• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to bring CyanogenMod to the Samsung Galaxy Centura, is it cool to ask for help?

Alright wanted to help some how. Anyways someone really needs to create a tutorial for making these builds for devices. I would like to learn how to properly do so. Then try helping others learn how to make it. Since this is not likely ever to happen though and that I can't help people at the moment it's best I just go away. Since I don't want to get in the way of this work being done. Good luck with the project just wish I knew more so people could create more of these.

Reactions: dyngar
Upvote 0
Actually I'm way ahead of you on that. Not like, finished ahead of you, but I am currently also writing a detailed, sequential, realistically-a-little-more-than 0 to 60 guide on as many of the variations of the Android porting process as I can document here. https://github.com/cmotc/android_porting_guidebook . It already expands upon and documents a few things that previously existed only in the form of obscure, half-Tamil XDA threads and vaguely sarcastic StackExchange answers, and includes most of what the AOSP, CyanogenMod and Replicant porting guides have as well, and I'm only like, 20% of the way done. If you want, submit a bug report about something you want to learn and I'll write that chapter next. There isn't much to do on the code front for the ROM until we have a successful build(Thanks again Franklesby for all your help so far.) *BUT* if you really want to help, and I'm not trying to pressure you or anything, I could really use some DigitalOcean time/space. At least 70 GB storage and 4GB RAM to build the ROM over a remote shell. My build machine is broken and my other machines are netbooks and an rPi so Frank and I are doing this whole thing asynchronously and it's not pleasant for me and I'm sure it's losing it's appeal for him too. I'm open to other suggestions too, I'm just down a workhorse and need some way to fix that. Also there is an updated build guide on the official website https://cmotc.github.io

Upvote 0
OK guys, pretty big news on the compilation front. First, and most importantly, I'm pretty sure the last commit I pushed fixed the partition creation problem. I borrowed some code from the LG e610 repository in CM10. Second, I've got access to a pretty significant amount of power again for most of the day and this week and can compile it myself too. It's 6AM and I haven't been to bed yet, but I've got mka running right now and will know when I wake up. I'll keep you posted.

Upvote 0
Not understanding the Build Guide. Don't know what you mean by the first real step Several “build packages” are needed to build CyanogenMod. You can install these using the GNU+Linux package manager of your choice. What is a GNU+Linux package manager. I have tried searching for this but couldn't figure out what this means. Without knowing what this is or where to find it I can't proceed with making a build. Why do we have to build it couldn't you make the whole thing available for download. If I am not understanding one of the first things to do then I am not likely to ever use this Cyanogenmod build since I can't make it.

Upvote 0
I see on the website about a flashable version. If so I and any other people unable to access a Linux device on their desktop will absolutely love you for this. Now I just need to find where my smartphone went. I kinda lost it at the moment. Should be around here somewhere. If not I can always by a new one it would be worth it depending on how well the Cyanogenmod version performs on the device.

Upvote 0
OK guys, sorry for the delay, I've had an absolutely crazy couple of months and not had as much time as I thought I would. Some good stuff, some bad stuff, but I'm alive.

Good news though, If you take a look back at the website, you'll see the first version I've made worth releasing. There will probably be semi-frequent updates as I figure out how to work all the kinks out of it, I've got a new build machine that will do in <2 hours what my old machine would fail to do in >6, so that's a big plus, thanks again franklesby for all your help.

Bad news, I've still got to move and help my buddy start his business at the same time for a month but after that, I'll be able to pay myself to mess around with Android and this hobby will get closer to full-time support. Like I said, I've had a really weird couple months.

Besides that, I've made some updates to the web site(s), some of them are trivial, and some of them are critical, I'll walk you through them.

First, and the biggest single issue, I've added the firmware blobs to the android_vendor_samsung_schS738c repository. This won't matter much to you unless you decide to build from source(Which I encourage you to do, it's educational and very satisfying) but what it means is that I should be able to support all the hardware the phone is running. Actually, they're set up from the Galaxy Mini 2 repository created by TheWhisp over at XDA, but it's close enough to get it working from. This is going to need some work still, but it's OK for now.

Next, and once again mostly for people building, I've also decided to work from/with TheWhisp's kernel sources too. Looks like we all decided to work on similar phones at about the same time, and I was slower on some stuff so I'm going to submit any changes I make to that kernel. The Mini 2 people have their shit together, they've been very helpful.

Finally, and a little more complicated, but also mostly for people trying to build from source, my device tree currently houses some changes to the CyanogenMod code in a slightly unusual way. The reason it's complicated is because it adds an important step to the build guide. This is the android_device_samsung_schS738c/patches/ folder which is used between the Get Prebuilts step and the Device Specific Code section where you apply those patches automatically. Make sure to check the build guide.

If you have any problems, sorry in advance, I'll get to them as quickly as I can. I'm sure it will still need some work.

Upvote 0
Excuse my ignorance. I'm not as experienced as you are. But I went to your site and downloaded both the ota and the unofficial and when I try to flash either one I keep getting error this is for schs738c and it tells me my device is amazing_cdma. I have the centura through net10 and have it rooted with the area51 rom. Don't remember which version. Anything I can do to fix this?

Upvote 0
Don't worry, we all start out beginners. I've had the same issue on one of my test devices and I am working it out, for now what I would recommend is flashing back to the TeamCentura ROM with their recovery. The Amazing and the Centura are close to identical, the Amazing just has more storage and a slightly different partition table. If you get the kernel from the Samsung open source page, you can even see that they use exactly the same kernel configuration. Over the course of the next month or two it'll get more and more stable, this is just the first version. Thanks for posting the specifics of your bug here, I'll keep checking back here to address issues you observe as they arise.

Reactions: tdsj
Upvote 0
TeamCentura is the one available over at Area51(http://androidarea51.com/teamcentura-roms/ requires login), sorry I find myself referring to these things by specific names in my own head and I assume people know what I mean.

But, if you're having that issue, you can grab a copy of the Area51 version of the recovery and flash it in download mode(volume down+power on) with your choice of Odin or Heimdall(http://glassechidna.com.au/heimdall/), then reboot into the recovery and flash the zip from Area51 back over it. For now you should probably log-in and re download it from Area51, I'm not sure how they'd feel about me setting up a mirror for work they seem to want semi-private, but I've been meaning to get in touch with them anyway and if I can I'll make that happen. Sorry again for your issue, I'll make it as temporary as possible for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: tdsj
Upvote 0
Hey dyngar, sorry about the delay. androidforums stopped sending me emails for new replies, and i honestly forgot all about it. I'm getting a Oneplus One soon, so i googled cyanogenmod, and google brought up this link as a page i visited a lot. Im still willing to test on my phone, but seeing as I am getting a new phone soon, i will be able to subject it to anything necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones