• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I want to keep my LG motion, but...

I recently moved to Idaho, and took my LG motion 4G with me. Upon arrival I found out there are no Metro PCS stores here, and my phone does not get service. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to remove the SIM card and put a new one in it, to get a new carrier, or if I'll just have to buy a whole new phone? If I do have to buy a new phone, is there a way to transfer absolutely all of my data/documents onto the new one so I don't lose anything?

The Motion uses CDMA for voice calling. The UICC card (it's not a true SIM card) is only for LTE.

There are no other carriers in the United States that use CDMA, besides Verizon, and they aren't going to let you activate a Motion on their network.

Sprint is CDMA also, but I don't believe that they'll let you take a non-Sprint phone to their network either.

I recently moved to Idaho, and took my LG motion 4G with me. Upon arrival I found out there are no Metro PCS stores here, and my phone does not get service. I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to remove the SIM card and put a new one in it, to get a new carrier, or if I'll just have to buy a whole new phone? If I do have to buy a new phone, is there a way to transfer absolutely all of my data/documents onto the new one so I don't lose anything?

To answer your question, yes, you'll probably have to get a new phone. Check what carriers are in you area and find out which one has the best options for you.

Upvote 0
is there a way to transfer absolutely all of my data/documents onto the new one so I don't lose anything?

First, what the others said.
If you have you phone backed up with a Google account most all your data and documents should be in the cloud. And even without MPC service, you should be able to get that stuff up to Google with a wifi connection.

you could also use a usb cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones