• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i will go crazy with Galaxy Ace Internal Memory

engamm

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
i have Samsung Galaxy Ace from 5 Months & always have a " low internal memory " i tried many ways :
1- i rooted the device & installed apps2sd
2- tryed *#9900# to copy the dump files to sd
3- i upgraded to Gingerbrid 2.3 from 1 week .
but always have the same massage
plzz help me i gave up from that device

note :
the apps which installed now in internal memory is (Maps 10.5 MB -Market 7.43 MB - Netqin security 4.29 MB - Gmail 3.11 mb - Slide me market 2.84 mb - flash light 2.0 mb - superuser 1.11 mb) all that apps is about 35 MB from 180 MB total internal memory
plz help me :mad:

Reactions: ayush29k
i have Samsung Galaxy Ace from 5 Months & always have a " low internal memory " i tried many ways :
1- i rooted the device & installed apps2sd
2- tryed *#9900# to copy the dump files to sd
3- i upgraded to Gingerbrid 2.3 from 1 week .
but always have the same massage
plzz help me i gave up from that device

note :
the apps which installed now in internal memory is (Maps 10.5 MB -Market 7.43 MB - Netqin security 4.29 MB - Gmail 3.11 mb - Slide me market 2.84 mb - flash light 2.0 mb - superuser 1.11 mb) all that apps is about 35 MB from 180 MB total internal memory
plz help me :mad:

ok dude follow these steps to have an extra 30mb from your list,

gmaps, 10mb internal is the new update .... mosy of us have gone to settings and uninstalled the gmaps update...it works perfectly (even better then the update) and you can move gmaps to sdcard

gmail. - do you use it? if you use the email app and gmail only gets messages you dont really need like from youtube.....delete it its useless

netqin security. - unless your dopey enough to download a app with 0 reviews and named "sexy girls time" you shouldnt really get any malware.... for average users a anti-virus is just a space and ram waster.

slideme market?....why? [deleted by mod]

the flashlight.....we all keep lol i have that 2mb on my internal mem right too but its a usefull app so i kept it,

use titanium backup to remove unused stock apps like bejeweled and that shitty breakout game

:D:D

Upvote 0
I FOUND THE SOLUTION TODAY AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT AT ALL!!!!

1 - Root the phone
2 - Install Root Explorer or any application that can enables you to see and modify root files.
3 - Go to /data/log
4 - Select and delete all files
5 - Go to /cache
6 - Select and delete all .apk files

Using this method, I deleted 80MB of garbage I didn't know where it was missing :D

Every time an app crashes, Gingerbread creates an error log file that's about 250 kB and stores it in the internal memory. Moreover, every time a download fails in the android market, the corrupted .apk file is stored in the internal memory.

Of course, to save more place, move all apps to the SD, including the ones that are stated as "non-movable" by app2sd (methods discussed in other topics).

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
I FOUND THE SOLUTION TODAY AND I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT AT ALL!!!!

1 - Root the phone
2 - Install Root Explorer or any application that can enables you to see and modify root files.
3 - Go to /data/log
5 - Go to /cache

Using this method, I deleted 80MB of garbage I didn't know where it was missing :D

Every time an app crashes, Gingerbread creates an error log file that's about 250 kB and stores it in the internal memory. Moreover, every time a download fails in the android market, the corrupted .apk file is stored in the internal memory.

Of course, to save more place, move all apps to the SD, including the ones that are stated as "non-movable" by app2sd (methods discussed in other topics).

Good Luck!!

Hi,

Can I delete these files you've said in 3-5 sections without rooting??

Upvote 0
Been trying to solve this one for a long time and nothing worked... the "code" tip released a couple of Mb, cleaning caches and logs also, but no matter what, the phone was full again in no time. Well, there IS a solution. first do everything specified in this thread. It will probably release some space, if not much. On my wife's Ace it released like 4Mb, on my friends' exactly 0. :) Here's what to do:

* root your phone. It is rather easy to root Galaxy Ace. Just copy the "root.zip" (and "unroot.zip" if you plan on unrooting) to your SD card, boot in system recovery and update from update.zip

* then install program called "Link2SD". No, this is NOT the same as all other apps that move programs to SD card. link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en

* Now, you have to reformat your SD card. The instructions are given in description of L2SD, but let's repeat here:

** get program Minitool and install
** backup your SD card to computer
** run Minitool and make 2 partitions - both should be primary.
** first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage
** The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.. Should be smaller, i.e. 512Mb-1Gb should probably be enough.
** Some phones don't support ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones have to use FAT32

* Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card and makes OS mounts it at boot time

Then you can move your apps to this 2nd partition. You have been able to achieve similar thing by moving apps to SD card from android, but not all apps, i.e. some just didn't support this, and all apps with widgets didn't work. With this method, all apps work.

But more important, you can also move updated apps from internal memory to the system, so they don't have to be on your phone twice.

I.e.: you phone comes with Google Maps, GMail, Play and several other apps. I mention these 3 because they occupy pretty much space. These apps are in system partition. When you update these apps, the original remains on your system and the app is installed again on your internal memory, thus occupying more space because it is there twice! With Link2SD you can replace apps in your system with the updated ones, thus saving a lot of internal storage!

I managed to free a total of 70Mb on my wife's Ace with this by moving ALL apps to SD card and moving updated apps to the system.... OK, when the cache filled again, it took like 20-25 Mb, so now there are like 40-50Mb free, but remember - I created 1Gb partition on SD so there's a lot of space for any new apps there!!! You wouldn't have to use the internal memory for apps anymore :)

Hope this helps someone.

cheers,
D.

Upvote 0
I am using Samsung Ace with 2.3.6 and rooted my phone.
I'm able to move the apps to memory card but not able to change the default download app to the memory card as the option in Super user app

Please help me with this.

I'll try root exlorer and check if steps below works

1 - Root the phone
3 - Go to /data/log
5 - Go to /cache

Will reply soon
Waiting for reply from you guys

Upvote 0
None of these methods will get you more than 20mb free, and that too is temporary, it'll fill up again soon.
What you need is an app2sd-ext method, you need to make an ext partition on your sd card and then the method/app/script will move all your internal memory apps and their data to that ext partition, making your real internal memory completely empty.
There are many methods for that depending on the rom you are using, like the one stated above Link2SD, S2E, Dt-App2Sd or Amarullz script.

Clearing dump files, logs and cache is just a minor temporary solution.

I am currently using Amarullz script and i have a total of 600mb internal memory, filled it with over 300mb of apps all stored on the phone memory only. Still have another 300mb to fill before seeing that dreaded low memory warning.

Upvote 0
Been trying to solve this one for a long time and nothing worked... the "code" tip released a couple of Mb, cleaning caches and logs also, but no matter what, the phone was full again in no time. Well, there IS a solution. first do everything specified in this thread. It will probably release some space, if not much. On my wife's Ace it released like 4Mb, on my friends' exactly 0. :) Here's what to do:

* root your phone. It is rather easy to root Galaxy Ace. Just copy the "root.zip" (and "unroot.zip" if you plan on unrooting) to your SD card, boot in system recovery and update from update.zip

* then install program called "Link2SD". No, this is NOT the same as all other apps that move programs to SD card. link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.buak.Link2SD&hl=en

* Now, you have to reformat your SD card. The instructions are given in description of L2SD, but let's repeat here:

** get program Minitool and install
** backup your SD card to computer
** run Minitool and make 2 partitions - both should be primary.
** first FAT partition is your standard SD card storage
** The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32.. Should be smaller, i.e. 512Mb-1Gb should probably be enough.
** Some phones don't support ext2, ext3 or ext4 file system and you may get mount errors like "no such device", "invalid argument". These phones have to use FAT32

* Link2SD mounts the second partition of your SD card and makes OS mounts it at boot time

Then you can move your apps to this 2nd partition. You have been able to achieve similar thing by moving apps to SD card from android, but not all apps, i.e. some just didn't support this, and all apps with widgets didn't work. With this method, all apps work.

But more important, you can also move updated apps from internal memory to the system, so they don't have to be on your phone twice.

I.e.: you phone comes with Google Maps, GMail, Play and several other apps. I mention these 3 because they occupy pretty much space. These apps are in system partition. When you update these apps, the original remains on your system and the app is installed again on your internal memory, thus occupying more space because it is there twice! With Link2SD you can replace apps in your system with the updated ones, thus saving a lot of internal storage!

I managed to free a total of 70Mb on my wife's Ace with this by moving ALL apps to SD card and moving updated apps to the system.... OK, when the cache filled again, it took like 20-25 Mb, so now there are like 40-50Mb free, but remember - I created 1Gb partition on SD so there's a lot of space for any new apps there!!! You wouldn't have to use the internal memory for apps anymore :)

Hope this helps someone.

cheers,
D.

Hi, I have a 16 gb sd card if I make the first partition FAT it would only be 4gb and I want to make it at least 12 o 13 gb. Can I use another format that will work? There are the following formats available: FAT, FAT32, NTfS, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, unformatted and Linux Swap.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi, I have a 16 gb sd card if I make the first partition FAT it would only be 4gb and I want to make it at least 12 o 13 gb. Can I use another format that will work? There are the following formats available: FAT, FAT32, NTfS, EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, unformatted and Linux Swap.

Thanks!

What I did is that instead of making a FAT partition I made it FAT32 for the "sd card" and then for the phone partition I first made it FAT32 also, but the phone just wasn't working right, it crashed every time I downloaded a new app or even in stand by; after a while all the apps on the phone partition disappeared...

So, I went back to minitool and reformatted the phone partition and made it ext2 and it's now working great! even though this is a great advantage since now I have a lot of heavy apps I still have little memory, about 30 Mb and I linked almost everything except Play Store. But I don't have any problem with that as long as I can still recieve messages and the phone works fine.

This worked for me, I live in mexico, I don't know if there's a difference and that's why it does work for me with ext2.

Upvote 0
What I did is that instead of making a FAT partition I made it FAT32 for the "sd card" and then for the phone partition I first made it FAT32 also, but the phone just wasn't working right, it crashed every time I downloaded a new app or even in stand by; after a while all the apps on the phone partition disappeared...

So, I went back to minitool and reformatted the phone partition and made it ext2 and it's now working great! even though this is a great advantage since now I have a lot of heavy apps I still have little memory, about 30 Mb and I linked almost everything except Play Store. But I don't have any problem with that as long as I can still recieve messages and the phone works fine.

This worked for me, I live in mexico, I don't know if there's a difference and that's why it does work for me with ext2.

You can use a bigger partition if you are still having memory problem, that is if the sd card is big enough to do that, and i would suggest you make an ext4 partition instead of ext2, its supposed to be faster, it would decrease lag in the apps and improve performance.

Upvote 0
If I reformatt the phone partition will the data in it disappear? Thanks!!

you mean the sd card right?
Ya sure, if you reformat the partition, all data will be lost. You can either back it up on a PC or make a nandroid backup, it backs up ext partition on the card too.
Just restore it after reformatting the partition.

Reactions: wwolfg
Upvote 0
I dun find any app called root explorer In market....I only saw an app called explorer and installed it, I saw data and all the steps u talked about but for example when I click on data .....I see this folder is protected and not accessible from normal file managers...etc, and there is a button "download root explorer" I selected it but also the app doesn't exist :( plz help ? My phone is rooted!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones