I want to root.....General

Last Updated:

1. DEADSTOCK

DEADSTOCK Member This Topic's Starter

....am confused about which method to use. Is the one-click method the way to go? I have all my apps backed up already, and i assume you won't lose any photos or video right? Can someone explain thier root expiriences?
    Thanks! Great forum btw!

Advertisement
  2. ThorSkaagi

ThorSkaagi Well-Known Member

Yes, the one-click method is the way to go. But backing up your apps won't make any difference because when you flash your custom ROM it will wipe your phone anyways. Don't root until you already have a custom ROM on your SD card. And you won't lose any pictures or videos because they are saved on your SD card, not your phone.

3. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you do a Nandroid backup before you totally wipe everything. I'm not sure if this step is included in the 'one-click" process or not. I read something in another post somewhere to lead me to believe it's not.

Either way, make sure you make a Nandroid backup before wiping your phone. :)

4. xx_bishop_xx

xx_bishop_xx Well-Known Member

5. DEADSTOCK

If i'm understanding this right so far....i should go d/l a custom ROM such as Evil Eris and a Nandroid backup, is that an app? THEN go ahead and root!?

6. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

the backup step is missing from the one-click method. i used this
    method yesterday, and it jumps straight into flashing, no wipe/restore
    step either.

7. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

A nandroid backup is just a system restore of what's currently on your phone. This is important if there's a problem with your Evil Eris ROM (or if you simply want to go back for whatever reason).

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/127861-universal-eris-root-dummies.html

Research a few different rooting methods and choose what's best for you. I liked this way because it gave a series of screen shots. I like baby steps.

Although, the one-step method may be easier (I didn't look at it since I was already rooted when it came out).

8. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I think this needs to be clarified ... if you just root and flash a rom the sd card will not be touched. If your looking to run apps2sd and need to partition your sd card everything will be deleted.

9. DEADSTOCK

Anyone have a link to the nandroid backup and a good ROM to start off with?

10. Haxcid

Haxcid Well-Known Member

Once rooted move yourself on up the All things root section. Great discussions regarding roms and the likes.

I recommend xtrROM for a non senseUI look or xtrSENSE for a stock eris look.

DEADSTOCK likes this.
  11. LED

LED Well-Known Member

Nand backup is done from recovery (not an app). You'll have access to recovery once you've rooted.

12. surf4u2

surf4u2 Member

one click method for sure. I just did it today. Get ASTRO under tools back up all your apps. Then after you flash what ever ROM you want, just download ASTRO from the market, and load all your apps back on. saves you tons of time
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=675957 good to start. im running it now

13. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

A nand backup is something you do, not something you get. And you can't do it (therefore it's a bit hard to understand) until you've rooted. Once rooted and in recovery (another thing that's just bit hard to fully grasp until rooted) you'll see an option to do a nand backup.
    Jump in there, you'll be fine. :)

14. WormDoes

WormDoes Well-Known Member

There's a thread I started called "would you buy an Eris tomorrow?" that has all the info you need to root. I'm a new droid user and I had a lot of questions like yourself. A lot of the kind people of this forum really walked me through and posted every link I could possibly need to root and find a ROM I liked. I still haven't rooted because I haven't even had the phone activated for 24 hours yet. I will be doing it by month's end for sure. This forum is awesome, If that thread doesn't help, ask questions until you feel comfortable

15. LED

LED Well-Known Member

ASTRO won't restore market links, so a better backup tool for root users is TitaniumBackup.

16. mrhomiec

mrhomiec Well-Known Member

read this "Finishing up" section of the dummies tutorial.
    it explains everything needed to know about backing up,
    restoring, flashing, and it has pictures too. :)

17. smacky

smacky Banned

I recommend KaosFroyo. Do they have kernels for the Eris too? It might help you when overclocking.