• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ice Cream Sandwich NOT coming to d3

Verizon doesn't like the Droid3 because its 3G radio is hackable in such a way that Verizon cannot force D3 users to pay for their unlimited data twicce, is one way of looking at this.

I really doubt that this is a Verizon-driven decision, since HTC has already announced that the DInc2 will get ICS (and it has a sort-of unlockable bootloader.) I really think that Motorola has to balance the amount of effort for a build like this against a realization that it generates zero revenue for the effort. It may also be that the Moto customizations were tested on 512 MB RAM devices and shown to be too fat to work well. However, I'd think it's more that Motorola would rather their engineers work on future and current products that still generate revenue rather than making a massive effort to support a now-legacy device.

Upvote 0
now i'm having happy news for motorola droid 3:
How to Upgrade Motorola Droid 3 to Android 4.0 ICS Using CyanogenMod 9
Look at these link to root

Android Rooting: How to Upgrade Motorola Droid 3 to Android 4.0 ICS Using CyanogenMod 9

If you can live with things not working you can get ICS. I'd rather stick with Steel Droid than go to ICS with things like the camera not working!

"Since this is the alpha version of CyanogenMod 9 for Motorola Droid 3, there are some features that are not working properly yet and some don

Upvote 0
Has anyone here actually run a 4.0 ROM? I've used CM9, AOKP, Gummy (Team Liberty and Kejar), as well as another I'm sure I've forgotten. They're all basically the same, except for some customize-ability. :p None have working video recording, but both can take photos with both the back and FF cameras. None have working Adobe Flash support. There are some wacky unsolved bluetooth issues in them all as well.

Droid 3 4.0.x ROM Comparisons and Other Assorted Goodies [UPDATED w/ ratings] - xda-developers

Upvote 0
Um, am I reading this correctly?

Do we now have a relatively stable and useful version of Ice Cream Sandwich now running on the Droid 3 ?

[ROM] [RELEASE] Steel Droid: 5.6 - Ice Cream Sandwich - 6-8-2012

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this. I'm not a power user (I've certainly never installed a custom ROM) but this does look useful.

Robert

None of the ICS ROMs are feature-complete. Open your link again and read the part in red under *KNOWN BUGS* in the first post. If you can live with them, then perhaps you're all set with ICS.

Upvote 0
Well as we all have probably read by now, ICS is a confirmed kill for the D3. This concludes me ever buying a non-Nexus phone again unless it has an unlocked bootloader.

Though an official OTA-style ICS or Jellybean is never gonna happen on the Droid3, Hashcode and Jon have made just this month incredible progress on a kexec-style locked bootloader overwrite that might eventually (maybe soon, depending on TI and also Hashcode's travel requirements) yield a usable ICS or JellyBean for the Droid3.

I mean, if he could do it already on the Kindle Fire, its maybe possible for the Droid3 as well, though the extra hardware is quite a challenge.

Meanwhile, my free Galaxy Nexus arrived today, finally, so I got to decide whether to swap out the D3 for the Nexus phone now, or hold off a bit while the Nexus charges. What to do...?

Glenn

Upvote 0
Though an official OTA-style ICS or Jellybean is never gonna happen on the Droid3, Hashcode and Jon have made just this month incredible progress on a kexec-style locked bootloader overwrite that might eventually (maybe soon, depending on TI and also Hashcode's travel requirements) yield a usable ICS or JellyBean for the Droid3.

Glenn

Hashcode wrote why we will never see a good ICS rom for the D3 despite this bootloader hack.

Rule of thumb for future devices:

1) Only buy if it has an unlocked bootloader (aka Nexus or other device only AFTER it has been provided an unlock)

2) Like a PC, buy with as much ram as you can get (the S3 dev edition sounds great right about now with 2GB)

3) Don't be an early adopter (wait and see how the reviews fare and how big of a hit it is because a big hit = lots of dev love)

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0
Hashcode wrote why we will never see a good ICS rom for the D3 despite this bootloader hack.

Ah....well....looks like he has changed his mind.

Hash-of-Codes

"How to Eat a Hat (Droid 3 developments) …"

My Galaxy Nexus finally came in a few days ago, but I am still running the Droid3 for some reason. Still rooted 6.890 stock with CWM recovery. I need to figure out how to get SafeStrap2 installed on it instead.

The GNexus is a wonderful phone, of course, and I look forward to moving to it full-time, sometime, but seeing HWA JellyBean on the D3 would be pretty satisfying. And I still love the keyboard. The Droid3 running ICS or JB would make an excellent replacement for my son's old OGDroid with the cracked digitizer...

No rush now I have a new GNexus as my backup phone,

Glenn

Upvote 0
I don't want to root, but if Verizon and Motorola will not update my D3 I am given no choice.

However, I would like video and flash to work.

Are there any ICS roms that are nearly feature-complete? What is still busted?

It sounds like SteelDroid basically works. Any issues there?

And I agree on Nexus. No more locked phones for me, even though I really like having a hardware keyboard.

Upvote 0
I'll take the $100 cause I'm ready to upgrade already. Took this to Greece again and GSM worked but boy the phone is slow... the camera is slowwww, the screens are slowwww, the pic gallery is slowww. What the heck is happening? It's not like I've installed much more than last year when I took this to Greece. I want jelly bean & "Butter".
I'm telling you... operating systems & computers are like people. They slow with age.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones