• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] i535pp wont boot into recovery mode

Hi i have a Samsung Galaxy s3 i535pp. it will boot into every thing(including the ROM) but recovery. when you hold down vol up + home + power it boots up then gives me the yellow triangle of death and says "kernel secure: recovery". i'v tried to flash the recovery to stock but Odin stopped me and said the same thing.
I don't Know what to do HELP!

im running the stock recovery i think i got this after be stupid while playing with my root probably did it while trying to custom ROM my phone but im sure that im running the original ROM. also when i boot it pulls up the Samsung logo with a log logo and CUSTOM under it.

oh and i found this forum post on the same problem accept it dosn't tell me a clear way to fix it

http://androidforums.com/threads/solved-root-bootloader-recovery-issues.781820/

Upvote 0
What android version are you on and what root method did you use?
Also, did you use ODIN to flash a rom?
Sorry for all the questions, but I thought you could only flash custom roms via a custom recovery? I used to have the Verizon S3 but I've not run across the issue you are describing with the "kernel secure: recovery" bit:)

Not totally familiar with the prepaid version for Verizon S3.

Upvote 0
im running 4.3 JB and no i did not use ODIN. ok this is what i did i ran ROM tool box pro and found a ROM downloaded it and installed it. it then asked me to reboot i then got the triangle again. then i just rebooted and every thing was fine but recovery. also as i said it wont let me flash the recovery in ODIN it gives me "kernel secure: recovery

Upvote 0
Oh, I see. I think lol :)

Honestly, I'm not sure how RomToolBox Pro managed to install a rom without a custom recovery, and your bootloader being locked. (Verizon's bootloader got locked with the 4.3 update). :thinking:

It's been quite a while since my S3, and I've not been keeping up on it. So, perhaps someone who knows more than I do will come along and offer some advice.

In the meantime, how did you root it? Just curious as to the method you used is all. ;)

Upvote 0
I saw that thread, and now I remember that thread:) I believe he had an unlocked bootloader. With an unlocked bootloader, you could use TWRP or CWM as the custom recovery flashed via ODIN.
4.3 locked the bootloader and are limited to the safestrap recovery.
I have not worked with Safestrap, nor am I familiar with it but, it may work for you.
Just don't hit me if it doesn't :eek: :D
See some of the notes in this sticky:
http://androidforums.com/threads/go...-roms-kernels-unroot-sofbricks-post-2.681397/

Upvote 0
OK im back. now will not being able to update to kitkat cause me to have problems with getting a plan. and is there any way to stop the Verizon pop ups asking me to update
Not being able to (possibly) update to KK won't affect your ability to get the device on a plan.
JB is just fine.
As far as the popups bugging you? Since you are rooted, there is a file somewhere that can be renamed I believe, that will stop that. I'd have to commandeer my old device from my son and look in the file systems to see what it's named. :)

Upvote 0
Well im back and i found the fix! so the first thing to do is to back up everything you have. next you install a program on your computer called Samsung kies. you can then use kies to update your firmware which intern unbricked my recovery. to anyone who soft-bricked their samsung S3. found this fix when i was playing with kies since ODIN refused to puch any PDA to my moms phone (found out her Nand was dead so it was a hardware issue)

I was also able to again root my unbricked device using towl root ;)

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Well im back and i found the fix! so the first thing to do is to back up everything you have. next you install a program on your computer called Samsung kies. you can then use kies to update your firmware which intern unbricked my recovery. to anyone who soft-bricked their samsung S3. found this fix when i was playing with kies since ODIN refused to puch any PDA to my moms phone (found out her Nand was dead so it was a hardware issue)

I was also able to again root my unbricked device using towl root ;)
Noice! :)
I completely forgot about this thread until I got notified about a reply to it! :)
Thanks for the update!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones