under the illusion if you pay you will have privacy in fact the opposite is very true. IF Android was paid for then they would still do data mining. It happens in iOS and Windows as well. All these corporations offer you services in order to gain information to sell you crap you don't need. So at least I'm not paying for android for them to do this. That would really blow. As far as infinte cash machine thats all we are to them nothing less nothing more. Just a source of revenue and yes they will bleed you dry rather you pay them or not.

Upvote 0
If you pay for an app, you don't expect ads. That's part of why you pay for it. Nothing about what it collects.

Firefox and Pale Moon do have adblockers and Ghostery extenstions for their Android browsers. Since the webkit vulnerability with browsers, Chrome and FX were recommended. Pale Moon is an FX clone. Dolphin was also shown not to be affected.

I use Dolphin and still have Boat. Both browsers have settings for search engines. Both will have Duck Duck Go as a default. Duck is not supposed to track you. Neither does Startpage or Ixquick. I put a speed dial to Startpage and use that. All of the above browsers let you delete everything on exit. (History, cookies, passwords and more,) Boat and Dolphin have private browsing.
Dolphin has Zero. You can't even keep a bookmark in Zero. Using these browsers doesn't guarantee all privacy, but it does register dislike of the system.

BTW - article and news story. Some cable stations are not too popular, and to create more revenue they are shortening programs by speeding them up slightly to be able to place more ads. If users aren't watching because of too many ads and lousy content, that's rather a strange solution. Look for same on all devices.

ATT is competing with Google Fiber in some areas. If you want more privacy with ATT, it's $30 more on bill.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
If you pay for an app, you don't expect ads. That's part of why you pay for it. Nothing about what it collects.

Wasn't the whole point of Cable television is that is was a paid service which meant you would get less advertising than with commercial TV? Well look how well that Paid service went. I think anyone who pays for an app or program or anything and expect not to get some kind of advertisement is only fooling themselves. Oh some may start that way but eventually if they wish to survive they will go where the money goes.

Upvote 0
Wasn't the whole point of Cable television is that is was a paid service which meant you would get less advertising than with commercial TV? Well look how well that Paid service went. I think anyone who pays for an app or program or anything and expect not to get some kind of advertisement is only fooling themselves. Oh some may start that way but eventually if they wish to survive they will go where the money goes.
The original point was CATV - community access TV - a wired reception system for regular TV with costs shared by the community - why the city council still has some control over your local cable service.

Pay TV came later.

HBO was the first to try it with commercials during a movie in the 80s. Consumer complaints made it stop.

Then we have Hulu. Used to be ad-supported. We still have it. Except that they moved the good programs to Hulu Plus. That you pay for. And still has ads.

Anyway - if we want to continue off topic, this needs to go to the Lounge.

But the point is, no matter how you slice it, profit motives are tied to privacy.

How many people here have their own cheapo domain and run with their own mail service? I recommend 1and1.com - anything on a free emailer - don't be surprised at what you get for free.

Bandwidth costs money.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0
Without discontent, there is no improvement.

Discontent in feature phones led to the smartphones we know today.

I hope I'm not holding the pinnacle of technology that my great great great grandchildren will also be using.

And telling people to get off on a dumb phone and stop complaining is far from polite and quite unacceptable here.

Please don't do it again.

http://androidforums.com/threads/site-rules-guidelines.704/

I have very little tolerance for uncalled for disrespect. With that said.. read on. Please treat other members with respect. These forums were put together for Android fans to come together and help each other, collaborate and discuss in a positive way – not bash on someone because you don't like their idea, or because they don't share the same views as you. We are big into the free speech idea here. So you're free to say what you think – but do it in a constructive, positive, 'add to the conversation' kinda way – not the condescending 'I don't like what you're saying so you suck' kinda way. We encourage mature debates – discourage childish arguments.

Upvote 0
Google can track what ever they want. Battery, data, location, app usage. Its their software and can do what they want with it. If you don't want Google tracking you at all, buy a dumb phone that does just calls and texts and stop complaining.

It's not that simple, although that's about as far as most people want to take it.

First, Google can't track whatever they want. There are laws that require an agreement between the user and provider that is within the confines of current laws. Of course Google will push the envelope and most people don't read the agreements past "click here to agree". And, it's not really their software in the sense that they own it. It's a conglomeration of software bits and pieces licensed and cross-licensed. Apple, Microsoft, Oracle, Samsung, Apache and many others aside from Google's development have a hand in Android ... and pretty much every device that requires an OS to operate.

Everybody collects data these days. Google, sure, that's their business model, but so do almost every retail store you walk into, any website you log on to, your phone calls, bridge tolls, tax returns, magazine subscriptions ... ad nauseum. To take yourself completely off the grid, you'd have to become an Orwellian "unperson".

Buying a feature phone or dumb phone isn't going to prevent tracking. Many have GPS chips in them and they still can track your movements through cell tower triangulation. Your calls all still go through the same networks and the carriers can dump as much data as they want because you probably agreed to it when you signed up.

Privacy isn't about being invisible. Privacy is, in my opinion, about trying to regulate technology to enforce basic concepts of respect and dignity.

That's the world we live in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've caught all kinds of flack for this, but here goes:

Some of us do not want smart phones as entertainment and banking/shopping/social centers.

I can't carry a backpack full of books and cameras on a hike. Android has some fantastic apps for nature and astronomy. Why shouldn't I be able to use a phone that way if it's my choice? I've bought 98% of all those apps. Some were not cheap. A dumb phone won't handle this load. Since these apps are so good, I'm taking full advantage.
Most work offline.

I have been criticized for using a phone this way. "You are not getting the fullest extent of all the things your phone is capable of."

Then put out a device that doesn't do phone calls and will run these apps. I'll buy a dumb phone for calls and text.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
My dad uses his tablet exclusively for internet and app usage. He was paying for a smart phone plan but never used the "smart phone" The tablet was much easeir to see and so he never used his phone for that he just made calls with it. He just got a dumb phone said he couldn't be happier with it. Tablet does all the stuff he wants with the internet and phone makes and recieves calls he is a happy camper

Upvote 0
My dad uses his tablet exclusively for internet and app usage. He was paying for a smart phone plan but never used the "smart phone" The tablet was much easeir to see and so he never used his phone for that he just made calls with it. He just got a dumb phone said he couldn't be happier with it. Tablet does all the stuff he wants with the internet and phone makes and recieves calls he is a happy camper
I've strongly considered this option on my last two phone purchases.

Reactions: argedion
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones