Icons getting stacked on top of each other.Support

1. Recoil1

Recoil1 Well-Known Member

I just picked up a Sprint One and when I downloaded the apps to the phone they ended up just stacking on top of each other. Is there any way to disable this since I have now filled my screens with apps. There is no more room to put other apps and it looks messy when I download additional apps and it automatically puts it on top of an existing app icon on my screen.

Advertisement
    :
  2. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

You mean they are being added to folders?

Go into your Google store app and make sure you don't have the option to add shortcuts ticked.
    PyroSporker likes this.
  3. gonowhere

gonowhere Well-Known Member

When you download apps they automatically put them on a screen, you can just remove them to clean it up, they are also in your app drawer.

You can also add extra screens if needed.
    marctronixx likes this.
  4. Recoil1

No, they are being added right on top of the other icons. In essence there are two icons in the same space. The one on top is the one that opens. I just remove it from the page and it leaves the original there.

It looks like this is just a small bug and I have since done what you said as I couldn't remember where that setting was. It shouldn't do that any more since I have maxed out all my screen available I didn't want to keep finding apps being put on top of others where I didn't want them to go.
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. KOLIO

KOLIO NOTEoriously XPOSED Guide

Are you using the stock SENSE 5 U/I or,are you using an aftermarket launcher,such as APEX/HOLO/NOVA,or GO Launcher (or any aftermarket launcher)?
    marctronixx likes this.
  6. Recoil1

Stock Sense. It was after I walked out of the store and started downloading all the apps that I had previously on my phone that I noticed that my screens were covered in weird looking icons. I then realized that it was just those Icons doubled up on top of one another.
  7. panzerghost

panzerghost Member

it sounds like folders to me too; maybe post a screen shot?
    marctronixx likes this.
  8. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

It could be an application compatibility issue of some sort since it happened after dumping a bunch of apps to the phone?
    I tried installing an application that was designed for devices which feature a qHD resolution. The One has a full HD resolution. When the application was installed and running it overlapped all the icons in the application drawer to wedge them into a tiny screen area. There was 2-3 icons stacked directly on top of eachother.
    marctronixx and KOLIO like this.
  9. Recoil1

I wanted to take a screen shot of the phone with the apps stacked on top of one other but after downloading another app with all my screen space used it would not stack the icons on top of one another anymore it would just tell me "all my home screens are full". I don't know if it was me going into the play store and turning off and then back on the "auto add widgets" or if it was the update that I just put on the phone from Sprint but as of now it looks like the problem has fixed itself. Just in case I still went back and turned off the auto add widgets in the play store.
  10. PyroSporker

PyroSporker Well-Known Member

Sounds like that must have been the issue :)

I wonder if the home screen icon overflow limit is set too high because of BlinkFeed? Maybe Sense was not designed to exclude the open screen area underneath the forced BlinkFeed widget. At least it is smart enough not to blindly hide icons underneath BlinkFeed - maybe it just forces them onto the adjacent home screen even if it is full?
    marctronixx likes this.
  11. Recoil1

Good thinking as I did have blinkfeed as my home page when I downloaded the apps. I have since moved blinkfeed to another page and made something else my homepage. To test this theory I went back and made blinkfeed my home page, turned on the auto widget add in the play store and downloaded another app but still got the "your homescreen is full" warning and it did not install the icon on any screen.

Guess it was just a fluke on mine.
  12. mtschaef

mtschaef New Member

I just got my HTC One last night and this same issue of the Icons getting stacked on top of each other happened to me.
    They are NOT folders. They are simply two icons on top of one another.
    I have taken screenshots and you can see that two icons are on top of each other by looking at the Icon Name below the icons.
    Screenshot_2013-09-19-07-53-40_small.png
  13. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

If you try to add an app to that homepage from the app drawer will it let you and will if go on top of another app?

If yes then there's something worryingly wrong.

If no, download a few more apps from the Play Store (making sure that the option to add an icon to the homescreen is ticked) and see if it lets you then.

If it does then it'll only be a problem with downloading apps from the Play Store and unticking that option should hopefully fix it.

It's a stupid option in my opinion anyway.
  14. Adar

Adar Well-Known Member

I actually had that happen way back when I first got the One, not long after it was released, and before I updated the firmware. I got the phone and started immediately downloading all of my apps. I didn't bother to look at the icons as I was going, but when I was done, I had a TON that were stacked on top of each other. I never found out WHY it did it, or any way to fix it, short of what I did, which was to manually delete all of them.

Since that time, I have not run into the problem again, no matter how many apps I install. To be fair, I do have one whole homescreen that is empty, and I wouldn't need to install enough apps to fill that screen. It may also have been fixed in the update I did. There were two I think from when I got it (this is on Sprint). In any case, I know you aren't crazy, because I had the same thing happen. Unfortunately, it only happened that one time, and I have no clue why, or why I don't run into it anymore. I ASSUME thatwhen I was installing all of my apps, the default was to also place an icon on the homescreen. Once I filled the homescreen, it just kept putting them there on top of the others. Possibly I don't see it anymore because of a subsequent update, or just because I don't add icons to the homescreen automatically anymore. If I want it on the homescreen I manually put it there.
  15. mtschaef

mtschaef New Member

I had already taken the time to move each of the ones that had this to new/different places.
    I then added more apps to fill the empty spaces and tried to add new shortcuts but received a "No more room on this screen".
    I tried to download new apps from the Play store and nothing got created to the home screens even with the "Auto-add Widgets" selected.
    I did notice that when removing the app on top of the other that I could move it on top of another single app and it would put it into a folder. The only exception I found was the last icon in the most bottom-right corner of the last screen. This one wouldn't not move into a folder and would always just show up on top of any icon I placed it. I had to either move it to an empty spot or "X Remove" it.