• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I doubt Ice Cream sandwich is coming to phones. Its supposed to be a combination of honeycomb and previous android versions to play nicely on phones and tablets. I'm not even sure what version number it is. is it 2.4? Is it 3.xx? I would take Gingerbread with a new version of sense though on the Incredible though.

Upvote 0
I doubt Ice Cream sandwich is coming to phones. Its supposed to be a combination of honeycomb and previous android versions to play nicely on phones and tablets. I'm not even sure what version number it is. is it 2.4? Is it 3.xx? I would take Gingerbread with a new version of sense though on the Incredible though.

Just hang on there a bit longer. I called HTC tech support a few days ago about an issue I was having with my Incredible.....the lady I spoke with told me we ARE getting Gingerbread this summer but we ARE NOT getting the new version of Sense. She had said that none of the current phones out now will be geting the updated Sense....only new phones released will be getting them. Sounds like she knew what she was talking about...I do believe her about Gingerbread....and I'm hoping she's wrong about the new Sense.....guess we'll all find out soon enough.

Upvote 0

In the first sentence you say that you think Ice Cream won't get to phones. But then you say it's a unification of the Tablet and Phone lines of android. Which is it?

Upvote 0
It isn't Google that is holding back our updates; blame HTC for Sense and Verizon for "Quality Control." Having said that, I'm running CM7 Gingerbread so I can't complain.

At the same time, blame google for not using its weight more, not making it so handset skins were separate from OS updates (os updates should push directly and work on any phone), and for some reason allowing phone makers to make non-system applications non-uninstallable.

Upvote 0
It isn't Google that is holding back our updates; blame HTC for Sense and Verizon for "Quality Control." Having said that, I'm running CM7 Gingerbread so I can't complain.

Well, HTC is the fastest manufacturer for updates, and Verizon the fastest carrier...so you can't really blame them too much. The main person to blame is the public, for their impossible to meet demands for quality, and demand to have it now.

Anyways, as far as this goes...it really seems like gingerbread and honeycomb are just being swept under the rug. Very few devices are getting either one.

Upvote 0
In the first sentence you say that you think Ice Cream won't get to phones. But then you say it's a unification of the Tablet and Phone lines of android. Which is it?

I'm saying Ice Cream sandwich is a version of Android that combines tablet and and current Android for phone features that will be released to newer devices and hardware.

Also, it wasn't made clear what version number will be attached to this version.

Upvote 0
I'm saying Ice Cream sandwich is a version of Android that combines tablet and and current Android for phone features that will be released to newer devices and hardware.

Also, it wasn't made clear what version number will be attached to this version.

You didn't read the Engadget or Phandroid release close enough then.

Ice Cream sandwich will be version 2.4.

It will be released for phones and tablets alike.

Upvote 0

The real question is with ice creams holographic and 3d Chipset will even high end devices such as the zoom , atrix. Or even the evolution 3d be able to run the os

Upvote 0

I am seeing varying things online about the version though. the article linked in the OP has 2.4 in the URL but has no mention of it in the article itself. the I/O presentation slides also didn't mention 2.4. And like a commenter said in the article linked, 2.4 was also rumored to be gingerbread als. has any of that been confirmed?

I'm not claiming to be an expert but I just haven't seen a definitive version number attached to it.

Upvote 0
You're kidding right?

The chances of the Inc getting OTA GingerBread are about 1 in 1,000,000. The chances of the Inc getting anything newer than GingerBread are none at all.

I think we've seen quite a few HTC statements that the Inc will be getting GBread. Agreed about Ice Cream Sandwhich though; I have a feeling the Inc won't have the power to run it seeing what they want to do.

Upvote 0
From Phonescoop:

No New Hardware Requirements for Ice Cream Sandwich
Tuesday, 12:47 PM by Eric M. Zeman

Google today confirmed that the new Ice Cream Sandwich system software will be able to run on nearly all current Android hardware. It won't have any specific hardware requirements that might preclude it from working on older handsets.
from Google

Upvote 0
From Phonescoop:

Google today confirmed that the new Ice Cream Sandwich system software will be able to run on nearly all current Android hardware. It won't have any specific hardware requirements that might preclude it from working on older handsets.
from Google

YEAH i reallly really dont believe that

Upvote 0
From Phonescoop:

from Google

Nice! I still don't see the Inc getting the official ICS release, but hey, I've been wrong before. Hopefully the mod community will cook us up some good ICS ROM's anyways so those rooted will feel the love.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones