I want to install Froyo on my Evo, but have no idea where to start...

Last Updated:

1. androidius666

androidius666 Member This Topic's Starter

HELP! I read an article online, i think from engadget or something, that froyo was unofficially out for the evo.

Now I'm completely new to Android, so I have no idea where to start or if its even a stable version at this point.

And Froyo or no Froyo, I want to make my phone faster. Is there any way to remove a bunch of that Sprint crap that comes installed? I'll never use the nascar app. lol

Advertisement
  2. UrbanMuppet

UrbanMuppet Guest

No longer a contributing member. Account pending for deletion.

3. sonicwind

sonicwind Active Member

4. varunb007

varunb007 Member

as far as i know, they have only recently gotten the front camera working on froyo roms. they have not gotten the rear camera to work. if you're fine with that, then check out this rom after you have rooted (check previous posts for methods to root your phone): (Rom) EVOlutionV9 and EVOlutionX2 -updated - xda-developers

i personally would recommend sticking with a 2.1 (eclair) rom until they have worked out the camera issue.

5. chrismmm

chrismmm Well-Known Member

interesting post. sounds like you want to unload the bloatware to see if you get better performance right? are you seeing/experiencing any lag now? if so where at specifically? phone appl? market?

6. Velocd

Velocd Well-Known Member

To the OP

if you do not have any experience Rooting, flashing recoveries, Nandroid backups, Flashing Roms/Radios/Kernals I would suggest you hold off. Get comfortable with ADB, Root/Nand unlock. Then move into flashing ROMS. Research the rom, and try to read a majority of that particular ROMS thread to find the caveats and issues you may run into along the way. This will save you from messing up your phone and spending hours fixing it.

Just my .02

raqball likes this.
  7. gx1400

gx1400 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to Cyanogen to start releasing his nightly builds of CM6 for the Evo. Shouldn't be more than a couple days. My primary issue with most of the Froyo builds (other than being patches together from Sense RUUs) is the camera not working, but he has that going already.

I have 4G right now in KC, but won't when I head back to school in August, so I can go without for his nightly builds for a while.

8. mpike78

mpike78 Well-Known Member

i agree cyanogen has some of the best cooked roms.

9. hitekalex

hitekalex Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to run half-functional Froyo ports with things like camera and 4G not working? Just wait a few months for an official Froyo release for EVO. Froyo doesn't exactly offer some dramatic new functionality over 2.1.

OP - if you just want to remove Sprint bloatware and speed up your phone.. Get the latest Fresh ROM. Yes, it's 2.1 based, but you will actually have a fully working phone (minus all the Sprint's junk).