IBM + Oracle = Death for Android?

Last Updated:

1. flyte

flyte Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. j0hnh0lmes

j0hnh0lmes Well-Known Member

Google will find a way around it regardless of what anyone does. Google has so many devs they could come up with a new system entirely if they wanted to.

3. talvi

talvi Well-Known Member

This is really a problem for their Dalvik isn't it?

Android (operating system) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But, if this is all correct (and the article is something else?) then Google have extremely deep pockets and need to pay their dues. Ethical scruples apply even in youthful enthusiasm. Just using muscle is bad karma everywhere. Or have I misunderstood?

4. j0hnh0lmes

j0hnh0lmes Well-Known Member

No I think you're right on that count. But either way, do you really think that google couldn't just make something else? Seriously they have been around less than Microsucks and already make a better OS.

5. talvi

talvi Well-Known Member

This is taken from Wikipedia (in the references):-

"This means that any drivers written for Android hardware platforms, cannot get merged into the main kernel tree because they have dependencies on code that only lives in Google's kernel tree, causing it to fail to build in the kernel.org tree. Because of this, Google has now prevented a large chunk of hardware drivers and platform code from ever getting merged into the main kernel tree. Effectively creating a kernel branch that a number of different vendors are now relying on.(...) But now they are stuck. Companies with Android-specific platform and drivers cannot contribute upstream, which causes these companies a much larger maintenance and development cycle.''
    ~~ Znet (What is Android? | Android Developers )

I think "better" is less of an issue than "open". With "open", different hardware platforms can communicate many times more effectively, apps can be written with many times less effort and be truly portable, software can evolve on an open playing field knowijg the rules and being able to plan for the future. The savings to society (you and me and the planet) are humungous. However ... Google is a bu$ine$$ and therefore plays for the opposite side! :)