• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ICS add gmail app (not widget) to desktop?

jmajacobs

Lurker
Oct 26, 2012
Before the ICS update, I had an icon for email which I used for my wife's earthlink email and an icon for gmail which I used to access my gmail account. The ICS update made the gmail icon go away. I can see the gmail app in my apps list and I can open it and see my messages. But I cannot figure out how to put an icon on the desktop for gmail. It's its own app, not an account within the general email app. Any idea how to do this? Thanks.

How do you open the app drawer? Droid Bionic, ICS. Every way I open apps via settings or the apps icon at the bottom or via the settings gear in the notifications tray - no matter how I get to the apps, there is no long push that will allow me to move gmail anywhere. What am I missing?

Well the App icon at the bottom center is the App Drawer icon. Now, I use Go Launcher, but when I long press an app icon, after a moment I get thumbnails at the bottom of the screen of all my screens and I can then slide it to whatever screen I want. From what I have heard, it's suppose to be similar if not identical to that.

Upvote 0
How do you open the app drawer? Droid Bionic, ICS. Every way I open apps via settings or the apps icon at the bottom or via the settings gear in the notifications tray - no matter how I get to the apps, there is no long push that will allow me to move gmail anywhere. What am I missing?

You get to the app drawer by selecting the center icon at the bottom of the home screen.

You then find the screen with the Gmail icon. You select that icon and hold down on it until you see your homescreen in the background.

Move the icon to the location on your homescreen that you want it to occupy.

... Thom

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones