• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I want the nexus s but....

I know, i know, AT&T's network isn't the greatest, BUT their 3g network here in Grand Rapids, MI is about 5 years mature, and tmobiles 3G is only about 18 months mature. I hear horror stories about tmobile coverage. I live in the city and I have family out by lake michigan and out in farm country. with my old as janky iPhone 3g I get 3g service in all those places. I would pull my hair out if i was stuck on anything slower than 3g when at my in-laws for hours on end.

so does anyone have experience with tmobiles 3g coverage and general speed in Grand Rapids? I demoed a nexus s at a best buy on launch day, and that thing really is quick. Just don't want to regret the decision.

FYI i got the iPhone 2 years ago january, so i am just hoping i can make it until my contract runs up before i get another phone. otherwise i would have switched long ago. also AT&T has no android offerings worth a damn. I am just hoping the iphone goes to verizon so AT&T is forced to improve their selection, and possibly have a nexus released with ATT3G bands.

I will take any advice.

Thanks.

I know the feeling...I was waiting forever for Sprint to have something that I felt was worthy of me carrying around all day. I went with T-Mo and sacrificed a VERY cheap Sprint plan for it. The coverage is also less. With Sprint I never lost phone signal but I do with T-Mo.

I will say though I love the phone selection of T-Mo. I did not like the Evo, it was too big and bulky in my pocket. Same prob with the Epic and likely worse since it has a keyboard.

I don't have a whole lot of regret leaving Sprint and the cheapo plan I had. That said though it will depend on how much coverage you have and how much you use your phone. Also take into consideration what you are currently paying. If you are saving money on this move and you can live with less coverage for a better phone then its great.

Since you have to wait till Jan you might see CES announce a phone for Att.

Btw...What are your issues with the Captivate?

My advice is if you are completely satisfied with the price you are paying and the service you are getting then stay put and wait it out.(I was also very unhappy with how slow Sprint was with data so it contributed to my decision to leave)...T-Mo edge is faster than Sprint 3G was.

I went with the no contract plan so I love the fact that I can make a decision at any point to go anywhere else I please without a large ETF.

Unfortunately T-Mo only gives you 14 days return to try out their service. But it could be worth taking a test drive for a cpl weeks and see the service in comparison to what you have now.

Good luck

Upvote 0
so, if i want an alternative to the nexus with tmobile it looks like either the my touch 4g or the g2, right?

am i missing anything? I toyed with the g2 and i love the stock feel and the keyboard is a nice touch, but i don't like the hinge (Z-hinge? what a bad idea!) or the feel in my hand. also i don't feel any need for a physical keyboard.

the my touch is bloated with the tmobile "my-touch-ified" sense and genius buttoned. ick. BUT! i like the FFC!

Upvote 0
so, if i want an alternative to the nexus with tmobile it looks like either the my touch 4g or the g2, right?

am i missing anything? I toyed with the g2 and i love the stock feel and the keyboard is a nice touch, but i don't like the hinge (Z-hinge? what a bad idea!) or the feel in my hand. also i don't feel any need for a physical keyboard.

the my touch is bloated with the tmobile "my-touch-ified" sense and genius buttoned. ick. BUT! i like the FFC!

I think the Nexus S, mt4g, and g2 are their only "4G" phones, so yeah.

The Vibrant is probably just as good as those two, but isn't 4G and you already said you don't like Galaxy S phones. Although, the bloatware can easily be removed after rooting.

I'm personally eligible for a new subsized phone now, but I'm going to hold out for something better, or until the Nexus S is available through t-mobile.com.

Upvote 0
I think the Nexus S, mt4g, and g2 are their only "4G" phones, so yeah.

The Vibrant is probably just as good as those two, but isn't 4G and you already said you don't like Galaxy S phones. Although, the bloatware can easily be removed after rooting.

I'm personally eligible for a new subsized phone now, but I'm going to hold out for something better, or until the Nexus S is available through t-mobile.com.

Nexus S not 4G

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones