• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I Want to remove Carrier IQ with ES File Explorer

I just found out today that my Rooted Pantech Pocket has Carrier IQ installed.

It should be easy to remove Carrier IQ from my Pantech Pocket if I knew what APK to move or delete from the /system/app folder but so far all I've found is youtube videos that don't help or places that want to sell me something.

Any help on removing Carrier IQ from my Pantech Pocket would be appreciated and in the meantime I'll keep looking.

Added 4-17-2013

After messing with things a bit I found 3 files that were related to carrier IQ. I moved them from system/bin and system/lib and now my Pantech Pocket is unusable.

Sometime all I ever get is the same popup over and over that says something quit working and sometimes the screen just goes black and nothing at all happens after that.

I will say this about AT&T's tech support. They were right when they stated Carrier IQ could not be removed from my Pantech Pocket but I wish they had told me what would happen to my phone if I tried.

Added 4-22-2013

I found a way around the black screen and that is to boot the device on battery power and then plug the phone in when the screen goes black. Then I'll get the screen back.

I've tried a few different things myself and found out that I have no way to issue a "Menu" or a "long press" so that limits the ways that I can try to put two files back into system\lib.

Added 4-24-2013 after putting two files back into /system/lib

Turns out since my Pantech Pocket was still rooted I used "ADB shell" then "su" to get root access to my phone.

Then I used the following command to allow me to copy two files back into /system/lib:
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/block/st19 /system

After doing the above my Pantech Pocket works like it used to but it still has Carrier IQ installed. I think I'll try a different way around Carrier IQ or just use a program to prevent Carrier IQ from off loading any of the data it collects without my permission.

Roger

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones