• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to root, questions.

kabbie_mcfeely

Android Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2009
MOD's if this isnt the right place for this please feel free to move it to proper thread. Thank you.

I have been reading and reading on how to root my G1, but I have a few questions I did not find answers for.

1. Is there a rooting guide with pictures/screen captures of the whole process ?

2. If for what ever reason, after rooting, I want to go back to my original stock set up, is it as easy as rooting ?

3. I know there are alot of root builds out there. How do I decide which root "build" I should put on my phone ?

4. In all my reading, I did not see (might have just missed it) how to get all the apps I already have back after rooting. I have a couple that are paid apps and dont want to lose the forever. Can I save the apps and put them back on my phone after rooting ?

5. Should I start with a new never used SD card when rooting ?

I think thats it for now.

Thanks in advance for all your help in getting me to root my phone.

Firmware version
Build number
CRC1

I have a magic so I can't answer some of your questions but..
I used the app "my backup". It works extremely well. It backs up all of your apps and data. Everything from contacts to text messages to even when your alarm was set and stuff like that. It's almost like nothing happened. Either way though, paid apps should be locked to your account. They should show up as free for you.

I didn't use a new sd card when I rooted and it worked fine. You just have to make sure it's formatted to fat32.

Hope that helped,
Samuel Maskell

Upvote 0
I have a magic so I can't answer some of your questions but..
I used the app "my backup". It works extremely well. It backs up all of your apps and data. Everything from contacts to text messages to even when your alarm was set and stuff like that. It's almost like nothing happened. Either way though, paid apps should be locked to your account. They should show up as free for you.

I didn't use a new sd card when I rooted and it worked fine. You just have to make sure it's formatted to fat32.

Hope that helped,
Samuel Maskell
Thanks that is some help.

I should back up my stuff anyway.

Upvote 0
MOD's if this isnt the right place for this please feel free to move it to proper thread. Thank you.

I have been reading and reading on how to root my G1, but I have a few questions I did not find answers for.

1. Is there a rooting guide with pictures/screen captures of the whole process ?

2. If for what ever reason, after rooting, I want to go back to my original stock set up, is it as easy as rooting ?

3. I know there are alot of root builds out there. How do I decide which root "build" I should put on my phone ?

4. In all my reading, I did not see (might have just missed it) how to get all the apps I already have back after rooting. I have a couple that are paid apps and dont want to lose the forever. Can I save the apps and put them back on my phone after rooting ?

5. Should I start with a new never used SD card when rooting ?

I think thats it for now.

Thanks in advance for all your help in getting me to root my phone.

Firmware version
Build number
CRC1

1) i dont know of any with pictures off hand but there are many good rooting guides... ( How to Root your G1 - GetYourDroidOn )

2) Yes you most certainly can restore the phone to a stock build...

3) There are a HUGE amount of rooted builds and the best way to find out which build or version to use is simply ask what everyone else is using... myself i use Cyanogen builds ( --1.5 AKA CUPCAKE BUILDS-- - GetYourDroidOn )

4) like the previous poster said mybackup pro would be the way to go as it backs up your sms, settings and apps....

5) You don't need a new sd for rooting no, however it is recommended that it be freshly formated before doing the process... this means you should back up everything from your sd prior to the format...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones