• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Icons for apps on the SD card don't load

gpshslax

Dec 3, 2010
Cushing, OK
Anyone else experienced this?

On bootup all my apps that are on the SD card that have homescreen shortcuts come up as the default blue icon with the gear on it. They will onyl show up if something causes the launcher to crash (and therefore) reload. Doesn't affect anything ... but annoys the crap out of me.

I'm sur eit's because the interface loads before the SD is mounted and therefore the icons are unavilable. Anyone know how to fix this?

Apps that have widgets or use shortcuts should not be on the SD card. Move those with widgets and shortcuts back to your phone and it should solve the problem.

Obviously moving them back would solve the problem. I'm in the habit of keeping most apps (unless they have a widget I use) on the SD. Although space isen't much of an issue with the RAZR I have the habit from my previous android where it was.

In any case there isen't a "problem" per se with the the shortcut other than the icon won't load unless the launcher crashes and comes back (at which time they load normally). My prevrous android was an HTC and it didn't have this issue. My wife currently has a rezound and it doesn't have this issue. This is not endemic to android, it's something Motorola is doing wrong.

Is there any soution to this (i. e. make it work properly) rather than the work around of just not using app to SD?

Does anyone know which app to force close to get the GUI to reload or a way to refresh it manually?

Upvote 0
Can you be a little more specific about which apps are not working? Or if you are using widgets or shortcuts with said apps? Maybe I can try and replicate and see if I have the same problem?

I put most of my larger apps on my sd card, sort of out of habit more than necessity... This phone has enough storage to run more apps than I could ever use but I've always had HTC phones with very little internal storage in the past, so it is just ingrained for me lol....

Upvote 0
Can you be a little more specific about which apps are not working? Or if you are using widgets or shortcuts with said apps? Maybe I can try and replicate and see if I have the same problem?

I put most of my larger apps on my sd card, sort of out of habit more than necessity... This phone has enough storage to run more apps than I could ever use but I've always had HTC phones with very little internal storage in the past, so it is just ingrained for me lol....

I have the same habit for the same reason (came from HTC and habitually move most apps to SD).

To be clear, it's not that any particular app is not working. They all work just fine. Anything that I use the widget for I keep on internal memory so the widget works. All of my apps that are on SD that happen to have shortcut will not display the icon, rather they just get the generic blue gear icon. This includes: Dolphin Browser; Opera Mini; Craigslist; eFile; Grocery IQ; Bump; and My Tracks at this time. However if I move any of them back from SD and reboot the icon will load fine. Likewise if I move any of my other apps to SD then then on reboot I loose the icon (please note: I mean only the icon on the desktop and not in the app drawer).

All of the shortcuts look fine, it's just that they look ugly.

Upvote 0
I've noticed this too...but only with new apps.

After I went through the steps of deleting the default blue icon and replacing it...my phone loads the icons just fine.

I'm not exactly sure how these phones operate just yet, but could it be that the icons load from memory instead of the SD after they have been there and used a few times...just a thought.

I've went through this with a Blackjack app, 2 different poker apps, and 2 weather apps....all are still on my phone, installed on the SD...and the icons load fine.

Upvote 0
I imagine that when you first put the shortcut icon on the home screen it is looking at a particular location for the icon file. When you move the app it moves the icon, the shortcut is unchanged and the icon is no longer there. My dragging the icon to the trash and putting a new shortcut icon on the home screen, the shortcut is now looking at the new location.

Makes perfect sense now that I think about it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones