• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps I want to develop an app that saves user input

Hello all. I'm pretty new at this and have been playing around with Android Studio. I've gone through some of the tutorials and I've been experimenting with the different tools and options in the program, however I can't seem to figure out or find the answers for what I'm looking for.

What I want to create is an information tracking app of sorts, specifically an app that the user can put in information in different fields and it is saved within the app as a page that they can continually update when needed. It is a reptile tracking app, so they would need to be able to create the page for the specific animal, and choose from different dropdown boxes or give input in different text fields to track feeding, shedding, health, etc. In my head I was thinking this would be fairly simple to accomplish, but now I'm second-guessing myself. I figured if I could just figure out how to code an activity that allows the user to fill out the form (inputting info about the animal) and then being able to save it in the app as an accessible and editable document (of sorts), I'd be able to figure out the rest. I'd really love if I could get pointed in the right direction. If anyone knows of a tutorial or resource that would help me accomplish this, I'd really appreciate it.

This is really a database driven application. Don't think in terms of saving a document. A SQLite database is the perfect way to save and organise this data. You need to design your database schema to hold all the required information about the animals. The database structure will probably reflect the fields you are using to display/collect the information.
There are many web resources. Here's a couple:

https://developer.android.com/training/basics/data-storage/databases.html
http://www.vogella.com/tutorials/AndroidSQLite/article.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones