I want to root but there's too many choices!

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I started a thread a week ago about rooting my 2.1 evo. I use exclusively linux ubuntu 10.04. I was told in that thread to wait a day for unrevoked 3 to come back but that was like a week ago. I've been reading about root nonstop for a week now and feel like I'm understanding the different aspects a little better but still have no idea where to start.

I want a full root, I think I want to unlock nand, I want to be able to try custom ROMs and kernels. I want to root sooner than later.

Can anyone show me where to start? Please note, linux user and still running 2.1

Advertisement
  2. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

Since you are on 2.1, I'd recommend using simple root and not mess with unrevoked.

Simple Root

Edit: Doh, just realized you said you are on linux and I'm pretty sure simple root is a windows only app, sorry about that.

3. hortstu

Thanks for trying. I find it hard to believe that all you techies are using windows! Can't anyone point me in the right linux direction?

4. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns! VIP Member

first step is to get adb working. Download and install the Android SDK for linux. the adb executable comes bundled with the SDK and it's the only part you will need. it's in the [android sdk home]/tools folder.

Once the SDK is installed, go to that tools folder and try to run adb:

./adb devices

and see if it can find your phone. Make sure your phone is plugged in via USB, debug is enabled, and the SD card is mounted as charge only.

-edit-
    I only work with linux at work. I have no interest running it for home use. As hated as Microsoft is, the fact remains that most software is written for windows, and I'm not willing to give up that convenience. Case in point: Simpleroot :)

I love linux though. sturdy as hell. exactly what you want for the base of an enterprise-level server.

hortstu likes this.
  5. thekarens

thekarens Well-Known Member

I recommend posting this question over at XDA. I'm sure someone there can assist you.

6. hortstu

Novox, thanks for showing up. I've seen how helpful you are in other threads and I have to say you've already helped me a lot.

I downloaded and extracted the files to my home folder. Was having trouble getting anywhere from there.

I don't have a run option. I have an open option and my OS doesn't know what program to open it with. Are you suggesting that I open a terminal and enter this command? I'm gonna try it before you respond.

Not sure how to mount the sd as charge only, assume that's the screen that pops up giving me 4 options? I'll try that. Didn't realize it was referring to the sd card.

As much as I wish I could simple root just to get it done I really want some understanding of what I'm doing and what's going on. Thanks for your help.

Yeah I just can't bring myself to pay so much for an OS when this is so good, and if I really need something there is wine, I wonder if that would work with simpleroot?

7. hortstu

Thanks thekarens, if this thread doesn't get me there I will do that next. The threads there seem to be more over my head than these.

8. gabbott

gabbott Well-Known Member

hortstu likes this.
  9. hortstu

Charge only, usb plugged in, I made a "my backup" and then copied it to desktop and switched to charge only afterwards so I know I'm connected. debugging is on.

10. hortstu

11. hortstu

if I try this without the "./" here's what I get

12. novox77

Did you make sure you were in the SDK's /tools directory before you ran ./adb devices?

13. hortstu

I'm thinking I just don't have the file in the right place? I have it in home folder> androidsdk> tools> adb.

14. hortstu

Not sure how to navigate there via terminal, I'm very new to the terminal novox.

15. hortstu

I tried this... think it's progress but not sure where to go from here. I NEED A GUI!

16. novox77

lol, ok, here's a quick primer. but i have to go to bed. way too late for me.

cd changes a directory
    ls -al will list all files in a directory.
    ./ in front of a filename will attempt to execute it. will only work with executable files. So ./adb means to run adb.
    pwd shows you where you currently are

Looks like you got adb to run, but it didn't find your evo. I'm not sure what to do at this point TBH. It appears to be a driver issue, but I don't know how/where to get it for linux.

17. hortstu

I think I'm getting there!

Code (Text):
    1. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/adb
    2. Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.26
    4.  -d                            - directs command to the only connected USB device
    5.                                  returns an error if more than one USB device is present.
    6.  -e                            - directs command to the only running emulator.
    7.                                  returns an error if more than one emulator is running.
    8.  -s <serial number>            - directs command to the USB device or emulator with
    9.                                  the given serial number. Overrides ANDROID_SERIAL
    10.                                  environment variable.
    11.  -p <product name or path>     - simple product name like 'sooner', or
    12.                                  a relative/absolute path to a product
    13.                                  out directory like 'out/target/product/sooner'.
    14.                                  If -p is not specified, the ANDROID_PRODUCT_OUT
    15.                                  environment variable is used, which must
    16.                                  be an absolute path.
    17.  devices                       - list all connected devices
    18.  connect <host>[:<port>]       - connect to a device via TCP/IP
    19.                                  Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
    20.  disconnect [<host>[:<port>]]  - disconnect from a TCP/IP device.
    21.                                  Port 5555 is used by default if no port number is specified.
    22.                                  Using this ocmmand with no additional arguments
    23.                                  will disconnect from all connected TCP/IP devices.
    25. device commands:
    26.   adb push <local> <remote>    - copy file/dir to device
    27.   adb pull <remote> [<local>]  - copy file/dir from device
    28.   adb sync [ <directory> ]     - copy host->device only if changed
    29.                                  (-l means list but don't copy)
    30.                                  (see 'adb help all')
    31.   adb shell                    - run remote shell interactively
    32.   adb shell <command>          - run remote shell command
    33.   adb emu <command>            - run emulator console command
    34.   adb logcat [ <filter-spec> ] - View device log
    35.   adb forward <local> <remote> - forward socket connections
    36.                                  forward specs are one of:
    37.                                    tcp:<port>
    38.                                    localabstract:<unix domain socket name>
    39.                                    localreserved:<unix domain socket name>
    40.                                    localfilesystem:<unix domain socket name>
    41.                                    dev:<character device name>
    42.                                    jdwp:<process pid> (remote only)
    43.   adb jdwp                     - list PIDs of processes hosting a JDWP transport
    44.   adb install [-l] [-r] [-s] <file> - push this package file to the device and install it
    45.                                  ('-l' means forward-lock the app)
    46.                                  ('-r' means reinstall the app, keeping its data)
    47.                                  ('-s' means install on SD card instead of internal storage)
    48.   adb uninstall [-k] <package> - remove this app package from the device
    49.                                  ('-k' means keep the data and cache directories)
    50.   adb bugreport                - return all information from the device
    51.                                  that should be included in a bug report.
    53.   adb help                     - show this help message
    54.   adb version                  - show version num
    56. DATAOPTS:
    57.  (no option)                   - don't touch the data partition
    58.   -w                           - wipe the data partition
    59.   -d                           - flash the data partition
    61. scripting:
    62.   adb wait-for-device          - block until device is online
    63.   adb start-server             - ensure that there is a server running
    64.   adb kill-server              - kill the server if it is running
    65.   adb get-state                - prints: offline | bootloader | device
    66.   adb get-serialno             - prints: <serial-number>
    67.   adb status-window            - continuously print device status for a specified device
    68.   adb remount                  - remounts the /system partition on the device read-write
    69.   adb reboot [bootloader|recovery] - reboots the device, optionally into the bootloader or recovery program
    70.   adb reboot-bootloader        - reboots the device into the bootloader
    71.   adb root                     - restarts the adbd daemon with root permissions
    72.   adb usb                      - restarts the adbd daemon listening on USB
    73.   adb tcpip <port>             - restarts the adbd daemon listening on TCP on the specified port
    74. networking:
    75.   adb ppp <tty> [parameters]   - Run PPP over USB.
    76.  Note: you should not automatically start a PPP connection.
    77.  <tty> refers to the tty for PPP stream. Eg. dev:/dev/omap_csmi_tty1
    78.  [parameters] - Eg. defaultroute debug dump local notty usepeerdns
    80. adb sync notes: adb sync [ <directory> ]
    81.   <localdir> can be interpreted in several ways:
    83.   - If <directory> is not specified, both /system and /data partitions will be updated.
    85.   - If it is "system" or "data", only the corresponding partition
    86.     is updated.
    88. environmental variables:
    89.   ADB_TRACE                    - Print debug information. A comma separated list of the following values
    90.                                  1 or all, adb, sockets, packets, rwx, usb, sync, sysdeps, transport, jdwp
    91.   ANDROID_SERIAL               - The serial number to connect to. -s takes priority over this if given.
    92.   ANDROID_LOG_TAGS             - When used with the logcat option, only these debug tags are printed.
    93. mike@mike-laptop:~$

18. hortstu

From what I understand no drivers are required with sdk or adb with linux. I think I'm just stumbling through the dark here. I appreciate your help. Check in on me again when you have time.

Thanks

19. hortstu

I think I got it but now what? Anyone?

Code (Text):
    1. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/./adb devices
    2. List of devices attached
    3. HT06FHL05655    device

20. hortstu

OK so here's where I'm at. Entered this code from the thread suggested by Gabbott

Code (Text):
    2. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/adb shell rm /data/local/rights/mid.txt
    3. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/adb shell ln -s /dev/mtd/mtd1 /data/local/rights/mid.txt
    4. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/adb reboot
    The EVO rebooted! I don't know what I did but I did something.

21. hortstu

ok hopefully I didn't screw anything up and I'm not in a time sensitive situation because I'm going to bed. I'm using this thread as a log of what I've done and I hope that within the next week it can be edited and turned into a roadmap for linux users.

Thanks for any help.

22. hortstu

Allright after this I'm really going to sleep.

I tried getting root with toasts method, started here

Code (Text):
    1. mike@mike-laptop:~$ AndroidSDK/tools/adb push PC36IMG.zip /sdcard
    2. cannot stat 'PC36IMG.zip': No such file or directory
    3. mike@mike-laptop:~$
    Apparently I'm doing something wrong.

First if anyone can tell me what to do so that I don't have to enter "AndroidSDK/tools/" before every command I would appreciate it.

2nd I'm lost. I think maybe the zip file isn't in the right location but I don't know where to put it. I open all downloads to me desktop so I tried the command first with it there. Then I moved it to my the androidSDK folder in my home folder. I actually put it in the same folder as adb, tools. I never extracted it because I figure I'm just pushing it to the SD card and that would make the process take longer.

I hope to see some suggestions here tomorrow. Thanks again.

23. hortstu

So then I thought "well wait a minute this push stuff just moves it over to the sdcard. Why can't I just set my sd card as a drive and then drag and drop it in place?" Maybe I can, maybe I can't. I guess i'll find out.

24. hortstu

Well after dragging the zip file to my sdcard I shutdown and restarted, for some reason I needed to pop the battery out and in to get it to restart while holding power down. Then I ended up at that boot screen. It asked me the questions just like this link said it would and I answered them just like this link told me to.

[TUTORIAL] How To Root The HTC EVO ~ Part-1 \0/ - xda-developers

Dragging worked... I'd still like to know what I was doing wrong with my terminal commands.

25. hortstu

So it is updating/flashing now. I guess I'm going to be root soon.
    rebooting! I think I'm root