• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I want to TRY a new ROM..

JSS12

Android Enthusiast
Apr 27, 2010
New York City, NY
(after typing this all out I went back and numbered where my questions are to make it easier for you, and others to reference answers)

Hey all - this is really directed at those who flash new roms daily...

I have been rooted for almost 9 months now and I have always used Virtuous. I have a had a few hiccups along the road but overall I am quite satisfied with everything on my phone as is.

I have heard so many great things about CM7 I am considering giving it a shot.

0) I have nandroid backups of my phone (don't recall if the last one was done through ROM Manager or manually in clockworkmod - does that matter?), I run Titanium Backup (user apps + system data).

1) In the past I have had to wipe my phone and reload my ROM, yet whenever I try to reinstall all my apps from TB it never works just right.
2) In addition, I use Launcher Pro (have a backup of that - I assume I can just restore that?).
3) I also use Folder Organizer, is there a way to save all that info so I don't have to re-sort all my apps into folders after I flash the new ROM?

4) Basically, I want to TEST OUT CM7 maybe for a few days. I'm nervous that if I don't like it will it take me forever to go back to how my phone is now?
4a) Is there a guide for how to recover my current virtuous rom as it is now in like 10 min and not 3 hours?

5) When I do load CM7, can I just restore TB, restore Launcher Pro, (restore folder organizer if possible) so that my phone looks as it does now but on CM7... ? and then I would go into CM and play with all the customization options there...

Conclusion - I want a quick and SAFE way to test CM7 and know that I can come back to my current set up QUICKLY (after several wipes and manually replacing everything, I'm getting good at re-setting up my phone, but I know there has to be a better way)

If I am not backing things up properly please let me know..

Thanks so much!

If this is not possible - I will just stay with virtuous 3.2 and just remain curious about CM7

You can get back to your exact current setup with a nandroid restore if needed so long as it's a current backup.

You shouldn't even have to use a separate LP backup/restore. Titanium is all you really need for apps. Once you load CM7, choose Menu > Batch > Restore all missing apps. However, I strongly recommend weeding through that list and selecting (checkbox) ONLY market apps. Anything else, leave behind no matter how important it might sound, the framework of CM7 will already contain the necessary items that in some cases replace what you are seeing in that list. The one sticking point here are your contacts...if you have them synced with Google, you're good. If not, it may be wise to get them set up as Google contacts before proceeding. That way, no matter the Rom you flash, contacts are never again a concern.

Don't restore system data especially when moving from 2.2 to 2.3, only apps/app data. When you're flashing the Rom, be sure to perform a full wipe of data, cache and Dalvik cache, then load CM7 along with Gapps and reboot system now option in Clockwork and you're up and running.

Upvote 0
You can get back to your exact current setup with a nandroid restore if needed so long as it's a current backup.

You shouldn't even have to use a separate LP backup/restore. Titanium is all you really need for apps. Once you load CM7, choose Menu > Batch > Restore all missing apps. However, I strongly recommend weeding through that list and selecting (checkbox) ONLY market apps. Anything else, leave behind no matter how important it might sound, the framework of CM7 will already contain the necessary items that in some cases replace what you are seeing in that list.

Don't restore system data especially when moving from 2.2 to 2.3, only apps/app data. When you're flashing the Rom, be sure to perform a full wipe of data, cache and Dalvik cache, then load CM7 along with Gapps and reboot system now option in Clockwork and you're up and running.

1) THANKS!
2) does it matter if nandroid is done manually vs in Rom Manager?
3) So TB will set up my homescreens exactly as they appear now?
4) What are Gapps?
5) I have heard there are various ways of doing a full wipe, clear cache and dalvik cache - I'm assuming u recommend doing this manually in CWM - can you just tell me exactly which things I should be selecting in CWM to wipe everything? (I'm not a complete noob but I have had issues in the past where I don't think I did this step correctly - so if you could idiot proof this part I would greatly appreciate it)
6) about how long would you say the whole process should take?
7) thanks again!

Upvote 0
I also read that there may be some battery issues with CM7

people suggested updating their radios - how does one do this safely (I understand a screw up here could brick the phone)??

Anyone know of any good battery saving kernels for CM7?

No battery issues with CM7 im my experience. Don't mess with the radios. the stock ones are fine. The best kernel i have used for great battery life and good performance is invisiblek 28. i always return to this one.

Give CM7 a try and you will love it. Soooo much faster than the sense UI. and more stable. Good luck!

Upvote 0
Personally I like to do everything in CWM so my order once I have a nandroid completed is wipe data, wipe cache partition, wipe Dalvik cache (under advanced menu), then install zip from SD card, choose zip from SD card, locate your Rom and flash it. In this case, locate Gapps next and flash it right after the Rom. Finally, reboot system. That's pretty much the lingo used in the CWM menus. If you want, you can wipe and flash using Rom Manager, I just don't prefer that method as very few people tend to have issues when flashing directly in CWM.

As for the Titanium restore, I recommend you restore only market apps as I mentioned earlier. Green items are system related and when flashing from 2.2 to 2.3, this is not something I wouldnt advise. We are in a little different situation here with the OS change.

Reactions: Eusibius2 and JSS12
Upvote 0
Personally I like to do everything in CWM so my order once I have a nandroid completed is wipe data, wipe cache partition, wipe Dalvik cache (under advanced menu), then install zip from SD card, choose zip from SD card, locate your Rom and flash it. In this case, locate Gapps next and flash it right after the Rom. Finally, reboot system. That's pretty much the lingo used in the CWM menus. If you want, you can wipe and flash using Rom Manager, I just don't prefer that method as very few people tend to have issues when flashing directly in CWM.

As for the Titanium restore, I recommend you restore only market apps as I mentioned earlier. Green items are system related and when flashing from 2.2 to 2.3, this is not something I wouldnt advise. We are in a little different situation here with the OS change.

to restore only the market apps... can I do a batch restore? What is the TB lingo to accomplish this?

Thanks IOWABOWTECH!

Upvote 0
I mentioned the exact method I use in post #2 of this thread. Normally weeding stuff out isn't necessary, its only because you're jumping OS's here. Its easy to recognize which are market apps. Bring only those along for the ride. That's my theory of how to handle moving across OS changes and it has served me well. Up to you how you want to handle the transition.

Reactions: JSS12
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones