I want my radio stations!

Last Updated:

1. croid

croid Active Member This Topic's Starter

I want to be able to listen to WMUZ, WRDT, and KBRT. The only droid radio app that I'm aware of that carries these stations is Flycast which doesn't work for squat on my Eris. These stations all use Liquid Compass and Silverlight/Windows Media to stream their audio. Anybody know of a streaming radio app that carries these stations or a way to play the stream?
    Here's an example of one of the station's website and the actual address it takes you to when you click listen live:

Listen live: The WORD

TIA for any/all help!

Advertisement
  2. Akshun

Akshun Active Member

Have you tried iheartradio?

3. croid

Yep and unfortunately, it doesn't carry any of the stations. Thanks, tho'.

4. Akshun

Akshun Active Member

Well keep checking back on iheartradio or email your radio station. Seriously. I know in the Chicago area people complained to Drex that he wasn't on iheartradio and they just got added a couple weeks ago.

5. croid

Funny you should mention that... I just emailed Crawford Broadcasting (who owns all three stations) this morning and asked if they had plans to be carried on iheartradio! Also let them know how horrible Flycast is on the Eris.

6. Akshun

Akshun Active Member

Lol then you're on the right track...hopefully they pay attention!

7. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

Took a few minutes of network sniffing, but it appears that both WMUZ and WRDT both use the Microsoft .asf format for streaming online.

There doesn't appear to be an Android app that can handle this format yet.
    Streams using the .asx format also do not work.

8. dano272

dano272 Member

For asx streaming - search the market for droid cumulus. I have had decent luck with it streaming asx radio stations. Wish there were more options for these streams - as cumulus is pretty rough around the edges.

9. croid

How do I get cumulus to play streams from web pages, as in those that aren't in it's predetermine list of stations? Or is that even possible?

10. Droid Fan Kevin

Droid Fan Kevin Member

Cumulus Droid is an app provided by Cumulus Radio for their stations and iHeartRadio is a Clear Channel app for their stations so unless those stations are owned by either one of those companies, you might just be out of luck with them.

Besides that, I have a Droid and have had absolute zero luck with Cumulus Droid. Everytime I try to click on KTCK in Dallas, from their own list, it always gets stuck on Buffering. Very frustrating but I have to say that since I ran into that problem I have had luck with Flycast. I know that you said that that app won't work for you.

Good luck.

11. mkhopper

Man, this app is perfect. Now I can listen to the local OHL hockey games streamed from insinc.com.

(Still, I wish everyone would just do it the easy way and stream in mp3 format....)

12. croid

Guess I'll have to wait until Flycast gets their act together and comes up with a version that works on the Eris or Adobe/HTC/Verizon get their act together and get flash on their phones. I'm also wondering if maybe Flycast would work better once the Eris gets updated to Android 2.0? (Hint, hint Verizon/HTC. Are you listening?)

13. mkhopper

Yes, it's possible. Just takes a little work sometimes.

In the case where I wanted to listen to a stream from insinc.com, the stream is clearly shown in the "Listen Live" link.
    ( Plymouth Whalers Hockey )
    This allows the stream to open in the default player no matter what OS you're using. Windows, Linux, etc...

So I went to the insinc site from the Hero phone browser, clicked the link for the .asx file and it automatically opened in Droid Cumulus.

Going to the site in the browser first was needed because you can't manually add custom stations in DC. But once the stream was running I just added it as a favorite and get to it easily from now on.

For other stations, many times the actual stream request is made by the web-based player in the browser and you can't see the address of the stream. This is where a little network detective work comes in.

I use the SmartSniff utility. (A handy, portable little network sniffer for Windows that doesn't require a separate pcap driver.)
    I start the sniffer and then open the stream player in my browser. For streams you know to be Culumus .asx streams, you'll probably need to open the player using IE. I have problems with Cumulus streams in Firefox.

Once the audio starts, I stop the sniffer and change the Display Mode in Options to URL List. Somewhere in the list of links will be the actual audio stream address.

Open that address using the stock browser on the phone, it will open in DC and you're good to go.

14. bobarcher

bobarcher Active Member

Looking for an app that I can use to listen to "live" radio. I enjoy listening to live sporting events (Baseball, Football, Basketball) and am unable to figure out how to listen to the games live. I have IHeartRadio and while I love the app, it does not stream live sports (at least not for the teams I follow...Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, Cincinnati Reds and Ohio State Football & Basketball). Anyone know of an app that will allow me to turn my Moto Droid into a radio?

15. rugerjitsu

rugerjitsu Member

haven't tried Flycast yet, but Cumulus Droid worked for a whole day, now everytime i try to listen to 1310 the ticket, it buffers...and buffers, and buffers!!!!

what to do about this?? why would it work for a day, then stop working, and just buffer?!?!?!

so frusterated!! i need my 1310!!!!

16. rugerjitsu

rugerjitsu Member

AWESOME, just installed Flycast, took only a minute!

BOOOOO!! tried connecting twice to 1310 The Ticket, and got "media player Error, Server died 0" both times...

my HTC Hero Droid stock is plummeting...

17. timtim55555

timtim55555 Member

yes if anyone can please tell me a way to get KTCK the ticket to stream on my droid phone (motorla cliq) I would love you really hard strong. I got it to work on my former phones (behold and blackberry and g1) with moodio, but the player on this device will not play, it will just sit there at loading video. and none of the apps on the market have worked so far.

Thanks

18. nestrapez

nestrapez Active Member

Try Droidlive.

19. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

Unfortunately all the stations I wanted were on Nobex Radio Companion on my Blackberry, none of them show up on any of the Radio applications in the Store.

Edit: I was able to get 1 station working using A Radio due to that station having an MP3 stream.

20. croid

21. timtim55555

timtim55555 Member

no dice.. thanks tho. i'll keep looking. hopefully they'll update that droid cumulus app so it works.

22. croid

Yay! I found a way to play these stations... Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio

I was able to use URL Snooper to discover the real URLs of the streams of these stations and add them to Moodio
    Using dolphin browser and A Online Radio, I can stream these stations without using the video player.
    For those interested, just go to Welcome to Moodio! | Moodio. All the info you need to get going is there on the site and they have a forum to help you out too.

23. timtim55555

timtim55555 Member

you rock! works! listening to the ticket right now.

24. croid

Yes, yes I do! [j/k]
    I use Dolphin browser with the User Agent in settings set to iPhone and the bitrate/channel set to 32kbps, stereo in the streaming setting on the moodio site. Is this how you got yours working?
    BTW, happy to be of help!

Droid Fan Kevin likes this.
  25. Droid Fan Kevin

Droid Fan Kevin Member

Let me add my thanks to you as well, Croid... That solution you found is by far the most stable I have come across to date. I still can use Flycast but that damn app is so damn squirrelly that I usually have to give up on it after a few disconnects.

Thanks man.:)