I7500 some questions about custom rom and connectivity

Last Updated:

1. rajm11

rajm11 Member This Topic's Starter

Hello all,
    I am new to this forum but reading a little beforehand, I just have some questions

1] when I want to install a custom rom: DO i have to root my phone?
    2] I have still 1.5 and can I suddenly go to 2.2?
    3] do I have install original firmware 1.6 or can I just jump from 1.5 to 2.1 or 2.2
    4] is there a idiots guide to tethering Samsung galaxy i7500 to PC using USB cable?
    5] where can i get STOCk eclair 2.1?

may be you people have answered these question manyier times but please have mercy on first timer

Advertisement
  2. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

1) Yes.
    2) Yes, have a search for GAOSP, community built 2.2 ROM.
    3) You can go straight from 1.5 to whatever version is available for the phone. There are official 1.6 roms, but they are buggy. Galaxo 1.6.3.4 is a custom rom based on 1.6 but much improved.
    4) You can use Proxoid to "tether" via USB cable.
    5) You can't, samsung only release 1.6 in selected countries. GAOSP is 2.2, but still rather buggy for most users.

I'd recommend reading up on GAOSP and the problems with it currently. Drakaz is the main developer for the ROM and the forum on his site has the most info on this. drakaz

I'd personally recommend to use Galaxo 1.6.3.4 for now, it's only based on 1.6 but very stable.

3. Teknik

Teknik Well-Known Member

Dont think you have to root your phone to flash a new rom, you just need root if you are going to use drakaz's app to do the flashing.
    The first time i flashed my phone i used the usb cable and the android bits you get from the google website.
    There are several FAQs on how to flash your phone for the first time.