Ice Cream SandwichGeneral

Last Updated:

1. lodestar

lodestar Active Member

Anyone know if we (Tab Plus) will be getting ICS?

Advertisement
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Please tell me what carrier you have so that I might better help you.
  3. colnago

colnago Well-Known Member

4. lodestar

lodestar Active Member

Hi, I thought the Tab Plus didn't come with a carrier? I thought it was just wifi?
  5. colnago

There are carrier branded, 3G capable models as well.
  6. 40wnks

40wnks Member

Colnago, maybe I have mentioned this before but that particular link is close to 3 months old and Samsung was flipping back and forth on this for a while after this I think. If you try their technical support chat feature, those folks say we have no current info on that, and that was one month ago.
    Bill
  7. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

40wnks likes this.
  8. 40wnks

40wnks Member

Great news! Thanks!
    Bill
  9. Lizardroid

Lizardroid Active Member

Great news indeed!
  10. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

I have heard the updates could be coming "soon" as in a week or two. Read that it would only be sent to tablets registered on Samsung.com initially, then later available in the Android Market.
    I don't know if that is true, just what I read in a thread on another forum based on what someone there got from tech support.
  11. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

BTW - the link I got the info about needing to Register is here - I don't endorse or certify the info is correct. xda-developers - View Single Post - GT-p6210 ICS released by May 1st

[[ mods I apologize if link to a diff forum is frowned on here ]]

Personally it may be that the tech support person has been given incorrect info, told to say that to get more people to register, so Samsung can harvest more data from us. To sell to people who call us up at all hours despite us being on the no call list, etc.
  12. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

According to Endgadget today, we will see the update start in July which means most will get in August. Which, knowing Samsung means September/October.

Very very frustrating. August is not the second quarter. I was outright lied to when I was sold this with a display that said "ICS coming soon"

This will be my final Samsung product. I have 4 Samsung TVs, and have had 6 samsung phones in my family, and now this tablet. They are fine with hardware, but anything that needs updated, forget it. They have 99% of their eggs in new development, which means whatever you buy from them is all but abandoned as soon as you buy it. I am seriously considering selling this device for something that actually runs ICS.

ICS coming to Samsung Galaxy Tabs 10.1, 8.9, 7.7 and 7.0 Plus starting in July -- Engadget
  13. ouch1976

ouch1976 Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are pretty bad with the updates. Just look what's been going on with the Galaxy Nexus. As a nexus device, it's supposed to receive the latest versions of Android before other devices, yet it's lagged multiple times. I still love the device for it's openess and amazing developer support, but it's a pain if you don't want to root and get your hands dirty. As for the GT7+, I've just put mine up for sale. It's a fun toy, but I'm over it.
  14. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

I have heard that it was released in the past day or so to the 7.7 tablet.

Hopefully that means the 7 plus is next and mere hours away...
  15. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

I got an email yesterday from Samsung, they updated some documentation and had some new videos on how to upgrade firmware. Looks to me like it might be in preparation for rolling out ICS. I checked at midnight and didn't see an update yet, but I will be somewhere with faster internet in awhile so I will check again when I get there.
    40wnks likes this.
  16. sulasno

sulasno Well-Known Member

I updated my Note to Android 4.03 this morning and I expect the update to the Tab next week (hopefully)
  17. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

18. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Those of us with WiFi only outside of Austria may have to wait a while... I read that they have yet to update the 7.7 models WiFi only and the 3g models got updated last week.

I don't know if that is true (I dont even know for sure there is a 3g 7.7), but it is enough to make me stop holding my breath...
  19. colnago

I have the T-Mobile (USA) 7.0 Plus version...no update available via "Check for updates", but I'm updating now via Kies.
  20. colnago

NM...must have been an old update never performed. Now on ver.: PDA:KL2 / PHONE:KL2 / CSC:KL2 (TMB)
  21. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Yeah I am not sure some of the secondary sources I read earlier had it correctly. When I went to the Firmware site I only saw Austria (which covers much of Europe) but not for anywhere else.
  22. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Another firmware update for the 6200 dropped today, BUT it was an older one , for Hong Kong, built in January. Not sure if this was a recent nationalization of an older build, or if they just sit on builds like that for that long. Anyhow, a false alarm :(

Again, the 6810 (wifi for the 7.7) has not yet hit, and in fact I think only the Austrian zone 3G model has been dropped so far for the 7.7, a week later. That doesn't bode happy tidings for users in other zones, or the wifi only users.
  23. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

They just dropped an old GT-P6210 firmware from jan, previously unreleased. I wonder if this is in preparation to before dropping the newest one..

The one they just dropped is :
    Cellular south 2012 January Android 3.2 P6210UELA3 PDA: P6210UELA3
    CSC: P6210XARLA3
    Version:
    Date: 2012-01-17
    Regions:

Not sure why Cellular South would have a special version of the 6210...
  24. vobguy

vobguy Well-Known Member

Ding Ding Ding - we have another ICS drop - this one is for the UK region of the P6210 !
    I may try and load it myself if I get impatient... even though i would rather have the one for my region.
    GT-P6210 United Kingdom / Ireland 2012 June Android 4.0.4 P6210XXLPL P6210OXALPL

To my knowledge this is the first Wi Fi only to drop on any of the ones waiting for ICS.

This will open it up for a bunch more folks.
  25. prmax

prmax Well-Known Member

Installed and liking it...