• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Icon Pics look Grainy at best

bartjunited

Nov 24, 2009
Hi can anyone help Im a HTC Hero newbie.

my icon pics that i attach for contacts look really grainy when i call them.

These are all decent sized pics which i previously used on a S.E phone without any problems.

when i add a pic to a contact i have to choose part of the pic rather than the whole pic, even if i chose as large a selection as poss it still looks a bir grainy when using the pic.

Any ideas pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

btw im using the default People App unless there is something better i should be using

You can extend the selection area you know, and drag it out so that it selects the whole picture?

If you didn't do this and only selected a smaller section of your photo, the Hero would have stretched that smaller segment out possibly causing the grainy effect.

I bet the picture will be clear if you select the whole picture! Try it and let me know if it works.

Upvote 0
Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dude you are right.

this morning i spoke to HTC & T mobile & they thought it could be cos i had an old firmware on my phone. So i upgraded to the latest ROM version & hey presto it seemed to work fine.

So i then proceeded to re-add all the pics today to my phone, meanwhile I had NOT sync'd my contacts at all I tend to turn off the Internet when not using it.

Once i saw your mail I thought let me try this.

I let it Sync the contacts & lo & behold it def resizes the pics on Google prob to save space on the contact web pages. Now all the pics look sh!t again.

arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

oh well back to re-add ALLLLLLLLL the pics again & no more Google Synching

thanks though at least it solved my issue

Upvote 0
i heard that this is bc when you sync the contacts with google, google stores them as little tiny pics. then when they sync back to your phone for use as a contact, they are small and have to be resized up. i read this on this forum somewhere.... i didn't used to sync with google and my contact pics looked great but now that i do they are tiny a pixelated :(

Ahh wow, google dropped one with this..

Upvote 0
Never spotted this thread before either. Glad i did as i was about to sync contacts to google, but wont be doing so now.

I can understand google storing a tiny version (storage still isnt infinite even these days) but at the very least the phone should give you the option to use the local image if it still exists.

Same goes for facebook contacts, i dont necessarily want to use somebody's facebook profile picture - give me control of my phone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones