I want to r00t it for 2.0General

Last Updated:

1. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

I feel like verizon sold me a great phone with a "crappy" OS on my Eris. And I say crappy with a kind heart to HTC but not verizon. Droid and the verizon line of phones is supposed to be 2.0. With my 1.5 OS, I feel mislead.

If you know how to, please send me some directions. Also, if you don't think this is a good idea, tell me why. I mean, I still have 25 days to return it. :D

Advertisement
  2. michaelkahl

michaelkahl Well-Known Member

First I'd like to say that HTC has confirmed that 2.0 will be coming to the Hero, that does not guarantee the Eris but I see no reason why it wouldn't happen. I'm sure Verizon wants to keep their customers happy and this would be a black eye if they didn't.
    Second, rooting the Eris / Sprint Hero is possible. There are articles posted on theunlockr.com and over at the XDA Forum for CDMA Hero.
    Third, I don't think anyone has a 2.0 ROM yet for the Hero or Eris, this is a situation to wait for HTC and Verizon to get it out the door.
    In all seriousness, 1.5 on the Hero is pretty much 2.0 and then some on vanilla Android. Much of the work HTC did and integration they included has found it's way to the Droid. The only thing really missing is Google Navigation.
    That being said the Eris does not have a crappy OS. They have done amazing things to it and inspired much of Android 1.6 and 2.0. Be patient I'm sure something official will roll out in the coming months.
  3. Fynx

Fynx Well-Known Member

4. andrewzpsu

andrewzpsu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't upgrade just for Google Navigation. It isn't worth it when you're going to lose so much more if you root it.

The Sense UI is basically an addon to the phone that allows you to have 7 desktops instead of 3. Gives you pinch zoom like the iphone, and frankly makes the interface a lot smoother to deal with.

The Android 2.0 OS without the Sense UI does not include those things - which sucks for the Moto Droid users.

I was in your shoes on friday - wondering WTF lol. But it turns out that google nav is the only update that seems worth it - and you can download a free NAV app anyway. Everything else and more is covered by the Sense UI.