• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS 4.0.3 Battery Life

How is your battery Life in ICS?

• Better

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Same

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Worse

Votes: 27 49.1%

• Total voters
Last night I did what lunatic59 suggested. You HAVE TO DO A FULL FACTORY RESET. Meaning you have to reformat the device memory, usb storage, and your SD card if you have one installed. Just make sure you backup your important files. I was having horrible battery life as well until I did a full factory reset. Now I'm having amazing battery life and I'm using stock ICS.

Upvote 0
At 11.5 hrs, I am still at 60 percent battery life. That is after a day of heavier than normal use including taking and uploading via 4g around 20 pictures. Recording a video and uploading via wifi. Having sync on all programs... gmail, facebook, and exchange. Standard texting, and generally messing around with it to see what ICS has to offer.

I would probably be in the 30% area with Gingerbread and sync turned off for all apps. I did turn off wifi and gps during the day out of habit with Gingerbread.

I'm liking it.

Are you running stock? Or are you rooted?

What about any battery apps like juice defender?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have android system is 33% of power usage and voice calls 35%. The rest is cell standby at 13%, screen at 9%, etc. Is that normal for the android system to use so much power?
On a related note, I tried to take a screenshot of my power use screen, but I don't know where to go after you press the power button then the home button. Where does the picture go?

Gallery -> Screen Campture

Reactions: wolfyboy359
Upvote 0
Troubleshooting this is likely going to be a one-thing-at-a-time, process of elimination, er, process. :D

Start by shutting off your wireless and network functions for at least an hour, two would be better. Then check the battery graph. If it levels off, your problem likely has something to do with communications. If so, then you may want to go into each app that uses the communications and set the update frequencies to longer times. Check the settings in e-mail, FaceBook, Google+, etc. etc. Then see how it goes from there after you turn the comms back on.

If turning off the comms doesn't work, try turning off things like active wallpapers and other background processes. You may find it moderately useful to go to the task manager and Clear Memory. Only do this one time. It serves no purpose to bang away at this repeatedly.

One of the things I had to do with GB was to just delete all downloaded apps and then reinstall them one at a time and wait an hour or so to see if any of them were trashing my batteries. Found a couple of culprits and perma-deleted them.

The above is no solution by any means, but it may help to get you started. Frustrating, I know.

--Wag--

Upvote 0
Calibrating the battery did not help. what did help was to do a factory reset. It's a pain, but it works. My battery life has improved exponentially.

I know that doing this will basically reset my phone and make it seem like Its brand new.

Just to make sure though, diong this required you to redownload all your apps, correct?

What else did you need to do to get it back to normal?

thanks

Upvote 0
Just to make sure though, diong this required you to redownload all your apps, correct?

What else did you need to do to get it back to normal?

thanks[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have latest version of kies. Back up your music, pics, email, SMS you want to keep, and browser bookmarks. kies can be frustrating so be patient.

Your apps will download automatically. Once that's done, restore your stuff.

The most time consuming thing for me was to organize all my home pages, widgets and my docked apps.

I use google for calendar and contacts, so that wasn't an issue for me. If you use outlook you may have to make a sure you're all synched up before you do the reset.

It takes a while, but the difference on phone performance is amazing.

Good luck.

Reactions: maxmaxter
Upvote 0
Make sure you have latest version of kies. Back up your music, pics, email, SMS you want to keep, and browser bookmarks. kies can be frustrating so be patient.

Your apps will download automatically. Once that's done, restore your stuff.

The most time consuming thing for me was to organize all my home pages, widgets and my docked apps.

I use google for calendar and contacts, so that wasn't an issue for me. If you use outlook you may have to make a sure you're all synched up before you do the reset.

It takes a while, but the difference on phone performance is amazing.

Good luck.

I did a hard reset of the OS as recommended (turn off phone, hold up and down volume buttons and power buttons together until menu appears, follow menu to do a reset). When the phone restarts, you can login into your google account and it will immediately download ALL the apps that were in your phone before, effectively installing them from scratch (automated = awesome).

The battery lasts much more just by doing that, yet there is one app that keeps consuming the battery a tad faster. I found it to be google play:thinking:. If you hold the "home button", it will show you the tasks in memory. Swipe google play left/right to remove it from memory after using it and that's it! Battery now is LEVELS of magnitude more lasting than GB or ICS-upgraded.

stock ICS is good... Have fun!!! ;)

Upvote 0
I did a hard reset of the OS as recommended (turn off phone, hold up and down volume buttons and power buttons together until menu appears, follow menu to do a reset). When the phone restarts, you can login into your google account and it will immediately download ALL the apps that were in your phone before, effectively installing them from scratch (automated = awesome).

The battery lasts much more just by doing that, yet there is one app that keeps consuming the battery a tad faster. I found it to be google play:thinking:. If you hold the "home button", it will show you the tasks in memory. Swipe google play left/right to remove it from memory after using it and that's it! Battery now is LEVELS of magnitude more lasting than GB or ICS-upgraded.

stock ICS is good... Have fun!!! ;)

FYI, after a factory reset, the Play store will show a lot of power usage because it's syncing and restoring your apps. It should settle down on it's own. :)

Upvote 0
I have a samsung Galaxy S2 sgh-i777. When I 1st updated to ICS battery lasted 3h at best. I turned off phone did a 100% charge removed batterie for 3 mins put battery back in turned on phone and can now go 24h+ on a charge running wi-fi bluetooth and weather update every hour with pretty heavy usage.

After I upgraded to ICS my battery usage stunk bad. Could not get through day without having to throw back on charge. I was very unhappy. THen I saw the above, either this one specifically or one similar and I tried it. I am happy to say that my battery drain is to back to what it was before (I could at least make it to bedtime before needing charge) if not maybe a little better. I really cannot say if it is better yet. Anyway, thanks for the forums.
Now I wonder if I should try that resetting and reloading thing that people are talking about......? :D

Upvote 0
I did a reset of the OS and Google Play re-installed all my apps automatically (huge battery drain). As I was told by lunatic59 (see above), Google Play would stabilize after all install and updates and battery would be better. I also did the drain battery and recharge fully (under USB - slower charging is better). Battery Life is PERFECT!!! Only 1 of my apps seems to be using the battery like crazy when loaded in the memory - Facebook. If I open Facebook, everything is ok, but when I press home or back, Facebook for some reason keeps updating (battery drain and data usage hog). I remove Facebook from active memory (hold home and swipe Facebook app left/right). Battery is perfect again. I have gone over 24 hours with going online sporadically, watching youtube videos and talking on the phone.
I noticed this by using CPUspy. When Facebook is under memory, it seems the CPU runs at 200 MHz, and doesn't go into deep sleep... I ran this test with several of my apps for about 3 weeks until I found the source.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones