• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I5700 Galaxy Spica/lite officially gets Android 2.1

what i want to no is how do we update if its coming from t mobile

It won't be coming from T Mobile - just T Mobile approve the build in country as they are (or were) the only supplier in the UK of the Galaxy Portal - 3 will be shipping 2.1 on their Galaxy Portals - so they will have approved the build prior to release. You would probably find a small team in T Mobile towers with a bunch of T Mobile handsets of all sorts with new builds coming in that they have to do acceptance tests on (for obvious reasons) and go through a test plan before approving firmwares on T Mobile handsets. Luckily the Galaxy Portal on T Mobile is not littered with T Mobile apps, tweaks and banding (unlike some Motorola Android handsets for example) so in theory the acceptance tests will be easier.

NPS will be the only upgrade method. If you take a look at other handsets from other Android mobile phone manufacturers (like the droid) an option exists in the settings to upgrade from an image you can copy to the SD card. In their wisdom Samsung did't include this option - but choose to stick to NPS - bad decision - but one we have to put up with or use Odin.

I would like to know if NPS is useful after upgrade to 2.1 - or still just a one trick pony (upgrading firmware).

Cheers

Upvote 0
Are all the features there with the latest version? This is my only worry. Some people reported the phone not stroring mobile internet settings, no market place etc. Is that all solved?

Mine works absolutely perfectly. Just backed-up APN settings before flashing and restored after. Marketplace works as expected.

Stuff I can now do in 2.1:

Use Google navigation.
Watch iPlayer (Beebplayer).
Use voice recognition.

Other stuff too. Works really, really well. Would probably switch to a non-Pantheon home when one based on the 'F' firmware is made since (as I understand it) Pantheon is the cause of much of the sluggishness of the i5700's performance...

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I just installed the upgrade on my bought free i5700 in Ireland using Magnet as ISP and NPC 1.5.

My review is... do it any other way. It took me 2 hours to do one (I still have to do my wife's) and 4 retries meaning 4 full downloads of the firmware software. And a couple of "what the hell am I suppose to do now" moments due to not everything working as the messages said (take into account that I would consider myself anything but a newbie).

Seriously bad software this NPC. I'm wondering if going through the same process for the second one or go the ODIN way.

Well I just wanted to know that it's available in ROI so it shouldn't take long to be available in UK.

Regards

I'm living in Ireland as well my phone is still 1.5;i downloaded nps 1.5 and it says my phone is up to date...how did you get 2.1?

Upvote 0
Mine works absolutely perfectly. Just backed-up APN settings before flashing and restored after. Marketplace works as expected.

Stuff I can now do in 2.1:

Use Google navigation.
Watch iPlayer (Beebplayer).
Use voice recognition.

Other stuff too. Works really, really well. Would probably switch to a non-Pantheon home when one based on the 'F' firmware is made since (as I understand it) Pantheon is the cause of much of the sluggishness of the i5700's performance...

Okay I installed it.. no hiccups.. at all! Followed the guide from samsunf firmwares .. only difference being that download mode is got by pressing camera okay and volume not power okay and volume..

Hmm didn't back up apn but no probs to do it again.. thought it didnt have many homescreens then read.. menu button + edit!

Upvote 0
just got back from updating the phone to 2.1 at Samsung Service centre. Spent around 2.5 hours there.

So far, the phone didn't seem to lag as much as I thought it would, or maybe it's cos I haven't reinstalled all my software.

Contacts list seems better, and I can now create a "call-direct" shortcut for my contacts on the homepage :) (via widget). Funny thing though, there used to be an option for "sms" (number) under contact but I can't find it?

Market seems to be working fine so far.

Feel kinda sad tho, when I backed up my apps via Astro, I thought even data in app will be backed up, but no, it doesn't.

Upvote 0
3 - Help & Support - About my mobile - Phone Support

Just checking the 3 UK site for info on version running on 3's I5700 and it is:

Software version Boot Loader: I570EXXJA1_CL132638_Bootloader
Phone: I570EXXJC1_Phone
PDA: I570EXXJCD_CL194739_PDA

I570EXXJC1 is the newest firmware on Samsung Firmwares.

Quite amusing that 3 has the old 1.5 manual to download from the site but 2.1 on the device :-D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones