• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I washed my Galaxy S.

bonksnp

Lurker
May 4, 2011
Hello. I'm new to this forum and hoping I can get some help with a unique situation.

Last week my wife washed my phone. The battery was completely dead and went through the whole wash. I found it before it went in the dryer and took it apart as much as I could. Let it dry out all day, then took a blow dryer to it for about 15-20 minutes. I plugged it in to charge and the battery charging icon came up and it appeared to be charging. After a couple hours I took it off and everything worked fine.

A Couple days later I noticed it shutting off randomly. I thought this was due to the phone going into "power save" mode, but then it started shutting off in the middle of calls. I did a test all day one day where I left the phone plugged in all day, during usage, etc. and had no problems at all. So I figured my battery was shot. I went and bought a new one a few days ago with the charger that just charges the battery (dock). So I let the new battery charge up for a couple hours (til the light on the dock was green) and tried it out. It worked perfectly and the phone stayed on all day. I thought my problems were over.

Then yesterday I took my phone out and it was off again I turned it back on and just as before it seems like each time it goes into "power save mode" it turns itself off. So as it is right now, the phone works fine unless it goes into power save mode. I have the screen set to lock out after 30 minutes (longest I can choose) and it stays on the whole time. But it seems like if I let it go past 30 minutes, it turns off.

I'm pretty sure this is a hardware issue, but I'd like to know if anyone has any suggestions that might help my phone avoid power saving mode? Or any suggestions at all really. I know that sounds weird, but I'm really hoping to salvage this phone (at least until I'm eligible for an upgrade in November :p) since it is still fully functional, just has a power issue.

Sometimes even when you "dry" out a washed phone, some water still remains. Maybe try opening the unit (no warranty anyway) (also there is a video on Youtube on how to open the Galaxy S) and putting it into white rice for a day or two. Close the container you put the rice and the phone into (you only want the moisture in the phone to be absorbed by the rice). It might help and is a cheap remedy.

- Jeff

Upvote 0
You probably should have left it longer before turning on the phone, i've done this a few times however not with anything as costly as the Galaxy S, from my experience after drying it and using a hair dryer leave in a dry place for a day or two, it takes a while to dry out fully and it doesnt take much water to damage the phone.

You could try a new battery, I doubt you could return it as they usually know if theres been any water damage and they don't cover that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones