I want to Root my Droid!

Last Updated:

1. lowchef

lowchef Member This Topic's Starter

Hello....I've decided to keep my droid and not get the incredible...Im still within my 30 day return, but i feel the droid is and can be a better phone overall.....My droid has 2.1 and basically stock.....Im looking to gain a little more speed out of my droid for right now....Im not looking for some crazy root just one that speeds it up nicely....Can anyone point this newb in the right direction...???

Advertisement
  2. Cuedoc

Cuedoc Member

3. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

There are various threads around that have an easy way to do it as well... well sorta easy as long as you can follow steps

4. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

I don't think this method will work for you since you have the stock 2.1 update loaded on your phone. I think the easiest way is to follow the how to install SPRecovery on 2.1 unrooted phone. Fabolous is the one who started the thread.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

After you install SPRecovery, then you can install any rom that is already pre-rooted for you. That's when the fun begins. :D

5. Fadelight

Fadelight Well-Known Member

The sticky at the very top of the section you created your thread would've been an absolutely perfect place to start.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/45764-guide-s-everything-root-related.html

6. s1ckGhost

s1ckGhost Well-Known Member

This Thread IS Essential to root your phone

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/47349-now-you-can-live-without-fear-bricking.html btw if the link doesnt work.. which is odd that I cant click after posting, just back out and go to the Sticky's and pick the one that says Now You Can Live Without Fear of Bricking -i take no credit for the post-

..trust me. It may take a lil longer, I will give you that.. may take about 15mins of you waiting for your phone to get downgraded BUT RSD LITE is a program that WILL help you incase you EVER Brick your phone. Trust me.. this is how I rooted my phone and I have (believed) bricked my phone, used RSD lite again and recovered my phone from dead zone. Very very useful.

After you downgrade your phone back to 2.0.1 use the video posted up above us all, click into the vid when it plays to be taken to the YouTube site and download the 'update.zip' file in the Video information.

Happy Rooting =]

and as always be extremely careful, re-read all the steps and just really pay attention to the instructions. No one is held responsible for your tinkering with ur phone, but you - but im sure you can do it WOO lol =]

7. DroidSuks

DroidSuks Well-Known Member

Yeah... your definitely going to have to get your hands dirty if you want to "speeds it up nicely"... use the link given above that Fab created... follow the directions to a T. Before you know it you'll be enjoying that heavenly quickness...

8. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member

Once you Root it you can load a Kernel which allows for overclocking. I just rooted my 2.1 OTA a couple days ago, and overclocked it to 800 mhz today. You will be happy once you get it done.
    I used the directions in the link XMR sent you. They work.