• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) Updates

determined-fumanchu-computer-stare-l_zpsd855223b.jpg

Upvote 0
I asked HTC this exact question and the answer I received was the following:

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support Center!

We understand it is important to have a phone that meets your needs; we will do our best to provide a solution.

In regards on your question about the update ICS for the HTC Incredible 2, please read the information below:

HTC no longer announces dates for release of software due to the nature of the software development process. At any point in the software development cycle a situation may be encountered that requires anything from some minor additional rework, to complete rewrites of the software base. Only after the final acceptance testing has been successfully completed will HTC release software. The normal time period between the final acceptance testing and release of software is about a week and often shorter than that.

I completely understand this update is really important for you [insert name], and we thank you so much for your support and patience with this matter, we really appreciate customers like you.

Please stay tuned for further updates, at this website below:

•About HTC

This doesn't guarantee a release, but at least it gives us hope. HTC's website says nothing under 512MB for memory will receive the ICS update. Since Incredible 2 has 768MB, it should be clear sailing until ICS arrives. There's hope yet!

Upvote 0
I thought so too until my wife got the HTC Droid DNA. It's an impressive phone. Her battery life blows my SGS3's away.

I'm pretty strongly attracted to that one myself. Unfortunately, my upgrade date isn't until July. I have 2 other lines that are eligible for upgrade and, IF I want to buy from Verizon, I can move the upgrade and get it now. Unfortunately, Verizon wants twice as much as Amazon and other places and I can't move the upgrade from one line to another if I buy from somewhere other than Verizon. What a total crock.

Upvote 0
It's not HTC's fault in my opinion...the phone is capable of running it. This just is verizon doing what they do best - hoping everyone upgrades, intentional delay.

If enough people complain, they might do something. The bionic finally got jelly bean, which would be fine, it looks basically the same as ICS.

Lots of people have complained. It doesn't matter.

Upvote 0
I'm due for an upgrade right now. I visited a VZW store, and the sales rep tried to push an HTC DNA on me. The DNA is a nice phone, but it's already 6 months old. I'm not the kind of person who needs to have the "latest and greatest" device, but I would like to get something that I know will be supported and reasonably up-to-date for the next two years (the life of my contract with VZW).
I already got burned by VZW with the Dinc2 as far as OS upgrades go, and I told the sales rep that. it ain't happening again.

Upvote 0
I'm due for an upgrade right now. I visited a VZW store, and the sales rep tried to push an HTC DNA on me. The DNA is a nice phone, but it's already 6 months old. I'm not the kind of person who needs to have the "latest and greatest" device, but I would like to get something that I know will be supported and reasonably up-to-date for the next two years (the life of my contract with VZW).
I already got burned by VZW with the Dinc2 as far as OS upgrades go, and I told the sales rep that. it ain't happening again.

exactly my thoughts

Upvote 0
I suppose I'll just stick with this (not so) Incredible 2 a little while longer. Or at least until I change my mind about StraightTalk... if I ever change my mind. HTC is shooting themselves in the foot with the lack of support. I think they focus too much on the next crop of customers instead of the ones that already supported them buy purchasing their product, and that is killing them. If my phone does eventually get ICS, I would consider going HTC again in the future. If it doesn't, HTC is dead to me.

Upvote 0
The Incredible 4G was rumored to be getting JB but that hasn't happened either. HTC is losing my trust.

HTC is "losing" your trust? As in, you still have some trust in HTC?

You're a trusting person, much more so than me. I've had two DINC2's in the past two years (charging port broke and got a referb). On top of never getting a meaningful software upgrade, both phones have had the following problems:

About half the apps it asks me if I want to pick a default/primary for it won't remember. Mostly annoying is neither phone would remember that I use Google Navigation, not the Verizon program.

Neither phone would be recognized by the HTC software I installed on my laptop, so rooting either phone wasn't possible. I did end up on the phone with HTC support and went through everything they could think of. The call ended with a vague promise of an engineer looking into things and getting back to me, which never happened.

It's 50/50 on when I reboot my phone if it will recognize the SD card... so sometimes it reboots to the stock homescreen/app setup with no access to the SD card. The only solution is to reboot again and sometimes a third time until it recognizes the SD card and I have access to all my apps again.

I know the software upgrade issue is at least partially Verizon's fault. Which is my my next phone is going to be the Nexus 4 probably on TMobile. My contract ends July 8th, so I'll be switching after that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones