• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

icloud equivalent for Android

smurph1

Android Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2010
Northern Ireland, UK
Not sure if this is the best place to post....but here goes.

I know my phone backs up contacts/calendar info. online, but i am trying to get the best way to back up my photos?
A while back I tried to setup Folderysnc to save them to Google Drive.
Is there a better automated way to do this, such as using Picasa, or Google+ autobackup?
Though I don't like G+, as I don't want a social network!

I've been using SugarSync to do exactly what iCloud does before there even was an iCloud.

Before the iCloud was the MobileMe.
Before the MobileMe was the .Mac.
Before the .Mac was the iTools.
Before the iTools was the eWorld.
Before the eWorld was the AppleLink.
Before the AppleLink was the ....erm....AOL?...CompuServe?

I wonder what's next for Apple? - when they've had enough of the iCloud.

Upvote 0
in the 1990s there was an 'online hard disk drive' that later went defuct. i wish i could remember its name. and how many of us used our email inboxes as cloud storage by emailing stuff to ourselves? i used to send photos that way, often when visiting the deer, as my crap phone was a camera flip phone and smartphones didn't exist yet, and when i'd get back home i'd use my desktop computer to upload them to whereever i wanted.

Upvote 0
if you selected 'keep my device backed up with Google' when you first got the phone it should back up all photos to Picasa, and it will have an 'auto-backup' folder in your photo gallery. but unlike iCloud, it also keeps your apps backed up.

I've seen it mentioned here and there that the Picasa sync can be the culprit if your gallery is slow to load, so you have to either disable Picasa or use a custom gallery app if you find that the stock one is laggy, so bear that in mind!

Upvote 0
if you selected 'keep my device backed up with Google' when you first got the phone it should back up all photos to Picasa, and it will have an 'auto-backup' folder in your photo gallery. but unlike iCloud, it also keeps your apps backed up.

Interesting ..

Is there a way to enable this after you setup your phone?

One thing I really like about iCloud :eek: is how, when my missus' iP5 connects to WiFi, all her pictures are automatically sync'd with her iPad (which is so much better for viewing pictures). Can that be set up to work with say an N4 and an N7/10?

Upvote 0
Will investigate Dropbox, Sugarsync & Picasa, though Google seem to be pushing the Google+ option over picasa (which isn't even in the google options when viewing gmail anymore).
Can dropbox be setup online, fiddling about with apps with unknown icons is dodgy?!

Will it also backup texts & downloads etc, or is just folder to folder, and not true phone back-up to cloud?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones